Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Beijing Olympics 2008

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The opening ceremony is tomorrow Friday.........who's watching it?

Which sports will you be following on TV coverage?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't really ever plan to watch anything in particular, but I kinda like having a lot of sport on the TV to give me something to watch when I'm bored other than the music channel, Dave or the news. Although I do always try to catch the men's 100 metre final.
    I've never seen an opening ceremony... weird.

I like watching the female gymnasts. Won't make a point out of it, but if it is on when I'm surfing I'll stop.
    I'm (kinda) watching the opening.

Well, just finished the intro of all the countries now, and now they are marching with the Olympic flag. But the ceremonic opening with all the fancy stuff was okay. Like had some amazing things, but just dragged for too long IMO.

I look forward to the olympics! I like watching the diving and gymnastics (and do they do ice skating in this one? Or is that winter olympics/commonwealth?) the most.
    Ooooh they just lit the torch. That was fucking awesome. Ooooh and fireworks!!!!!!!

Maybe I can sleep now. 4.30am zzzzzzzzzz
    some of the opening ceremony was quality.
    The drummers with the lights and the fireworks esp.
    You just know that ours is gonna be like a school nativity play in comparison.
    Just watched our archery team beat the japanese and progress to the semis.

:D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Well done Nicole Cooke. She has won our first gold and our 200th gold overall :)

It was the crazy conditions road race.
    The archery team lost to France. FRANCE ffs! At archery. The shame. :no: Still, did anyone hear the stadium announcer? "This is the best British performance in archery since the Battle of Agincourt." :lol:
    Did anyone see the British woman win the womens cycling? It was raining so hard during the race, the Chinese woman spun off and down a ditch :p
    Anyone think it's more than a coincidence that the second it starts pissing it down, Britain wins a medal?
    Fuck me, is anyone watching this swimming? Are they all on drugs or something? 4 seconds of the relay world record, and all 8 teams beat the winning time from Athens 4 years ago. Anyway, brilliant comeback by the Americans on the final leg. And Britain won another gold and a bronze with another brilliant comeback.
    I wasn't planning to watch any of the Olympics but found myself absorbed in it twice this weekend. It was the gymnastics that hooked me...my friends and I were sitting in a cafe with hangovers eating fry-ups and watching it on the big screen for about 2 and a half hours yesterday :lol:
    Fuck me, is anyone watching this swimming? Are they all on drugs or something? 4 seconds of the relay world record, and all 8 teams beat the winning time from Athens 4 years ago. Anyway, brilliant comeback by the Americans on the final leg. And Britain won another gold and a bronze with another brilliant comeback.

Think it might be something to do with those new swimming costumes that make you swim faster.

I love how Britain gets all hysterical about the possibility of winning a bronze in badminton or archery or some sport like that that literally fuck all people like and would never be on T.V. if it wasn't the Olympics.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I love how Britain gets all hysterical about the possibility of winning a bronze in badminton or archery or some sport like that that literally fuck all people like and would never be on T.V. if it wasn't the Olympics.

That's what the Olympics is about. No-one gives a shit about the football or tennis, because it's not the biggest tournament in those sports. The Olympics gives us a chance to cheer on some athletes that aren't a bunch of overpaid, spoilt little brats.
    Exactly - that's why I love watching it. I have little to no interest watching football on TV but the Olympics has so many different sports that it's great. It's good to have some variety in the sports shown on TV. I'm looking forward to watching the kayak/canoe sprints :D
    True story - I have raced against Anna Hemmings and the 2004 Olympic Racing Squad at Nottingham :yes: Only because Women's sprinting classes are so small that neither of our races were quorate and they got combined but that is SO not the point ;)
    So sick of all the swimming! Gawd! And there is shit all gymnastics, or am I just missing it all?
    So sick of all the swimming! Gawd! And there is shit all gymnastics, or am I just missing it all?

Give them a chance. They need a day off. Men's team final is today, I think. Women's team final is tommorow. Either that or tomorrow and the day after, I forget. Then the individual events start.

Canoeing silver medal. :thumb:
    anyone watching equestrian event in Hong Kong?
    I love showjumping!
    Sailing?:crazyeyes
    That is a sport I don't understand.

I enjoy it all, and even though I love football, I couldn't even care about the Olympic football. And its nothing to do with there being a lack of GBR team.

:naughty: glad the women's beach volleyball is in the Wan King district though!! :D

Overall - loving the games :thumb:
    Rebecca Adlington used to go to the same swimming baths as me for lessons back in the day. She's only a few months older and my dad thinks she used to be in my class. I don't remember though. Puts me to shame lol.
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    anyone watching equestrian event in Hong Kong?
    I love showjumping!

I don't mind showjumping, but dressage? What the fuck is that? I see it every Olympics, and I'm still none the wiser.
    Swimming is a favourite of mine, though it does go on a bit and gotta love the boxing, you just get so much at the Olympics and I actually quite like the scoring system rather than the 'leather the fuck out of the other guy' tone of professional fights.

Anything involving specific positions, styles or moves always throws me though. I enjoy gymnastics and diving but when it becomes about "ah he's moved his left ankle towards his right knee making that a triple Romanov sequence forward belly split - 2.3 on the difficulty then" I just get lost. Dressage definately the worst of those events - do the riders score extra for looking like horses?

Love the archery, gymnastic finals, shooting, weight lifting, field events, anything where you've got a whole field trying to top each other over a whole day - just the kind of events you can relax into and lose hours watching
    I'm off of work (well, training course) sick today, and have been lost in all of the horse racing ...... think it's good there's a sport where men compete against the women.
    Gymnastics is fun, I'm watching the men's team final now. Those upper arms! My gosh I need to watch it with a towel in hand I'm drooling so much.

I also enjoy swimming, partly because I used to practice. I was watching earlier in the day and it reminds me of my days of competing. I do miss the atmosphere as you're preparing for your heat.
    I've heard the reason so many records are being set are partly because of the superiority of the new Speedo outfits (sponsors allowing swimmers to compete in rival brand!) and I heard some theories that because the pool is a bit deeper it's making the pool faster.

Dressage is one thing I enjoy as a horse person because the work it takes is ridiculous, but on the other hand I have NO idea how the scoring works. Show Jumping is so much more entertaining to watch though, that's for sure :D

The Olympics are always on at work, which is quite nice I enjoy chilling on my breaks in front of random sports. It's always more entertaining in the company of others.
    So far they have faked some firework animations, and a young girl miming in the opening ceremony, mint!
    MrG wrote: »
    So far they have faked some firework animations, and a young girl miming in the opening ceremony, mint!

The footage screened was CGI'd in but the actual fireworks did happen. Didn't want visibility to possibly ruin things and also were worried about the practicalities of having the helicopter filming it as they were going off!
    ..... fake crowds, new rules for journalists after only winning the games after promises of freedom of media ..... I dunno .... but it's a good games, regardless!!

Olympic records get broken only on a 4 year basis .. world records can happen anytime.

This games has produced so many new world records :)
    Let it continue (until saturday comes..... at least)
    MrG wrote: »

Ah come on, give him a break, he didn't really make Jet Li fly in Hero either... :p

Although as China had Yimou Zhang directing its opening ceremony it doesn't bode well for the UK.

I'm thinking 28 minutes of Guy Ritchie staged bare-fist boxing, 40 minutes of violent East End swearing between Ben Kingsley and Gary Oldman followed by Mike Leigh shouting at a naked Timothy Spall as he sets fire to an Olympic bonfire made of park benches and fag packets...
    The footage screened was CGI'd in but the actual fireworks did happen. Didn't want visibility to possibly ruin things and also were worried about the practicalities of having the helicopter filming it as they were going off!

Just like the BBC phone ins screened as well?

They faked the footage, they misled people to believe it was real, and if they hadnt been found out, would they have said anything? No!