Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Live oop North?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Liverpool?
    Been there lately?
    Massive regeneration going on in the city.
    Huge construction sites huge buildings going up.
    But ...i think this country is screwed anyway.
    We'll never be able to be a proper part of Europe, meaning our status and influence in the world can only go down.
    Only big is going to survive in the near future.
    North America ...Asia ...Eurasia.
    Russia are powering European production.
    Who and what is going to power ours?
    Investment in production will be happening in the big places ...which we are refusing to join.
    London indeed will survive and possibly thrive for a while.
    The rest of the nation is screwed ...we have what to offer the world?
    What would you invest time and money in right now in the UK?

Pessimism about the country is good, means something will change - but remember that we have been England for over 1000 years - There is always a need for something in the world so i honestly don't think this country will die.

Years down the line when china runs out of coal it might occur to us that we have about 50 billion tons underneath us, and they are already talking of reopening iron mines because of the huge demand worldwide for that.

I think we are a long long way from being finished, but even on the day we are done dusted down and out.. we can all migrate to another country and work there! :thumb:
  • Options
    I think this report gives rather too optimistic a portrait of London, truth be told. Yes, there's a hell of a lot of money going around that city - partly thanks to rich kids in the city getting massive bonuses in the last few years. But let's also remember that some of the poorest districts in the UK are in London - Tower Hamlets, for example. Every city has its good and bad parts.

Let's take another example - Manchester. It is reportedly the most regenerated city in the world. One visit and you can clearly see that. Comedians even like to joke that they had to knock down some of the old regenerations to put the new ones in place. Some parts of Manchester generally do very well - Didsbury in the south, or places such as Deansgate to the west of the city centre. Last time I was there, I saw quite a few developments taking place. You've also got your poorer districts such as Moss Side, which has a reputation for gang-related shootings and murders. Like in London, many of Manchester's poorest areas are in the east of the city. Serious question - is geography a factor in this, or is it just a coincidence?
  • Options
    I'd much rather live up here than London, too crowded, too expensive, everyone is in too much of a rush and noone seems to have any spatial awareness, either that or the local past time is walking into people.
  • Options
    To throw a couple of cliches about, life's always greener on the other side.

Also, with money one can enjoy life almost anywhere.

It's debatable whether it's better to be skint in London or up North. Rents are probably cheaper up north. Don't think there is that much gap in prices in most other things though.
  • Options
    Apart from london, i think most things are about the same.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Apart from london, i think most things are about the same.

:no: I've noticed the difference in house prices, rent, drinks, eating out etc...it's all more expensive in the south even outside London.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What a load of rubbish!

Mind you for those worth seeing if regeneration is worth it might be worth watching this - http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/kevin-s-big-town-plan/ or at least watching it on 4OD. Shows how they are trying to regenerate Castleford in West Yorkshire, Channel 4 stumped up about £100,000 for the project a couple of years ago and the project as boomed.

As someone who lives close to Cas Vegas (as its affectionately known) the change the project and regeneration as had, even in the short time its all been planned is quite amazing.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    :no: I've noticed the difference in house prices, rent, drinks, eating out etc...it's all more expensive in the south even outside London.

Reflected in the wages too. Type of starting wage that you would get 18,000-20,000 grand for in the South only gets you 13,000 up north - so I'd say that it is only fair.
  • Options
    London as a major financial centre on the world stage is about to dissapear ...heading east.
    The coal and iron will be mined ...for China and India.
    Low paid work is better than no work i spose.
  • Options
    Liverpool?
    Been there lately?
    Massive regeneration going on in the city.
    Huge construction sites huge buildings going up.
    That doesn't mean it's contributing to the economy. Is it? Because any city can have massive regeneration if given the money Liverpool have had. The challenge is turning that into a vibrant economy.
  • Options
    London as a major financial centre on the world stage is about to dissapear ...heading east.

I really disagree. It isn't going anywhere...
  • Options
    That doesn't mean it's contributing to the economy.
    It probably wont.
    But for a while it created work and wages ...to be spent localy mostly.
    Short lived yes.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I really disagree. It isn't going anywhere...

Oh yes it is.
    Watch this space.

You want to survive ...invest in silver.
  • Options
    Copper is a better investment.
  • Options
    Quite interesting observing this thread.
    Personally I would say that at the most you'll have strong competitors with London, but it is naive to think that London will lose its importance.
    You forget that just in Europe you have lots of smaller countries who are doing just fine. And yeah everyone might suffer a bit from the competition and the economy at the moment but to declare doomsday on London is taking it all a bit to far.