Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dumpster diving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Kalymnians throw away anything. They have no wish to restore even furniture. On the road to Vathis one week we stopped by a dumpster to see someone had thrown away a Regency chair. It was very similar to one mum had. My family weren?t keen to take it but I insisted. We secured it in our truck and drove away.

A bit further on we say a thick pine bedside table. Apart from some paint splattering on the top there wasn't anything wrong with it. I lugged it into the truck and off we went again. But on our return home I stopped on seeing something silver. The sun was on it, so I went closer. It was an old Dualit toaster in stainless steel!

I got Dualit to repair the toaster?s elements, they hardly charged more than a tenner. . The Regency chair I had a nice old guy in Chora restore but the bedside cabinet came up like new after I sanded it.

Everyone throws away stuff because they want new. And this is so like where I lived. I am amazed people can just throw away good stuff. Maybe I should start up a second hand store.

Poppi

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I always try and get my stuff fixed but in the UK its reallly expensive an often works out cheaper to buy something new. My £80 motorbike boots have had a zip broke which I need to get fixed, if anyone can signpost me...
    Only thing I can think of but do you have a shoe maker? I think in England they are called cobblers. :lol
    Theres a very good digital skip called ...freerecycle.com

chuck stuff in it or take stuff out.
    aye freecycle is good - also that's just reminded me that someone put out a cabinet down the road which i wanted to nab for my house - i wonder if its still there.

In our street people just put out stuff they don't want and if anyone wants it they can take it. So for example we got our dining room chairs from our next door neighbour who had put out thier chairs as they had got some new (to them) chairs from another neighbour.

Also you can go down the tip to get stuff as well - thats where my kitchen chairs came from.

Plus i've lots of recoditiond furniture as well - i hardly ever buy new furniture these days...