Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Counterfeit Tobacco

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wasnt sure where to post this but yeah...

A friend of mine recently purchased some drum tobacco, supposidly from spain. Hes a little worried because there is a lot of counterfeit tobacco around these days that can be pretty bad for your health. Hes looked around online but cant seem to find websites that provide information about how to spot counterfeit tobacco.

Any advice on what to look for or what sites can help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    there is a lot of counterfeit tobacco around these days that can be pretty bad for your health.

lol
    What? counterfeit tobacco countains a lot more tar as well as other nasty chemicals, is it such a crime to want to smoke as safely as possible? :P
    Strange thread, for years now I've been smoking counterfeit fags when I'm skint, other than them tasting rank I don't think they're more dangerous than normal ones.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Strange thread, for years now I've been smoking counterfeit fags when I'm skint, other than them tasting rank I don't think they're more dangerous than normal ones.

The fake ones have contained all sorts of unpleasant things, with no quality control at all its just whatever comes to hand to stuff in - much like the drug market really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7273976.stm
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    What? counterfeit tobacco countains a lot more tar as well as other nasty chemicals, is it such a crime to want to smoke as safely as possible? :P

not a crime but a bit of a contradiction in terms
    Counterfeit tobacco is everywhere. In Greece, Bulgaria, Spain. And yes, much of these fake cigs contain dangerous chemicals though I can not substantiate this but heard it rumoured.

In Greece it's not so bad because original Virginia tobacco plants were brought from the US to be grown in the Peloponnese mainland, hence George Karelias "Smoother taste" cigs that are among the very best. Tip: If you go to Kalymnos and see Johnny Makarios in Pothia's Commercial Road (he runs an electrical shop with his bros and shrill wives) you can buy them wholesale, price just 1.38, a real bargain. That's a little over £1 per packet of 20. Tell them Poppi Koullias sent you. :)
    budda wrote: »
    The fake ones have contained all sorts of unpleasant things, with no quality control at all its just whatever comes to hand to stuff in - much like the drug market really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7273976.stm

if the duty paid ticket on them as the letters and numbers OT 7069 its doggy gear fags and bacca
    I'm going to close this thread as it's from 2008 :)
This discussion has been closed.