Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Help - job application

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this should go in Work but the application's due in tomorrow so I wanted to try and get some quick answers...
I'm filling out an online application form and the last question is asking me to relate my experience, skills and abilities to the specific requirements of the role. Now in the job description, there are three sections - main responsibilities (outlining what the role entails), person specification (outlining what the ideal candidate would need in terms of experience blah blah) and competencies, which is the section with more generic stuff you'll need like communication, resilience, valuing diversity.
My question is, do I need to write stuff for all three sections or just focus on the person specification? I rang their recruitment helpline and the bloke told me it was "down to my discretion" :nervous:
In the past I think I've only focused on the person specification but I'm worried as the other sections are quite detailed and I don't know if I'll get marked down for overlooking them, perhaps I should just cover all my bases??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not a definate answer but when looking over applications for any roles I've recruited for I'd always expect an applicant to show how they would be able to fulfilll the specifics first, which would be the main responsibilities section.

Then move onto the sections.

But that's just me.
    As someone who has had to review zillions of CV's the way to make it easyest for the person assessing them is to go through each section showing how you fulfill the role - so I would answer all of them - however the person specification should really relate to the main tasks in hand - so maybe they have written a bad person specification.....
    Wyetry wrote: »
    As someone who has had to review zillions of CV's the way to make it easyest for the person assessing them is to go through each section showing how you fulfill the role - so I would answer all of them - however the person specification should really relate to the main tasks in hand - so maybe they have written a bad person specification.....

This.
    The way a lot of them are marked is that you won't even get an interview unless you answer ALL the specification points. So if it says you need to be punctual and reliable, then you write 'I am punctual and reliable'. Answer all the points
    kangoo wrote: »
    The way a lot of them are marked is that you won't even get an interview unless you answer ALL the specification points. So if it says you need to be punctual and reliable, then you write 'I am punctual and reliable'. Answer all the points

Yep. We shortlisted last week and so many people lost out on silly things like not stating they had a driving licence even though it states it in the requirements.
    Cheers guys. I do know to answer all the points, and to be blatant about it - it's just the online thingy only has room for 4000 characters so I don't know if I'll be able to cover all the sections in that. The main responsibilities bit is more the day-to-day tasks you'd have to carry out, so is more like a job description - the person spec is actually titled "Essential Qualities" so I'm guessing that's the most important part. If I've got space I'll cover the competencies as well. Meh, I probably won't get it anyway, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help.
    Good luck!
    Cheers :) after all that, I exceeded 4000 characters with just the essential qualities part and I'd only written a bit for each point, so I think that must have been the part they wanted - there's no way I could have fitted in stuff for each section. Oh well, it's done now - fingers crossed! Thanks again for all your help guys.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Good luck! :)

Hope you don't mind me moving this now.
    I didn't get it :( Didn't even get an interview. I didn't really think I would get it but thought I might at least make it to the next stage...don't know why but this has really depressed me. Am I ever going to get out of this job and into one I actually care about? :( Just feel so trapped.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I didn't get it :( Didn't even get an interview. I didn't really think I would get it but thought I might at least make it to the next stage...don't know why but this has really depressed me. Am I ever going to get out of this job and into one I actually care about? :( Just feel so trapped.

*Hugs* Did they send you a letter?
    Thanks Helen. No, it was just an automated email saying that they don't provide feedback at that stage of the process. So I don't even know where I went wrong. I know I should just think "oh well, it obviously just wasn't right for me" but it's hard when you think you could actually have done a good job. I must just not have presented myself very well :(