Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Clothes to an interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so after weeks of hunting I've finally got an interview at my local co-op. I've dug out some smart black trousers and a sort of fitted blouse. However, the blouse is a bit big on me now and looks a bit frumpy/schoolish. I've got a fitted black top with little white polka dots which looks quite smart so I don't know if I should go for that instead?
Also, I don't have any smart black shoes because my other ones got holes in the soles so I threw them away and haven't bought any others. I've got some plain red leather flat shoes, would they be ok, or is red a bit too bold?
Sorry but I only got offered the interview an hour ago and it's for tomorrow at 1.30 so I'm a bit rushed.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If your wearing red shoes then do you have a red top which you can wear to go with them?
    I've only got a red tshirt but it doesn't look smart enough for an interview.
    Do you have any pics? To be honest, its only the co-op so I wouldn't worry about being mega smart - they won't expect you to wear a suit or anything! I think red shoes sounds fine
    do you have a red necklace/belt?

as long as you look clean, and smart, i wouldnt worry

oh, and good luck!
    It went well, my trousers were too small for me so they were slicing me in half. I really need to get some new ones! It was really informal anyway so I don't think they were too fussed. I just scrubbed up and looked smart and presentable. I'll find out tomorrow if they're offering me a job or not, but its 25 people going for 3 jobs so i'm not getting my hopes up!
    I think you'll be ok. It doesn't matter that much but as someone who spent some time in the co op (wasnt fun!) we had some people turn up for interview in slipknot hoodies and baggy trousers... if they don't at least make an effort to look professional / smart for the interview then are they going to make an effort with their appearance day to day when representing the co op?

But as long as you make an effort, they're happy. I think the trick to getting a job where I was, was to say you're a people person / customer oriented / friendly or something along those lines. They wanted us to be almost ambassadors and provide 'service excellence' all the time. Whether that was the case or not... the supervisor tier was absolutely dire. People who got the jobs because they had been there so long rather than really excelling at their jobs, because all the good supervisors get promoted to manager. /rant
    Well I wonder how some of the people there got their jobs, I went to ask at the tobacco counter where I should go, she knew I was there because she saw me but she stood with her back to me and ignored me for several minutes while she unwrapped some fags. But the supervisor who sat at the back 'for experience' had his sleeves rolled up with tattoos showing, piercings and half his shirt untucked. But maybe cause he's higher up he gets it easier.
    I got the job!! I've only been given the 9 hour a week facing job which means I'm shelf stacking/cleaning etc 3 days a week before they close. I wasn't actually looking for a job anymore because I handed in my form there ages ago and it's getting close to me going to uni but it's experience and training and something to put on my CV! Just sucks I've been looking all summer and when I finally find something I won't be there long!
    Oh well, I'm well chuffed though! Got training tomorrow and pick up my uniform!! :D
    Well done!

Could you not keep it on as a job for in the holidays? You mihgt also be able to get a transfer to a store near uni. It's always good to have a p/t job at uni for extra cash :)