Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a landlord to do repairs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When your home has some repair work needed, how easy is it to get your landlord to remedy the problem where you're living? Obviously there are good ones who live up to their responsibility- after all it's included in the rent. Then there are bad landlords who are evasive, or you have managing agents that you don't hear back from. What helpful experiences are there to share? and how bad were the 'bad' landlords?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mines crap. She hardly ever does anything that needs doing
    Mine is crap! We didn't have a light in the kitchen for 2 months! And the front door handle fell off over 6 weeks ago and we haven't had a new one even though it keeps falling off
    I was in a shared house in from 2003 to 2006 and we had an awesome landlord. In 2003, we had a druggie who got high one night and locked himself out of his room. On the phone to the landlord, he instructed us to ram his door, LOL. One by one, we took a swipe at the door. None of us could knock it down, although I did manage to dent the woodwork :-) He ended up having to drive 40 miles from his place to our's and unlocking the unfortunate door at 1AM. Next day, he came back with a new door :-D

Two weeks later, another drugs incident with the same lad, cue drugs raid involving 5 armed police officers at 3AM, followed by swift eviction of said lad :-)
    My landlords have both been fabulous. I rented both times through estate agents who managed both places but even so they couldn't authorise anyone even coming to look at the problem let alone do repairs without the landlord's approval. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it is something to do with having an agent person to manage the places for the landlord has meant I've had decent landlords?
    We have a decent landlord. He is quite relaxed about stuff and always sends someone round to fix things if they break (eg when the shower was leaking into Mrs Downstairs' bedroom!)