Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Yet another report pointing out the drug war is lost

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not saying the law is at fault, I'm saying the law isn't relevant to whether people will go out and buy heroin or not. They do so regardless of its legality, they break the law incidentally.

Agreed, some people will do so regardless of whether it is legal or not. I'm all for paying money to punish such people.
    Heroin use is it's own punishment and the crimes the addicts commit are crimes regardless of the motive. Why should possession alone be a crime? Punishing someone for heroin possession or use achieves nothing, it does not lower the amount of addicts. It's just a ridiculously expensive exercise in finger-wagging; "That'll teach you for taking heroin young man, now go waste more of the taxpayers money by sitting in jail for a few days....we've not got more important crimes to deal with". The law should not be used to punish people for the sake of punishing them, it should be used to minimise the impact of 'bad influences' upon society.

Possession is a crime because buying drugs fuels the sale of drugs, and the sale and use of drugs is bad because of the harm drugs do. By punishing the buyer the law makes it clear that they have done something wrong, the punishment alone (drugs policy is rarely punishment alone) may or may not make them see the light, but "Finger-wagging" is important because it at least sends the message that your behaviour is wrong even if you choose to ignore that message. You think that's a waste of money, I think that's why the law exists.
    It is not heroin use as such that is the bad influence upon society, it's the criminal black market supply gangs and the crimes of the desperate addicts that are. The best way to minimise those influences would be legalisation.

That's the crux of the matter really. At the end of the day the legalizer doesn't actually believe that heroin is in itself bad. Somebody who is against legalisation does. I think addiction is in itself a bad thing because of the harm it does to a person's body and mental state, the misery it brings to a person's life (and the lives of those attached to them). All that would be magnified with legalisation as well as the cost of treatment for such people.
    A black market so tiny it's insignificant. There's little if any black market for alcoholic spirits for example, you never hear of gang turf wars over who's selling the vodka on the estate (except during prohibition in the USA, of course). Pure heroin is manufactured already VERY cheaply and can be sold for a fraction of current prices, no-one will take the risk of smuggling or manufacturing poor quality street heroin when it's not expensive enough to be worth the legal risk. Dealers only bother because of the high profit involved; they cannot compete with modern industrial production.

Agreed, the crime connected with gang wars would probably reduce. That is the only good part of the pro-legalisation argument. But how big the black market would be will vary depending on supply and how restrictive the legalisation programme is. And even if the drug gangs are pushed out of that business they, being the resilient fellows that they are, will no doubt find some other way to be mischievous. Weigh that up against the harm done to society by more people taking heroin and I don't think it's worth it.
    For heroin, yes. For other non-addictive drugs where help isn't necessarily needed we're still left with black market criminal gangs and the burden to courts, prisons and police.

So? Your argument was that people who want to seek out help with an addiction are scared off by fear of punishment and legalisation would solve that problem.
    Because culture and society has a far more important influence than law. Law should be a pragmatic and objective system. There are plenty of things that are legal but frowned upon by society and hence socially discouraged; people will still 'look down' upon junkies regardless of the law. In the case of heroin, withdrawal is a more potent deterrant to the junkie to not kick the habit than legality is for them to kick it.

Of course culture and society have their influence, the law doesn't work alone but it also has an important influence on culture and society. Even if it were initially still socially discouraged the influence of the law would be lost as a result of which it would gradually become more and more socially acceptable, which is part of the reason why people who want it to be socially acceptable are for legalisation. Having a never ending cheap supply of heroin with the law no longer telling you to stop is an even more potent reason for the junkie not to kick the habit.

There are more important uses for tax money than finger wagging.

"Finger wagging" is what the law is for.
  • Options
    No I don't already know. Let's assume you've made the case that heroin, coke and meth are "too dangerous" to allow people to have, you've got to do that all over again, for every single drug that you want to ban. And you haven't. Name one that kills more people than peanuts or aspirin. You're just ignoring the scientific fact that these drugs are far less dangerous than practically anything you can come up with. You're opinion is based on absolutely nothing.

You're just ignoring all the negative effects that you know are connected to them. I imagine they're banned because of that, and because it is believed that once you begin with less dangerous drug abuse you are more likely to progress to more dangerous drug abuse.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Possession is a crime because buying drugs fuels the sale of drugs, and the sale and use of drugs is bad because of the harm drugs do.

MORE harm is caused by drugs when they remain illegal. More harm to society and more harm to the user. The law as it stands creates more problems than it solves.
    By punishing the buyer the law makes it clear that they have done something wrong

Fundamentally the act of taking a drug isn't 'wrong'. Simply getting high isn't immoral.
    The issue of morality comes in when the oney goes to organised crime or when the user acts in a way that is detrimental to others, such as stealing to pay for their drugs. Most of those issues arrise because there is a black market created by the law.
    At the end of the day the legalizer doesn't actually believe that heroin is in itself bad. Somebody who is against legalisation does. I think addiction is in itself a bad thing because of the harm it does to a person's body and mental state, the misery it brings to a person's life (and the lives of those attached to them). All that would be magnified with legalisation as well as the cost of treatment for such people.

Well actually it the impurities in heroin that are most damaging to the users body and the risk of disease. Issues created by the fact there is no quality control on black market drugs, and use is underground resulting in the sharing of needles and such.
    Precribe a heroin addict clean gear, a safe place and method to take it and these issues would be greatly reduced.

Drugs related crime costs society far more than any such treatment.

So? Your argument was that people who want to seek out help with an addiction are scared off by fear of punishment and legalisation would solve that problem.
    Having a never ending cheap supply of heroin with the law no longer telling you to stop is an even more potent reason for the junkie not to kick the habit.

So you think the law is a big incentive for addicts to kick the habit? It's not.
    And by treating addiction as a crime rather than an illness, landing the addict with conviction after conviction who exactly do are we helping? It isn't the addict.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You're just ignoring all the negative effects that you know are connected to them. I imagine they're banned because of that, and because it is believed that once you begin with less dangerous drug abuse you are more likely to progress to more dangerous drug abuse.

I know it may be hard for you to grasp, but most people who use illegal drugs do so without getting addicted, turning to a life of crime or dying.
    In much the same way people drink without becoming alcoholics.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You're just ignoring all the negative effects that you know are connected to them.
    No I'm not, I'm saying that it isn't there. Like I said, point to any piece of evidence that ecstacy, cannabis and LSD are more dangerous than currently legal substances, and I'll begin to take your argument seriously.
    I imagine they're banned because of that, and because it is believed that once you begin with less dangerous drug abuse you are more likely to progress to more dangerous drug abuse.
    Yet again, there is no evidence that this happens. I'm sorry if I'm ruining your arguments by demanding evidence, (shock, horror), but I was under the impression that evidence is the way we decide how dangerous a substance is.

Incidentally, Skive is right about quality control. If I offered you a drink of absinthe made in the brief period it was illegal in France, and made in someone's dirty bathtub, or a drink from a bottle made in clean, regulated, modern factories, which would you pick? I can't believe anyone would pick the former, but plenty of people currently end up doing so with illegal drugs, because the second option isn't there. And so substances which aren't particularly dangerous may just become a bit moreso (and even in this situation, most of them are still not as dangerous as aspirin).
  • Options
    Runnymede, watch this and tell me what you think?

A reassessment by independant scientists and experts on the risks of different drugs including those that are legal. Based on three criteria, the risk to the user, the addictiveness, and the social damage they are then put into ranked list. The results may suprise you.

Part one (the other parts are on there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3gIuWYnQo&feature=related
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    That's the crux of the matter really. At the end of the day the legalizer doesn't actually believe that heroin is in itself bad. Somebody who is against legalisation does. I think addiction is in itself a bad thing because of the harm it does to a person's body and mental state, the misery it brings to a person's life (and the lives of those attached to them). All that would be magnified with legalisation as well as the cost of treatment for such people.

Of course heroin in of itself isnt bad (or good), its a chemical like many others.

If it is used in a hospice to give comfort to someone dying of cancer I would say it is a very useful tool.

If it is being injected by a 15 year old in a park with a dirty needle then I'd suggest its harmful.

But it isnt actually the heroin which is the issue here, it is how its used and by whom. The heroin problem in the UK is the easiest of any of the drugs to solve, make it the same prescription class as methadone and let GP's and drug counsellors do their job with a wider array of tools.
  • Options
    If you tried to buy fifty kilos of heroin in Afghanistan or Pakistan you couldn't.
    The place is crawling with British and American inteligence to make sure you can't.
    They only sell it to certain people.
    Heroin is now the cheapest it's ever been.
    If your government really wanted heroin off the streets it would be very easy to do at the moment.
  • Options
    No I'm not, I'm saying that it isn't there. Like I said, point to any piece of evidence that ecstacy, cannabis and LSD are more dangerous than currently legal substances, and I'll begin to take your argument seriously.

I'm not looking for your approval IWS, you're free not to take my argument seriously if you like. I'm not saying that cannabis, LSD and ecstasy are necessarily MORE dangerous than currently legalised substances though. What I've said is that the fact that harmful substances are currently legal is not an argument for legalising other harmful substances. The drugs you've mentioned are less dangerous than others, but the actions of people while using them, or the combination of them with other substances like alcohol can still be dangerous.

Ecstasy and its side effects:
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/PDF/Infofacts/MDMA06.pdf
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/pdf/infofacts/ClubDrugs06.pdf
    http://www.drugabuse.gov/PDF/MDMAConf.pdf

Cannabis and its side effects
    http://www.lunguk.org/NR/rdonlyres/94E8B464-B0D3-4E35-A759-79558CF9B89C/0/A_Smoking_Gun.pdf
    http://thorax.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/62/12/1058 (have to pay)
    http://thorax.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/62/12/1036?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Cannabis&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT
    http://www.nida.nih.gov/pdf/MJConf/MJConf.pdf
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/4109360.stm
    http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120136671/abstract (have to pay)

Granted LSD is relatively tame (possible terror while using, and spontaneous flashbacks sometime afterwards aside).

Yet again, there is no evidence that this happens. I'm sorry if I'm ruining your arguments by demanding evidence, (shock, horror), but I was under the impression that evidence is the way we decide how dangerous a substance is.

There is evidence:
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1367674 (have to pay).
    But there isn't evidence that legalising less harmful drugs will encourage more people to take more harmful drugs by removing the stigma around drug use generally, yet that doesn't change the fact that it is plausible either.
    Incidentally, Skive is right about quality control. If I offered you a drink of absinthe made in the brief period it was illegal in France, and made in someone's dirty bathtub, or a drink from a bottle made in clean, regulated, modern factories, which would you pick? I can't believe anyone would pick the former, but plenty of people currently end up doing so with illegal drugs, because the second option isn't there. And so substances which aren't particularly dangerous may just become a bit moreso (and even in this situation, most of them are still not as dangerous as aspirin).

I've already given my views on this argument to be honest: both lower and higher quality versions of heroin are addictive. Addiction bad. Doing something dangerous while under the influence of some drug - bad. Even mixing relatively tame drugs together may be damaging.

But opposition to drugs has no basis in fact so never mind.
  • Options

But there isn't evidence that legalising less harmful drugs will encourage more people to take more harmful drugs by removing the stigma around drug use generally, yet that doesn't change the fact that it is plausible either.

Take a look at Holland.
    The average age of a heroin addict there is 48 years old.
    Cannabis is widely available and widely accepted.
    Less young people there use drugs now they have been so available and acceptable these last twenty years.
  • Options
    I'm not looking for your approval IWS, you're free not to take my argument seriously if you like.
    It's not a case of whether I take your argument seriously or not, it's a case of whether you are able to back it up with evidence. My opinion has not bearing on this, since it is something we can objectively measure.

Anyway, I'm reading the link you gave to MDMA, so I'll get back to you later (though I'm a bit dubious already about a paper that refers to it as "abuse" from the very start).
  • Options

That's a comprehensive selection of neatural sources there.

The short term risk from ecstasy is less or at least comparable to many extreme sports. Do you suggest we outlaw sky diving, horse riding and rock climbing?

Why is the recreation use of ecstasy wrong, when as recreationally throwing yourself out of a plance is considered perfectly fine?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    That's a comprehensive selection of neatural sources there.

Read them. They're quite interesting. I'm particularly interested in the section I'm reading at the moment about the number of deaths attributed to MDMA where no actual MDMA is found in the system, yet a whole variety of other substances are. I doubt that would happen in a legislated industry like the alcohol or tobacco industry somehow.
  • Options
    Read them. They're quite interesting.

They're out of date. The info about toxicity in animals appears to refer to a study that has since been discredited.

This is a honest documentary about the history, the effetcs, medical use, and popular studies regarding ecstasy. What makes it suprising is that from Peter Jennings and ABC - it must have gone down a storm in America.

RUNNYMEDE WATCH IT.

Ecstasy Rising
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1564288654365150131
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Debating the relative harms of the legal and illegal drugs is completely missing the point anyway.

Legal supply of recreational drugs doesnt have to be safe, it doesnt even have to be a great solution - all it has to be is better than what we have now, and it certainly cant fail as badly as the law is at the moment.