Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

hwo often does baggage go missing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
i go away for 2 weeks next week.

for obvious reasons, im not gonna be able to take everythin on as hand baggage.

this is the first time ive gone abroad.

how often does luggage go missing? im worrying alot about it.
i have travel insuranceb ut im worried ill get there and my stuff won't be there and it will ruin my holiday
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not a regular occurence really.

As a precaution, keep a change of clothes in your hand luggage, so at least you have a fresh set of clothes. You can then prob buy stuff whilst you're there and claim it on the insurance.
    Ah, don't worry about it at all. Never heard it happening to anyone I know ever. Not to jinx you or me but what are the chances of it happening to you out of all the bags they are being flown from destination to destination in one day?

Just relax mate!
    The chances depend on a lot of factors, the most important being the airline and the hubs you are using.

For example Northwest flights out of Detroit are notorious for leaving bags behind as I know to my cost - I got it back 3 days later all intact.

Are you changing flights part of the way through your journey?
    Yes i was about to also say the only time they are likely to get lost if if your changing flights - this is the only time its happened to me - oddly the longer the wait you have at the airport the more likely hood there seems to be for bags to go missing.

The only time i've ever known bags to go missing on an A-B flight is on Garuda and unless your going to Indonesia there isn't much chance your flying with them.

I've never known anyone to not get thier bag back after a few days either - your very wise though to make sure that you have enough clothes for 3 days or so in your hand luggage - this doesn't need to be much - just a couple of change of underwear - a bikini / swiming costume - a sarong - which can serve multipul (skirt long or short, wrap if its cold, something to lie on on the beach etc etc). Plus a couple of vest tops and skirt or shorts and a pair of pumps.

Oh and I always carry a tooth brush and a few toiletries.

What ever you do though don't forget a spare pair of knickers - i know this from bitter experience - as out side of the UK most shops aren't open on a sunday and its impossible to buy spares....
    They lost mine at the end of my holiday, so it was a bit of a git, but I did have other clothes to wear. Oh and one thing to point out that I learnt while waiting for my bag (they werent sure at first whether they had any idea where it was) travel insurance can be stupidly tight about lost bag claims, they told me that without a receipt they wouldnt give me any money for any items lost.
    don't scare her!
    Wyetry wrote: »
    don't scare her!

It was just something which I learnt which I thought others might be interested in, it might also be different with different insurance.

She's more likely to be a victim of crime in the country she's going to than loose her bags.
    Also check after how long the insurance starts giving payment if your luggage is lost. For some its only after 24 hours, which is a long time when you are away and have just arrived at a new place.
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Also check after how long the insurance starts giving payment if your luggage is lost. For some its only after 24 hours, which is a long time when you are away and have just arrived at a new place.

Mine was obviously a cheapo version because they wouldnt even accept a claim until the airline had given up hope which was two weeks - but that may have been because I'd got home and wasnt stranded on a beach.
    Its normally the airline not the travel insurace which gives you compensation AFAIK - however that to is only after the first 24 hours and only on your way out to your destination on the way back its assumed that you have loads of clothes at home you can wear.

It's pitifully small though last time i got offered it it was something like £6 for every 24 hours and the last time i got my bags delayed i was offered nothing - even though i had to go and buy load of toiletries - as it was annoyingly in the two weeks you were banned from taking any on the plane - I was in colombia and didn't feel like arguing as my spanish is crap.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Its normally the airline not the travel insurace which gives you compensation AFAIK - however that to is only after the first 24 hours and only on your way out to your destination on the way back its assumed that you have loads of clothes at home you can wear.

I got bugger all from my airline for the 3 days it took them to get me my bag, but they did bring it to my house.
    Thats becuase you were back in the UK though. They are i think supposed to offr you some kind of compensation if its the other way round - though I would need to varify that with IATA.
    Ours did not make it back with us from Rome, but that's because we changed in Frankfurt, and we could run across the airport quicker than the bags ;)
    BA are shit at losing bags. Depends who you fly with, some airlines are better than others.