Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting out of a rented property...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(also posted this on another forum, but thought i'd see what anyone here had to say also)

bit of a long one this so please bear with me.

Our 2nd 6 month tenancy has just ended at the beginning of this month, and due to the landlord putting the flat up for sale (6 weeks ago) we told the agents we didnt want to extend and that we would be looking to move elsewhere. They were fine with this.

We have just found somewhere else to move to and have put in a application on this property and waiting to hear back. all good.

anyway, this is where it gets a bit complicated...we had a rat problem in our flat, and i dont mean on bin day in the alleys etc..we had rats which had gnawed through a opening behind a kitchen cupboard and they were getting through.

We told the letting agents about this who spoke to the management company who look after the flats (landlord pays £75p/m service charge) and they came back to us and said get someone to come round and bill it to the management company, which we did, and the guy came maybe 4 times or so and laid bait etc..anyway, the problem ceased, and he stopped coming. Now the problem has come back worse, can hear them in the walls and ceiling etc..not pleasant obviously, but the rat catcher wont come back because he still hasnt been paid for last time...

we really dont want to stay here longer than necessary, its not good, and obviously not hygenic..

so what im asking is, would we have to give 1 months notice to leave still? could the rat problem be a reason to be allowed to leave without penalty? what rights do we have to get this problem sorted if we have to stay?

thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a shorthold tenancy once. It's a legal agreement between landlord and tenant, signed at a lettings agent. Part of this is your requirement to give notice if you leave before the end date and your landlord maintaining the property is part of the agreement. Normally if you move out before the 6 months' out, there is rent to pay too till someone else signs for the flat or the normal end date is reached. However if the landlord is not doing repairs or in this case is failing to sort out the rat infestation, you could warn the landlord this neglect is leading to a breach of contract. As a home overrun by rats is not habitable quality. The tenancy agreement places responsibilities both ways.
    I would check with the CAB, but as I understand it you can actually sue your landlord if there is a persistant infestation (even if you dont actually tell them there is an issue - they are supposed to check).

I would contact the letting agent, tell them about the issue and demand action.
    Sorted now! turns out the landlord would prefer let us leave than pay to get the rats sorted! bonus. moving on 22nd August.
    Sorted now! turns out the landlord would prefer let us leave than pay to get the rats sorted! bonus. moving on 22nd August.

:lol:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit

Clearly a tosser then! Be glad to be out!