Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bank account fraud

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This isn't on behalf of myself, but my friend. I've been trying to find information but so far no good.

Basically this is all I know, they have an account that they never use and there hasn't been money in it for a long time (after this I shall strongly advise them to shut it down!). Anyway, someone's set up a payment to a wildlife trust from this bank account, its a place they've never heard of until today. They've argued with the bank saying it wasn't them but the bank is still trying to make them pay for it. Do they actually have to pay for this? What should they do?

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that they report it to the police. Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If fraud is suspected then best your friend sees the police if just to cover themselves. As for taking further advice visit the Citizen's Advice Bureau. That is where I'm getting much help on a load of other things at present. They're good people, professional volunteers on a load of different subjects.

Poppi
    How long has the money been going out for? Was a monthly cost? If they were quick in spotting the fraudulent outgoings, then the bank will be happy to help. That was what happened in my example in Christmas 2007 when ?300 decided to magically disappear from a Euro ATM, even though I haven't been abroad for 5 years. I reported it on the day the ?300 vanished (roughly £225) then it was back in my account in 2 working days. If it has been going on for months though, the bank might say to your friends that they should have been checking their statements when they arrived in the post.

BTW, the "?" was meant to be the Euro sign (ALT + 4) but the board didn't seem to parse it.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    How long has the money been going out for? Was a monthly cost? If they were quick in spotting the fraudulent outgoings, then the bank will be happy to help. If it has been going on for months though, the bank might say to your friends that they should have been checking their statements when they arrived in the post.

You do have six year to claim money back from your bank and visa versa, but not noticing it until after it its been going on for several months, say, will not sit well with the bank.

Is the payment a Direct Debit? If it is you can claim under the Direct Debit Idemnity Scheme for a rebate and then you might be able to get proof that your firend didnt set it up. Standing orders are a lot harder to claim back.
    Don't know what info they got hold of to set up the regular payment. Just in case they've done more with personal details, it may be worth getting a credit report from one of the credit reference agencies. It's possible to do this online or ring up an automated service and pay a small fee for a report posted to you. Your friend should ensure the wider scene is all clear
    someone set up phone contracts from my account fraudulently and ran up a couple of bills totaling over 2 grand, i phoned them and told them of this fraudulent activity and also reported it to the police and after not to long the debt was wiped off and my account went back to normal.

i was in on it though! :chin: