Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Breaks At Work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sister usually works for 10 hours without a break, which I believe is illegal? Anyway, the boss doesn't appear to be that bothered. So where does she stand on this? There's usually one person (apart from the chef) working there, surely this can't be right?

Comments

• Options
    I think you are entitled to a break every 4 hours, not sure if it's 20 minutes or 30 minutes though.

In my last job I was the only person in the store for 6.5 hours so couldn't go for lunch breaks or really toilet breaks and I couldn't do much about it :(
  • Options
    20 minutes for every 4 hours. So that doesn't mean that you get a break every 4 hours, but it does mean that if your sister isn't getting at least half an hour of break, they're breaking the law.
  • Options
    I thought the law was work for longer than 6 hours without at least a 30 minute break..not 100% on that though
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    20 minutes for every 4 hours. So that doesn't mean that you get a break every 4 hours, but it does mean that if your sister isn't getting at least half an hour of break, they're breaking the law.

Thats for under 18s. Over 18s get minimum of half an hour for 6 hours.

I've worked in lots of places and been expected to go witho9ut a break, usually bars. I normally go anyway but they can make life hard for you. I lost a job because of asking for breaks during 8 hour shifts but there was nothing I could do about it because I wasn't officially sacked. She just put me on shifts she knew I couldn't do until I had to leave
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    20 minutes for every 4 hours.

I remember being told something like this a few years ago.

Thanks.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I lost a job because of asking for breaks during 8 hour shifts but there was nothing I could do about it because I wasn't officially sacked. She just put me on shifts she knew I couldn't do until I had to leave

:eek2: That absolutely sucks! What an evil way to treat employees.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    kangoo wrote: »
    I lost a job because of asking for breaks during 8 hour shifts but there was nothing I could do about it because I wasn't officially sacked. She just put me on shifts she knew I couldn't do until I had to leave

That's known as constructive dismissal and is illegal:
    http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/workersrights/unfairdismissal

To answer Melian's first point, it's worth getting your sister to call ACAS who can advice on what the best course of action is: 08457 474747

Olly
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    My sister usually works for 10 hours without a break, which I believe is illegal? Anyway, the boss doesn't appear to be that bothered. So where does she stand on this? There's usually one person (apart from the chef) working there, surely this can't be right?

What job is this?
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    What job is this?

She works in a cafe.

Olly - thanks for the acas link.