Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Deliveries at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it ok to get a personal delivery to your workplace. Im never at home when the postman comes around and it wont fit through the letter box.

Im pretty new to the job so dont wanna be seen to be taking the piss.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just ask your post room if it is ok. Everyone at my work does.
    I do it at my place, just ask ur line manager
    Depends how big your company is i'd say. If its like a massive business that has its own post sorting department then its probably not a good idea, but if its just a small/medium sized company where you could actually sign for it yourself i reckon it'd be fine. any boss with common sense could see the reasoning behind it and it would hardly take out a big portion of your day
    Yeah its a big company. They have a postroom guy who comes around, he usually brings me letters and crap (work related).

Might be worth having them deliver to work.
    Just have a word then before it comes so the post guy can know to look out for it
    When i bought and sold a lot of wii's over xmas, i had them delivered to work, i even had the parcel force van that picked works mail up every other day, pick them up when i was shipping them out.

I get stuff delivered to work all the time, they just give me a ring on the internal phones when they spot something with my name on.

Especially if its something that needs to be signed for, as my mum has problems with her nerves and doesnt like answering the door if shes in on her own.
    Ask you line manager first but most places dont have a problem with it.

I was forever getting stuff delivered to one of my old jobs (laptop, gig tickets, etc) but it was a small place and I did most of the internal post anyway.
    We had a memo around recently at our place to stop taking the piss with deliveries to work. But this is mostly because some people were being idiots and having stuff like massive dog kennels (fully constructed) delivered and cluttering up the reception.

I think for most reasonable stuff it's likely to be ok.
    I don't see why you can't get a personal delivery to your workplace. After all, what about having your lunch delivered like some sandwiches? What about your boss, even? I hope by October to be running a sandwich takeaway so I might be coming to a town like yours. :)

Poppi
    Mist wrote: »
    some people were being idiots and having stuff like massive dog kennels (fully constructed) delivered and cluttering up the reception.

Wow. Who in there right mind would have a Dog kennel delivered to a workplace.. Full constructed!:lol:
    Certainly it's okay here - pretty much everyone does it since so many people would never be in to collect mail from home.
    Rich gets personal stuff delivered to his office all the time (he works for Lloyds TSB in a huge building, so not a small company/office), and I sometimes send personal stuff there too because I know if I got it sent to my house all I would get would be "what have you been buying now blahblah why aren't you saving blahblah", so it's a lot lot easier.
    I used to a lot at my old job as I knew and trusted the people there, and we were right in main reception so they could send the couriers etc. in. I had all sorts of stuff sent through - clothes, shoes, laptop, electrical stuff, everything. Here I wouldn't trust people not to steal things or nosy through them :|
    It's absolutely fine where I work, but I can work from home whenever I want as well so often just make sure I'm at home on days I'm expecting deliveries.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    My old place never used to allow, my current employer doesnt mind but havent tried it yet.