Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For those that are married

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you call your in-laws?

Do you call them Mum / Dad - call them by their first name, Surname, etc?

Not married so can't answer

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not married but my sisters are and they call the in-laws their names definatly not mum and dad!
    DG wrote: »

Do you call them Mum / Dad - call them by their first name, Surname, etc?

Not married so can't answer

My best mates (married) call each other's parents by their names.
    when i was married i called my inlaws by their names, but i always called grandparents in law nana and i call my boyfriends grandparents mamée and papy yet his parents by their first names.

My mum always called her various mother in laws "mum" even after divorce
    My brothers both call their in laws by their names and my mum would get upset if any of us ever called anyone else mum cos she's the only mum we have and should want.
    DG wrote: »

Do you call them Mum / Dad
    :eek2: Who the fuck would call their husband/wife's parents "mum" and "dad"?!
    My mum calls my dads mum "mum", maybe because she didnt have a great relationship with her own.
    tinkler wrote: »
    :eek2: Who the fuck would call their husband/wife's parents "mum" and "dad"?!

My dad does. I've never known him to call my mum's parents (apart from her biological dad & stepmum) by their real name.
    OK. I suppose it can make sense if you spend a lot of time with them after maybe 10+ years especially if you don't have such a good relationship with your own parents. Sorry I was assuming having not known your in-laws for too long ie recently married, seems odd to refer to them like that.
    I think its weird to call in-laws mum and dad. Americans do it a lot.
    My mum has always called my dad's parents mum and dad, and she was very close to her own mum (dad died when she was young).

Me and OH both just call in-laws by their first names, although he does call my grandma 'Grandma'. That said, everyone calls my grandma 'Grandma', so nowt out of the ordinary.
    I think the Mum and Dad thing is generational - my Mum also called my Dad's parents Mum and Dad, but then, my grandparents also called each other that in front of Dad, my aunts and uncles, so I get the feeling they'd have been offended if the partners called them anything else.

I call my boyfriend's mum by her first name, as does his sister in law and other brother's fiancee. My boyfriend calls my mum by her first name in theory, but in practice avoids calling her anything at all!
    definitely more common in the generation up from us
    I vary, if I am talking to them directly then I will tend to use Mum and Dad but if referring to them when talking to someone else then it tends to be their real names.

My Grandma lived with us growing up so I was very used to my Mum referring to her as Mum.

I guess I also do it as my Sister-In-Law refers to them as Mum and Dad as well.

If it didn't feel right I wouldn't though.
    I call them by thier first names - it would be very weird to call them mum and dad - especially as thier children don't call them that - usually mummy and daddy or ma and pa - Though two work with their dad and call him by his first name at work - which makes sense.

Oddly my dad and his sister both call thier step mother - mum - which wouldnt' be weird except they were both grown up with thier own children when my grandad got remarried. I remember once getting into loads of trouble as a child by calling her her christian name which really confused me as though i love her to bits she isnt' my real grandma - and my cousin who is older than me and who did know my real grandma does call her by her first name.

Incidently my Husband called my Nan Nanny like i do but my other grandparents by their first name....
    My parents both call my fathers parents mom and dad (not American, I think mom is said in Birmingham as well, perhaps when they grew up or something). My aunt, who is my fathers sister, and her husband both call my fathers parents mom and dad, and does my uncle (my fathers brother) and his wife. I call my grandmother 'Nan' as do my uncles children, however their girlfriends call my grandmother by her first name. I think my mother much prefers my dad's family to her own, and we used to live with my dad's family. I think thats the case with the other relatives who have married into the familly, they prefer my dad's family to their own. I don't find it confusing at all, but that said I don't know my mother's family very much, and I don't really want to all that much, not really my kind of people.
    I call mine by their first names, but I did have to think about it, as I don't really tend to use their names much at all. If me and the OH are writing a card to them from both of us, we write mum and dad though. I guess it might change when we have kids, they might just become granny and grandad by default :p
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My in laws are called by their first names. His gran is called gran, mind. But then mine is also called that - I have never met anyone that calls my gran by anything else!

It would be weird to call them mum and dad when they clearly are not.
    I call my father in law by his name (or occasionally by a choice naughty word), as do all his sons. He's no dad, in the real sense of the word. As was said by someone else before, because we have kids, my husband calls my parents granny and grandad, ha.
    snowlizard wrote: »
    My parents both call my fathers parents mom and dad (not American, I think mom is said in Birmingham as well, perhaps when they grew up or something).
    My mate is from Birmingham and she says mom.
    kangoo wrote: »
    I think its weird to call in-laws mum and dad. Americans do it a lot.

Not that I know of. Never really heard anybody call their inlaws mom or dad. My parents call eachothers mothers by their first name. Same with the mans parents and any time I've ever encountered it with friends and other relatives.

Not inlaws, but I don't call my boyfriends parents anything... I'm not really a name user, just talk and hope the person I'm talking to listens. Don't think I've ever said their name!