Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental Health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

My name is Grace, and for several years, between the ages of 14 and 19, I suffered from bulimia, and depression. I attempted suicide several times, and at one point, was close to being sectioned.

My recovery has been a long and difficult process, but it is the achievement of which I am, and always will be, most proud.

I always hoped that I would be able to do something to help others when I was better. Now I am well, I have decided to take part in a 100k trek to raise money for the mental health charity, Mind. I am hoping to raise £3000 which can be used to help others who may not have had the standard of care I received myself.

Mind does amazing work, setting up support networks around Britain, providing services such as counselling and therapy, lobbying the government, and representing the views of people who are suffering from a mental illness. Their services are accessible and their work means that they can take some weight off the NHS and cover the shortfall. As a charity, they rely heavily on donations from people like you and me.

I am sure that many people on this forum have themselves been affected by a mental illness, either themselves or a family member, and know how hard it is, not only for the sufferer but for family and friends who can feel so helpless. There seems to be a taboo surrounding mental health issues, and I hope that my contribution to furthering the cause of mental health, may, in a tiny, tiny way, help to eliminate this.

I hope that people may like to sponsor me, a tiny amount, so I am able to achieve my target.

Sponsorship can be made at www.justgiving.com/gracedobsonhughes. It is a safe and secure website, and 28% will be added at no extra cost to you through gift aid.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Love,
Grace

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well done on getting well! it must have been a real struggle, but at least now, you have managed to turn it around and now you can help out other people who have been in a similar situation. hope it goes well for you. perhaps you can come back here and tell us about it, when you've done it.
    good luck. ;)