Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Do you think there's intelligent life on other planets?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find the notion that this is the only planet in the galaxy which holds life to be it inconceivable, frankly. There must be something apart from us in the universe.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I find the notion that this is the only planet in the galaxy which holds life to be it inconceivable, frankly. There must be something apart from us in the universe.

I think that is agreed. Noone on here seems to disagree.
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Why though?

I find it amazing that we even exist in the first place. Imagining the billions of different factors that needed to be just right life to appear is mind boggling. If anything as minute as temperature had been different during the primordial soup, life wouldn't have developed.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I find it amazing that we even exist in the first place. Imagining the billions of different factors that needed to be just right life to appear is mind boggling. If anything as minute as temperature had been different during the primordial soup, life wouldn't have developed.

Yes but imagine the trillions upon trillions of planets there are in the universe. Logic says life will appear at least in one other place in this universe. They're probably writing threads on their internet about us as we speak!
    technological development in western civilisation has been increasing exponentially... with free energy who knows what an alien civilisation (or human) is capable of. visiting earth? definately! Im sure the steam train or flight was as unthinkable in the 17th centuary as meaningful space travel is now.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    technological development in western civilisation has been increasing exponentially... with free energy who knows what an alien civilisation (or human) is capable of. visiting earth? definately! Im sure the steam train or flight was as unthinkable in the 17th centuary as meaningful space travel is now.

Not wanting to be pedantic, but the first steam turbine was invented in 1551 and Da Vinci was designing gliders, helicopters and a tank in the early1500's.:p
    minimi38 wrote: »

Not quite sure I'd describe development as exponential - it's had plenty of stops and starts int he last 5,000 years (the fall of the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages, the end of the Mycean civilization, etc) as have the advanced civilisations across the world.

I think you can make a strong case for an exponential increase post the industrial revolution though - for all the good and ill it's brought.

As to the actual question - I'm always interested by the studies of Venus that seem to imply to was pretty close to having the same conditions for life as Earth but the environment was just too harsh. There is an implication that life occuring out of organic matter (which fills the universe and planets, just isn't living - chemicals, etc) isn't as rare as we'd like to believe.

The bigger issue is whether or not wormholes or other scientific theories can ever allow faster than light travel. It's possible they could, but it's also possible Einstein is right and nothing goes faster than light. If that's true then even at the speed of light the nearest star, Proxima Centauri is 4.3 light years away -

That's 4.3 years traveling at 186,282 miles per second or 25 million million miles

Proxima is the dim red star near to the Twin stars of Alpha and Beta Centauri, btw.

When you consider that is just the very closest star system then the question does seem to be not whether life is out there but whether we would ever, ever find each other.

Well worth checking out this map then keep clicking on zoom out :)
    http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/12lys.html

However if someone did come across life that was on a different planet then I'd imagine they'd immediately check it out and what to make contact, study it, communication for the same reason we would - overwhelming curiosity.
    Jim V wrote: »
    However if someone did come across life that was on a different planet then I'd imagine they'd immediately check it out and what to make contact, study it, communication for the same reason we would - overwhelming curiosity.

But if they had the technology to contact other life by the time they found us they might have already found thousands of other intelligent life forms and we'd be of no more interest than discovering a new species of beetle.
    But if they had the technology to contact other life by the time they found us they might have already found thousands of other intelligent life forms and we'd be of no more interest than discovering a new species of beetle.

Man, you do realise how many 1000's of people on Earth do get paid to discover new species of beetles don't you :p
    Jim V wrote: »
    Man, you do realise how many 1000's of people on Earth do get paid to discover new species of beetles don't you :p

That's what UFOs are - the Galactic equivalent of Beetle hunters...:chin:

We may in fact be a protected species and no-one is allowed to contact us or their could be an intergalactic version of the Site where aliens are arguing over whether its right to contact humans or whether it would destroy our culture...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=127823

I'm actually ambivalent on whether there are aliens, but there could be plenty of reasons why we haven't been contacted
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Not wanting to be pedantic, but the first steam turbine was invented in 1551 and Da Vinci was designing gliders, helicopters and a tank in the early1500's.:p

How about these toys from an Egyptian pyramid ...around 3'500 years ago?

bird1rj3.gif

bird2im5.gif
    Crudely rendered toy birds.

However, the Chinese had toy bamboo helicopters around 400BC

The Egyptians of the day weren't exactly known for crude and they look nowt like birds.
    Look at toy birds and paintings of from the period.
    Surely the tail is the wrong way up for a bird?

The Chinese claim to have invented everything. They claim to have invented the camera around the same period. Shame they didn't invent two so they could take a photo and prove it. :p
    The Egyptians of the day weren't exactly known for crude and they look nowt like birds.
    Look at toy birds and paintings of from the period.
    Surely the tail is the wrong way up for a bird?
    I am far more prepared to believe that a yet-to-be-discovered lost civilisation on Earth had invented gliding than those are representations of alien ships seen by the Egyptians.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I am far more prepared to believe that a yet-to-be-discovered lost civilisation on Earth had invented gliding than those are representations of alien ships seen by the Egyptians.
    What about modern airplanes, gone back in time for a short visit with the first time machine, then back to the present? :p