Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do you agree with UK athletes participating in the Chinese Olympics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Personally I don't the UK athletes should have gone to China, a country which routinely makes its citizens disappear and disallows them talking to foreign journalists. By going to the olympics we are putting money into the Chinese system which keeps the iron grip tight on the people of China, we are basically saying, "If your rich enough, and manufacture for us, we don't care if you torture your citizens and have political prisons, we can ignore all that in favour of a nice cozy relationship".

What is you think about the issue?

Comments

• Options
    I think you can't buy every product imaginable from a country for the 10 years preceding the Olympics, and then complain for the 3 weeks some athletes go to the same country to play some sports. And you don't make any progess on the issue of human rights by cutting a country off completely and refusing to deal with them. Unless you think that Burma or North Korea are good models of diplomacy in action?
  • Options
    I am not sure. Same question could be asked about the 1936 Olympics.

Maybe one should view this as an opportunity to highlight the flaws of the Chinese regime, but also see it as an event to emphasise the goodness which brings human beings from all parts of the world together.
    I think a good job was done of bringing attention to the doings of the Chinese regime, and it definitely brought awareness to people who would otherwise not know.I don't know what actual effect it has had/will have, but for starters it has made awareness and that is a start. Even the Dalai Lama didn't condone boycoting of the Olympics which is important to bare in mind.
  • Options
    Of course UK athletes should participate- sports is sports. Too often over the history of the Games, the occasion is manipulated by politics. How many athletes themselves have strong political views? If out of personal choice a member of the team has objections to the Chinese being host then fine, The UK get together a willing team (and no shortage of people who want to be included) who go there and enjoy the purely sporting occasion
  • Options
    snowlizard wrote: »
    Personally I don't the UK athletes should have gone to China, a country which routinely makes its citizens disappear and disallows them talking to foreign journalists. By going to the olympics we are putting money into the Chinese system which keeps the iron grip tight on the people of China, we are basically saying, "If your rich enough, and manufacture for us, we don't care if you torture your citizens and have political prisons, we can ignore all that in favour of a nice cozy relationship".

you say this as you type away on a computer that has roughly 90% of it's components made in China?
  • Options
    The athletes should go, but Brown and other officials shouldnt. The whole thing has become far too political and its largely about China showing off how great it is.

Most of the medals China will win will be tainted by the horrible conditions in their training camps - think the USSR but without steriods.
  • Options
    Of course they should. It's the Olympic games, not a Human Rights summit.

I think the way some people have used the games as a political manouevering tool is quite sad really and will probably detract from the spirit of competition. Not that I'm a big fan of the Games as a spectator event, I think the politics should be left out of it and we should just concentrate on the games.
  • Options
    I think the way some people have used the games as a political manouevering tool is quite sad really and will probably detract from the spirit of competition. Not that I'm a big fan of the Games as a spectator event, I think the politics should be left out of it and we should just concentrate on the games.

The whole event is one giant political stunt from the Chinese government, its supposed to broadcast to the whole world what a lovely place it is and how they arent really a repressive government at all.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The athletes should go, but Brown and other officials shouldnt. The whole thing has become far too political and its largely about China showing off how great it is.

Most of the medals China will win will be tainted by the horrible conditions in their training camps - think the USSR but without steriods.

I agree with that. On second thoughts, I can see it is reasonable for our athletes to go the Olympic games, but I don't think our government should be endorsing the Chinese government.
  • Options
    Since when have our government endorsed the chinese (government)? All ive seen on the news just lately is a lot of high profile politicians (not just from UK) making speaches regarding their disagreement with Chinas human rights tactics, then proceeding to fly over to beijing and smile for the press. Pretty hypocritical imo but then thats the nature of politics, say one thing and do another.
    I dont agree with anyone boycotting the olympics, I can see their motives but as others have mentioned, the olympics is about sporting achievement, not a place to launder political conflict issues.
  • Options
    snowlizard wrote: »

Can you name a single country that doesn't have something anyone could not complain about?

No country is perfect
  • Options
    A boycott would make no difference. It would simply mean the authorities in Beijing having a bloody good laugh at our expense - and I couldn't blame them one bit either.

There's a lot of bullshit being spoken about these Olympics. It's claimed that they will change China forever. These same dreary apologists would have said the same thing in 1936. They would have claimed that Hitler and the Nazis were actually "misunderstood" and that the Olympics would highlight the error of his ways. Bollocks. In reality, Hitler simply ordered his minions to tone down their persecution of Jews and other minorities for a couple of weeks until everyone pissed off back home. Then it was business as normal.

A similar pattern will ensue in China. They will pretend that they're a lovely, cuddly country for a couple of weeks. The authorities will smile nicely, saying that journalists have got total freedom and that everything is brilliant. In September, when the foreign media (anyone outraged, incidentally, that the BBC are sending 437 of their staff on this junket?) have all buggered off back home, human rights abuses will continue exactly as they did before.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
  • Options
    I just want to see the British Swimmers at work, i want to see the best we have against the best the world has in the pool, apart from afew track and field events and the Badminton, its all im interested in. If they had boycotted i would have been royally pissed off. All that Lottery money and government investment in sport, all the information about sport being good, stop getting fat, etc, etc, etc... and then the best sports people in the world dont bother going... how crappy would that be?

As far as the Olympics go, the athletes should forget the Politics and do what they do, compete! The Government officials, Prime Minister and so forth should do the boycotting as they ARE political.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    A boycott would make no difference. It would simply mean the authorities in Beijing having a bloody good laugh at our expense - and I couldn't blame them one bit either.

There's a lot of bullshit being spoken about these Olympics. It's claimed that they will change China forever. These same dreary apologists would have said the same thing in 1936. They would have claimed that Hitler and the Nazis were actually "misunderstood" and that the Olympics would highlight the error of his ways. Bollocks. In reality, Hitler simply ordered his minions to tone down their persecution of Jews and other minorities for a couple of weeks until everyone pissed off back home. Then it was business as normal.

A similar pattern will ensue in China. They will pretend that they're a lovely, cuddly country for a couple of weeks. The authorities will smile nicely, saying that journalists have got total freedom and that everything is brilliant. In September, when the foreign media (anyone outraged, incidentally, that the BBC are sending 437 of their staff on this junket?) have all buggered off back home, human rights abuses will continue exactly as they did before.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Thing is that people are aware of these wrong-doings now, and just the knowledge of it doesn't save the situation but I do believe it is a start. If they could just hold the olympics in Darfur now...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think they have even pretended to respect human rights during the Olympics. Other than Tiananmen (sp?) and a few others the Chinese government's sytle is not about beating people up on the street. Early morning knocks on the door and arrests for no reason will probably be carried out as normal, just out of the media's view.
  • Options
    I think the olympics should be apolitical.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Early morning knocks on the door and arrests for no reason will probably be carried out as normal...

Why would the Chinese government arrest people for no reason? That would foster domestic and foreign opposition for no gain. They arrest people for a reason, whether it be dissent, criminal activity, or suspicion of these, even if the arrests are unjustified.

On the subject of Chinese government authoritarianism I think people are often confused to the extreme. China is not a totalitarian Orwellian superstate - not yet at least. Granted, at present some areas within cities (most infamously Tianamen square), some cities themselves (Shenzen has the highest concentration of CCTV in the world) and even some general regions (the South Eastern seaboard) resemble to some extent totalitarian/surveillence/police societies. However - whilst its a cliche to state it in such a discussion - China is a vast, vast country with a massive population and high population density in many areas. There is also a massive transient/mobile population which (partly through economic necessity) are poorly monitored. The country is in a state of flux and its society and economy has (perhaps unprecedented) fluidity. With its present infrastructure, the Chinese Regime is simply unable to apply sophisticated political/social control. Generally, they have little recourse to advanced Orwellian techniques of political monitoring/oppression. Their methods are crude: broad-brush internet and press censorship, sporadic centralized crackdowns on troublesome areas (village/town revolts/protests, etc), and most consistently devolution of violent repression to local authorities which often deviate from the central line, are strongly influenced by private interests and are very corrupt. They also delegate "trouble-shooting" to largely uncontrolled local private agents, hired thugs, etc, who pretty much act as they please.

There is a massive project to try and build infrastructure with the potential for such control and surveillence, called the "Golden Shield". This encompasses the "Great Firewall" but also aims to develop:a nationwide database containing information on all adult Chinese citizens, smart cards for all citizens which can be scanned without the owner?s knowledge at a distance of a few metres, extensive closed-circuit television to monitor public spaces, technology which allows the Public Security Bureau to make instant comparisons of fingerprints, etc. The Chinese Regime is using various Western corporations to develop "Golden Shield." But it will take decades and, at present, the regime has unsophisticated apparatus and its primary existential motivation is simply to maintain economic growth, which (since Mao) has provided it general public support and left dissention and subversion relatively minimal.

In terms of Olympic boycotts, this is 99% bluster and bullshit; as has been pointed out by others such talk is rendered completely hollow by our economic interaction/reliance on Chinese labour. Most of it is transparent xenophobia and ignorance. Generally, the only group that seem to "mean" their opposition are Tibet activists/Dalai Lama supporters. They are in a minority and the Tibet issue is almost laughably minor considering the scale of other issues. I also suspect that the position is most often dictated by "right on" fashion and popinjay-posturing than any genuine concern for Tibetans.
  • Options
    I think most of what you have written about China is excellent, however, I have to disagree with this:
    carlito wrote: »
    In terms of Olympic boycotts, this is 99% bluster and bullshit; as has been pointed out by others such talk is rendered completely hollow by our economic interaction/reliance on Chinese labour. Most of it is transparent xenophobia and ignorance. Generally, the only group that seem to "mean" their opposition are Tibet activists/Dalai Lama supporters. They are in a minority and the Tibet issue is almost laughably minor considering the scale of other issues. I also suspect that the position is most often dictated by "right on" fashion and popinjay-posturing than any genuine concern for Tibetans.
    I don't see why Tibet is a 'minor' problem at all (how so?). I also find this paragraph condescending and ignorant towards people with a knowledge of China's human rights record in other areas, not only Tibet.

I can see completely why anti-genocide activists (who you seem to have missed out, or is Sudan laughably minor too?), environmental activists, human rights activists, Tibet activists and other people sympathetic to the aforementioned causes could see the Beijing Olympics as an opportunity to show their disagreement with a lot of things the government do.

From a campaigns perspective, the world's attention will be on China and raising awareness of these issues now is the best way to gain attention for the causes mentioned above. There is no better time for people to bash China's human rights record (economic reliance or not... it is better to say something than not to say something, if only to embarass the government) because next year, the opportunity will be over.

I also don't think there is an element of xenophobia. There's a difference between disliking a group of people from a certain region and disliking the government.

Also, please provide evidence of "right on" attitudes for Tibet.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    you say this as you type away on a computer that has roughly 90% of it's components made in China?
    So what you're saying is that if somebody has a concern for the human rights of a country, then they shouldn't be allowed to buy any products from aforementioned country?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't see why Tibet is a 'minor' problem at all (how so?).

Relatively minor. I.e. there are about 1.5 million people living in Tibet, there are 1.2 billion people living in China - those living in Tibet make up about 0.01% of those ruled by the Chinese central government. A drop in the ocean. I concede, that doesn't mean that people shouldn't stand up for them, but the time and effort devoted to their cause in the West seems grossly disproportionate to me. All "citizens" of China have to put up with the current regime, and in fact Tibetans have some advantages compared to Chinese citizens living elsewhere. Higher levels of government investment, and exemption from the one child policy, for example...
    Also, please provide evidence of "right on" attitudes for Tibet

...whilst there is obviously cultural repression occuring at the same time. But you don't see caring liberal Western students banging on about "the Chinese occupation" of Xianjiang province do you? Perhaps thats because they're women-hating, gay-bashing Muslims rather than nice cuddly Buddhists...:chin:

That said, I don't want to come across as too cynical and skeptical of these people's intentions. I'm sure a lot, if not most of them mean what they say and its probably a nice way of getting people involved in politics and activism. Probably acts as a locus for general criticism about the regime as well. From my experience though, a lot of them don't know the first thing about the situation and are approaching it with spurious motives largely dictated by fashion and posturing.
  • Options
    So what you're saying is that if somebody has a concern for the human rights of a country, then they shouldn't be allowed to buy any products from aforementioned country?

No, but it somewhat defeats the point when you mouth off at somebody whilst handing them a fistful of cash don't you think? Especially when the favourable deal we are accorded results directly from very nature of the Chinese regime.
  • Options
    Relatively minor. I.e. there are about 1.5 million people living in Tibet, there are 1.2 billion people living in China - those living in Tibet make up about 0.01% of those ruled by the Chinese central government. A drop in the ocean. I concede, that doesn't mean that people shouldn't stand up for them, but the time and effort devoted to their cause in the West seems grossly disproportionate to me.
    I can see your point. However, there are several issues in China covering different groups of people, different ethnic groups, different human rights issue... It is better to support one issue, than none at all. I think that Tibet has had far more publicity, hence greater support, as well as the Dalai Lama's popularity, to raise awareness. I also think that it is different, though not inseperable to other issues involved...
    All "citizens" of China have to put up with the current regime, and in fact Tibetans have some advantages compared to Chinese citizens living elsewhere. Higher levels of government investment, and exemption from the one child policy, for example...
    Where did you get this information?

Just because some investment has gone in to the region of Tibet, does not mean that the lives of Tibetans has improved.
  • Options
    No, but it somewhat defeats the point when you mouth off at somebody whilst handing them a fistful of cash don't you think? Especially when the favourable deal we are accorded results directly from very nature of the Chinese regime.
    It depends on the way you look at it.

I think that's a pretty piss poor and hollow argument though. Either debate the politics, or don't... When you are buying a product, you're paying a wage not just to the business owner, but also to the person working below them.

It's hard to avoid buying anything from China... I am not saying consume, or don't consume (not consuming is more ecologically sound... Things aren't black and white tho)... But it is pretty damn stupid to use the "aaahhhh but I bet you use Chinese goods somewhere in your non-perfect existence and this takes away all validity of your argument" because it holds no ground really. It just sounds like the opposition has no intelligent argument to contribute.

Human rights in China is a huge topic, much more than if we happen to have a computer with components which may or may not have parts made in China. So much is made in China, it's unreal. Perhaps we should get our goods from another country which abuses human rights? because most countries do....

No wait... maybe we should just stop eating anything we haven't grown, just so we are allowed an opinion.
  • Options
    It depends on the way you look at it.

I think that's a pretty piss poor and hollow argument though. Either debate the politics, or don't... When you are buying a product, you're paying a wage not just to the business owner, but also to the person working below them.

It's hard to avoid buying anything from China... I am not saying consume, or don't consume (not consuming is more ecologically sound... Things aren't black and white tho)... But it is pretty damn stupid to use the "aaahhhh but I bet you use Chinese goods somewhere in your non-perfect existence and this takes away all validity of your argument" because it holds no ground really. It just sounds like the opposition has no intelligent argument to contribute.

Human rights in China is a huge topic, much more than if we happen to have a computer with components which may or may not have parts made in China. So much is made in China, it's unreal. Perhaps we should get our goods from another country which abuses human rights? because most countries do....

No wait... maybe we should just stop eating anything we haven't grown, just so we are allowed an opinion.

Nobody said anything of the sort. You can criticise the human rights record of a country from which you buy products. That's quite different from saying that we should boycott one product of the Chinese regime (The Olympics), whilst spending every other pound on a product from the same country. But of course it's a lot easier to say that athletes should boycott China rather than doing it yourself, isn't it?
  • Options
    Just because some investment has gone in to the region of Tibet, does not mean that the lives of Tibetans has improved.

But it has. They're still way behind the rest of China with the lowest life expectancy and education levels, but the quality of life in Tibet has improved just like it has in the rest of China. There are issues in making the economic benefits of China as a whole filter down to more remote areas like Tibet, Sinkiang and Inner Mongolia, but there's absolutely no reason to think that the lives of Tibetans would change any quicker by them not being the beneficiaries of being part of the world's fastest growing economy. You're not going to get progress any quicker than that. And the rest of the human rights issues in Tibet are things that are more an issue in China as a whole, rather than being specific to Tibet. And as for free Tibet, the fact is that the people of Tibet are freer now than they have ever been in history. It's not enough, and progress still needs to be made, but the idea that the feudalism that preceded Chinese rule was preferable because it's other Tibetans that were ruling with an iron fist instead is ridiculous logic.