Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

aren't we being a bit stupid ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I agree that china is not the greatest of nation on humanitarian grounds and they have probably rightly been criticized but aren't we taking things a bit far now criticizing the fact that the singer in the olympic opening ceremony was miming ? I mean for goodness sake wouldn't we have done EXACTLY the same thing ? isn't it done on TV countless times ? thats the one problem with us we don't know when enough is enough and are the biggest hypocrites under the sun at times wiping out any little good we do accomplish

Comments

• Options
    There is no 'we'.
  • Options
    Well okay then - isn't the british press taking it too far by moaning about it?
  • Options
    True to be more accurate the media although it was the media that correctly pointed out china's bad dealings
  • Options
    Yes, its really a non story. Although I do feel sorry for the girl who wasnt chosen.

Personally I think the story of fans being bussed in is more interesting, they are going about it in such a bonkers totalitarian way - they are all dressed in the same way and have been given signs and inflatables to wave by the government.
  • Options
    Look, this is really very simple. We're in the middle of what the British media likes to call "silly season". It's the middle of August, our politicians have all fucked off on holiday, and there's a lot less going on. The newspapers have to be filled up somehow, so they have to scrap the bottom of the barrel to find something to write about. If there was more going on, this wouldn't even have been mentioned.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Look, this is really very simple. We're in the middle of what the British media likes to call "silly season". It's the middle of August, our politicians have all fucked off on holiday, and there's a lot less going on. The newspapers have to be filled up somehow, so they have to scrap the bottom of the barrel to find something to write about. If there was more going on, this wouldn't even have been mentioned.

Its not really the actual events which are interesting it is the mind set which is behind them. Apparently the change in the girl who was to be seen went right up to the Politburo - how fantastic is that?!
  • Options
    :yes: it is an interesting window into the mindset of the Chinese Government; together with things like the fake fireworks it shows how important the Chinese view getting the Olympics as perfect is.
  • Options
    :yes: it is an interesting window into the mindset of the Chinese Government; together with things like the fake fireworks it shows how important the Chinese view getting the Olympics as perfect is.

Which is why they are putting children into training camps at stupidly young ages and doing things that most people would think are too tough for adults.

Have you seen their 'womens' gymnastics team? Over 16 years old apparently! More like 12.
  • Options
    actually the issue was that the little girl singing in the ceremony wasnt only miming it, but also not the original singer. the singer was the original girl who were to sing but was replaced shortly before the ceremony because she wasnt pretty enough. how sad is that for the girl?
  • Options
    CoolMiguel wrote: »
    actually the issue was that the little girl singing in the ceremony wasnt only miming it, but also not the original singer. the singer was the original girl who were to sing but was replaced shortly before the ceremony because she wasnt pretty enough. how sad is that for the girl?

Its terrible for both, one is deemed too ugly to represent China, and the other is just some talentless mouth piece whose only asset is her being cute.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Which is why they are putting children into training camps at stupidly young ages and doing things that most people would think are too tough for adults.

Have you seen their 'womens' gymnastics team? Over 16 years old apparently! More like 12.
    Like Tom Daley?

I'm a bit dubious about the Chinese gymnastic team's true age tbh, but only because there has been controversy about it, not because of what they look like. I know a 20 year old who looks about 14. Bear in mind that gymnasts naturally look younger anyway. Also bear in mind that Chinese girls tend to look younger too. Not that I really care. They're the best in the world, so they should be allowed to compete imo. After all, why should you be 16 to compete in the Olympics, when you can compete in every other gymnastics event at a younger age? But that's another debate.
  • Options
    Like Tom Daley?

After all, why should you be 16 to compete in the Olympics, when you can compete in every other gymnastics event at a younger age? But that's another debate.

I dont know who Tom Daley is, is that our not very good diver?

Largely because it (hopefully) stops countries like China pushing tiny children through punishing training.
  • Options
    I dont know who Tom Daley is, is that our not very good diver?
    Yes, our 14 year old diver.
    Largely because it (hopefully) stops countries like China pushing tiny children through punishing training.
    How does it? If you think your child has a talent, you're going to push them in exactly the same way, even if they can't compete until they're 16. It'd be a ridiculous situation to have the under-16 tournament at a better standard than the full tournament. Unless you propose a ban on under-16 competitions altogether? A far more effective way would be to impose regulations on the amount of time children can spend training. But I wouldn't get to stuffy about China, because we have our fair share of pushy parents ourselves. There are reports of punch ups between parents in kids football tournaments in this country ffs.