Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Awol P45 and emergency tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
My previous employer is claiming that they've posted my P45 to me (and we've confirmed that they do have my correct one), yet I haven't received it in the post. A Statement of Earnings which they posted once I reported I hadn't received the P45 has reached me fine. So my P45 is lost and I've filled in a P46 for my new employer.

How will this affect the rate at which I'm taxed? If I am on the Emergency tax code instead of the normal 22%, will I notice the difference in monetary terms? (I would imagine the answer to this is yes, and probably in the Revenue's favour, although I might be wrong?)
Lastly, how much of a hassle is it to claim tax back; has anyone has experience of this before?

Needless to say I am so annoyed that I am missing my P45 at all, and wondering how come I can receive one letter but not another from my previous employer when they've both been sent to the same address :impissed:

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    P45's can and do go missing due to godd ole Royal Mail. I had to chase my old employers up for about six weeks (three of which I wasnt in the country) to get my previous P45.

If you filled in a P46, and ticked box 1 or 2 then you should be okay. You might end up on a week/month one tax code (where each payslip is taxed individaully rather then cumlativley) but the difference in tax is normally tiny.

And make sure you hand your P45 in if you do recieve it as payroll can use the figures to recalculate your tax.
    Pb, if your P45 went missing due to Royal Mail, how come you chased your previous employer? I was doing the same but they are getting annoyed because as far as they're concerned, they did their job by putting the letter in the post box and now it's RM's fault if I haven't received it.

I definitely intended to hand the P45 in, but that's if I ever get it!
    Your new employer can give you a P60 which sorts your tax out. Or it used to I'm not sure if that has changed over the years.
    Luce wrote: »
    Pb, if your P45 went missing due to Royal Mail, how come you chased your previous employer? I was doing the same but they are getting annoyed because as far as they're concerned, they did their job by putting the letter in the post box and now it's RM's fault if I haven't received it.

Mine didnt get lost, it just took six bloody weeks to get it (but I did use do the payroll at that place it shows how high up the managers priorities it was :yeees: )

Firesilk: You only get a P60 certificate at the end of the tax year, you can use it for rebates but not for the new tax year when you change jobs.

Firesilk: You only get a P60 certificate at the end of the tax year, you can use it for rebates but not for the new tax year when you change jobs.

Oh right I must have been thinking of something else...I was going back about 12 years when I used to run a shop! Haha, my memory is not the best!