Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting around London...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    actually i did have someone help me with my pushchair at battersea the other day. I was really surprised and pleased. The rest of the journey id had to carry it up whole flights of stairs on my own with people just pushing past
    g_angel wrote: »
    Strange, people are usually very accommodating, when I've been on the tube.

yes my sister in law is pregnant and gets offered a seat every day on the tube - however - I can see if your traveling with a pushchair it makes it all the more complicted as the only seat you can have is the one next to the door...

I to always help people with push chairs as well
    I actually think most londoners must be total selfish cunts. I think they should put a warning on the london underground stating this

LOL I wouldn't say this but they are totally different. It seems to be each man for himself in London! Friendly to strangers they are not.

My mam was in London and a lost tourist asked her for directions. She helped them and they said 'you're not from London are you?' She said how do you know, because the directions were right. The tourist said 'because I've been asking people for ages and you're the first person that's stopped to help me!'
    kangoo wrote: »
    LOL I wouldn't say this but they are totally different. It seems to be each man for himself in London! Friendly to strangers they are not.

My mam was in London and a lost tourist asked her for directions. She helped them and they said 'you're not from London are you?' She said how do you know, because the directions were right. The tourist said 'because I've been asking people for ages and you're the first person that's stopped to help me!'

No, this is only partly true. We are generally a reasonably friendly city, we're just not over the top and we dont like poking into other peoples business.

Trust me, its the rush hour on the Tube, it would take a saint not to get a bit competitive about it.
    im not talking about rush hour.
    I wouldnt dream of travelling in london in rush hour with children. Im talking about last sunday afternoon is my example im using, but i dont live that far from London, im not a stranger to it. My boyfriend lived there for seven years and was quite amazed at the difference in attitudes just less than an hour outside the place when he moved here, You probably dont notice because youre so used to it

Me neither. Its all the time. I don't set foot outside in London in rush hour! :nervous:
    You probably dont notice because youre so used to it

:yes: Its quite a shock for people that don't live in London. You think, everyone hates me in London! It's just a different culture
    I wouldnt dream of travelling in london in rush hour with children. Im talking about last sunday afternoon is my example im using, but i dont live that far from London, im not a stranger to it. My boyfriend lived there for seven years and was quite amazed at the difference in attitudes just less than an hour outside the place when he moved here, You probably dont notice because youre so used to it

Blimey, well if I come across you at some point I will make a point of offering you my seat if I have one. I'm surprised you've had such bad experiences, we're not all bad.
    kangoo wrote: »
    Me neither. Its all the time. I don't set foot outside in London in rush hour! :nervous:

Even rush hour is fine as long as you know exactly where to go, move quickly, dont stand on the left of escalators and dont stand in the way of people getting off tubes.
    budda wrote: »
    Blimey, well if I come across you at some point I will make a point of offering you my seat if I have one. I'm surprised you've had such bad experiences, we're not all bad.

lol im sure youre not, but as kangoo said, its just a different culture
    lol im sure youre not, but as kangoo said, its just a different culture

I can see what you mean, its largely because no one knows anyone else, everyone I know has friends all over London, there isnt really a community as such.
    yeah I think noone cares about barging past people because the chances are, anyone you see, youre never going to see them again. Everyones depersonalised. Its just like a big machine
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    Talk to me like I'm an idiot please - then I will understand.

If I get off a train at Liverpool St Station how do I get to all the good shops in london? I would like to walk if I could - if its within good distance - but what direction - ish or what train would I get on? Do I need to leave the station and head to an underground or can I stay in liverpool st?

Also how would I get to the London Palladium on Argyll Street, again from Liverpool St station?

I have no idea where to start! I want to explore London a bit but need some sort of direction I guess or else Im going to be totally bewildered and get mega mega lost.

Any general/specific help/advice would be mosssssstttt highly appreciated.

Cheers :thumb:

We share the same problem! :lol:

But don't worry, we'll get by. As for me, I am running through the London Tube Map to help lessen the chances of me getting lost. :lol:
    JessaAZ wrote: »
    We share the same problem! :lol:

But don't worry, we'll get by. As for me, I am running through the London Tube Map to help lessen the chances of me getting lost. :lol:

Ah don't worry about it. I managed it on Tuesday, both by myself on some tubes and with someone else and it really is simple. The tubes are cheap to use AND they stop like everywhere.

I was impressed by London's transport :) and laughed at my worrying! :razz:
    As someone who has to use the Tube at least twice a day, I can safely say that I hate it, especially the fucking District line which I sadly live on. Smelly, cramped, full of moronic tourists and slow. If I can possibly help it, I get the bus. London's bus network is actually pretty good and 90p for as far as you want to go on your Oyster card, it's not to be sniffed at.