Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Effexor XR / tiredness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know drowsiness is one of the side effects of this medicine, but I still have to ask :p

I went from 75mg to 112.5mg about a week ago. For the last few days I am absoutly exausted. I'm a tired person but this is just ott. On Sunday, I got up at noonish, took a 4-5 hour nap, and went to bed early. The next day I got home from work, took a nap till 9pm, woke up, went to bed an hour later... and so forth and so forth. I try so hard to stay awake! Caffiene, vitamin B, whatever else.

I know it is a side effect, "drinking alcohol may increase this effect"... I had a drink and was out before I finished it!

But I'm just curious other's experiences with it. I don't remember being this tired when I first started this medicine, and I find it hard to believe that going up such a small amount would cause me to be this tired! How long should I be expecting this to last :\

Comments

• Options
    The increase in seratonin and thus biosynthesis of melatonin will have messed with your Circadian rhythm. It should eventually correct itself but try and make sure you take your dose at the same time each day.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it lasts for around 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    Hmm.. that AD gave me terrible insomnia when I took it so I was tired a lot due to lack of sleep. It was like that the whole time I took it. Hope it settles down for you soon :)
  • Options
    im on 225mg and havent had that problem at any point on the way up to this dose. If anything, i had trouble sleeping through the night. i was waking up really early for about a week, but i can remember at which dose that happened. might have been 150mg. im sure itll pass.
  • Options
    Do you think it would help to take them at night instead of the morning? How would I change that though... Say I took them this morning, then just take them tonight also, and then again tomorrow night?
  • Options
    Do you think it would help to take them at night instead of the morning? How would I change that though... Say I took them this morning, then just take them tonight also, and then again tomorrow night?
    Personally I wouldn't bother with any of this faffing and would just swap from 8am on day 1 to 9pm on day 2 unless I felt I couldn't cope with the extra half day without. If it's the XL preparation though you should be okay going a few extra hours.

If you really can't manage then you could just take them later than usual on the first day and then earlier than normal second day and then usual time on third day.

Eg: Say you usually take them 8am and want to change to taking them of an evening at 9pm then day take at 12noon (instead of 8am), day 2 take at 5pm and day 3 take at 9pm, continuing at 9pm on subsequent nights.

I wouldn't take a double dose on one day but I guess you could split the dose on day 1 (eg half morning and half evening) and then day 2 take all in the evening.

If still unsure about it then ask your pharmacist or doctor for advice on the side effects and/or changing time of dose.
  • Options
    i take mine at night