Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Man not guilty of killing Jill Dando is a convicted rapist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040746/Barry-George-raped-mums-door-said-sorry.html

It angers me that in the British legal system, the jury are unaware of past convictions when assessing a current case. Obviously the fact that he is a convicted rapist doesn't automatically mean he killed Dando and shouldn't be used as an argument in that way, BUT one of the reasons he was let off was that with an IQ of 75 he couldn't have possibly orchestrated such an act. Yet the way he raped someone clearly shows he is in fact competent to carry out murder.

Edit: Miswrote last sentence at 4am, I didn't mean to say "he is in fact guilty", I meant if he raped then he could also have the competency to murder.

Comments

• Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1040746/Barry-George-raped-mums-door-said-sorry.html

It angers me that in the British legal system, the jury are unaware of past convictions when assessing a current case. Obviously the fact that he is a convicted rapist doesn't automatically mean he killed Dando and shouldn't be used as an argument in that way, BUT one of the reasons he was let off was that with an IQ of 75 he couldn't have possibly orchestrated such an act. Yet the way he raped someone clearly shows he is in fact guilty of such underground, dodgy crime.

One reason he get let off was because the evidence against him wasnt good enough. Id also be very careful about writing the thread title the way you have, as it implies that Barry George did the act, and he has been found innocent.
  • Options
    Indeed and the the thread title has been changed to reflect the fact that he has been found not guilty. Libel is a serious law and this thread can stay open for now but people need to be very careful when typing on this one.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Indeed and the the thread title has been changed to reflect the fact that he has been found not guilty. Libel is a serious law and this thread can stay open for now but people need to be very careful when typing on this one.

Exactly what I was thinking. Innocent until proven guilty.
  • Options
    It angers me that in the British legal system, the jury are unaware of past convictions when assessing a current case.

And why do you think that is?
  • Options
    It's because there has to be sufficient evidence that they committed the crime in question, and knowing about past convictions may bias the jury when they must base the case on solid evidence and facts about this case alone.
  • Options
    You dont have to be a genius to rape someone.
  • Options
    I thought it had been changed so that at the Judges discretion directly relevant past convictions could be brought up. I could be imaging it though

I can remember one of the journo's who covered the original trial saying that they were all suprised on the evidence that he was convicted, but that they all thought he was guilty.
  • Options
    What do we make of the (now) leading theory concerning her murder?

Namely that it was a revenge killing by a Serbian agent/assassin, following the deliberate murder of 16 civilians in the NATO bombing the Serbian state broadcasting centre in Belgrade three days earlier. There were several other such incidents in Europe over the suceeding weeks, including an apparent asassination attempt on Jamie Shea (the NATO spokesmen at the time). There was also a threatening phone call to the BBC the day after her murder referencing her death, the deaths of those killed in the attack on the Serbian state broadcaster, and a threat against Dando's immediate superior. Apparently Dando was a target because she had no security, was a public face of the BBC, and had a few weeks previously made an appeal on behalf of Kosovan Albanian refugees. There is other direct an circumstantial evidence as well, you can read a Guardian article about it here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jul/06/jilldando.weekend7

I have to say, I find it quite convincing and I don't often go in for so-called "conspiracy theories." The clinical manner of her murder and the hallmarks of Serbian/Yugoslav foreign mischief seem persuasive. Needless to say, the police found it somewhat easier to bring in "the local nutter" and get him charged instead.
  • Options
    To be honest I don't reckon it at all. It can't be fully discounted, but it seems unlikely. Political assinations are risky and given the state Serbia was in at the time they didn't want to enrage the Brits any more than they already had. I can just about see them hitting targets such as politicos, senior civil servants and soliders, even journalists with well defined strong links to Yugoslavia (Martin Bell perhaps), but there was no advanatage in killing Dando as it wouldn't make the slighest bit of difference.

if they'd then announced they'd shot her (perhaps inventing a pro-Serb terror group rather than Serb intelligence) you could have said it was to sew terror. But shooting a journo with some minor links to Kosovo doesn't make any sense.

It does seem to point to a lone nutter or someone with a personal grudge.
  • Options
    To be honest I don't reckon it at all. It can't be fully discounted, but it seems unlikely. Political assinations are risky and given the state Serbia was in at the time they didn't want to enrage the Brits any more than they already had. I can just about see them hitting targets such as politicos, senior civil servants and soliders, even journalists with well defined strong links to Yugoslavia (Martin Bell perhaps), but there was no advanatage in killing Dando as it wouldn't make the slighest bit of difference.

if they'd then announced they'd shot her (perhaps inventing a pro-Serb terror group rather than Serb intelligence) you could have said it was to sew terror. But shooting a journo with some minor links to Kosovo doesn't make any sense.

I agree it would seem somewhat "pointless" and quite strange to kill a supposedly minor player, especially not to announce it. However, the article I linked to does have this to say about such an objection:
    Orlando Pownall QC, for the Crown, told the jury [of the original Barry George trial] that it could not have been a Serbian assassin because Serbia had not claimed responsibility for the killing: had Milosevic wanted Dando's death to serve as a protest against Nato military action, he or his operatives would have publicised the fact. The most charitable thing to say about this assertion is that it demonstrates an ignorance of Balkan politics and, indeed, the history of the cold war. "Claims of responsibility" are made by groups such as the IRA or Eta. In 60 years, there has not once been a "claim of responsibility" for an assassination carried out by east European secret services. [Even though they were pretty much standard practise]

I suppose thats what makes it difficult to confirm or even consider probable such an explanation. Its difficult to second guess these people, and its even more difficult to be confident that we know even half the facts of the case should it be true. Without wanting to delve too deeply into speculation, lets say the Serbian secret service/Milosovic's agents informed British/American agents that they had committed this murder, and threatened to execute further BBC staff if such bombings were repeated or escalated? Or, for that matter, it was simply a lone agent, either cut off or independent of his superiors, acting out of personal retaliation or assumption of orders?

The fraustrating thing (particularly for Dando's family) is that we'll probably never know. But given the almost total lack of evidence on George, which would have seemed extremely likely given his (apparently) limited mental capacity if he were guilty, and the absence of any other credible suspects; it seems the most likely explanation to me.
  • Options
    There have been assassinations when no-one has claimed responsibility - but the reason for those assassinations was a) either everybody knew who did it or b) to take out a specific threat or traitor.

Given the results of the Kosovo and Bosnia, and the British government's refusal in other cases to give into blackmail I'd be very suprised if the British government did cover up messages from Serbian intelligence, instead of demanding the person responsible was handed over. Serbia have just handed over Karadzic - who has much popular support still. I can't see them risking anything by conspiring with the UK Govt to protect a two-bit assassin.

I wouldn't discount it entirely, but everything I've seen about the case suggests a lone nutjob, rather than an orchestrated hit.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Its very interesting the way I've seen things phrased especially on Sky News today. Instead of saying "has been found not guilty of", its more like "he didn't kill her" / "he spent 8 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit". There's insufficient proof that he did or did not kill her, thus to say outright he did not commit the crime seems a bit much??

I'm not saying that in this case the fact he raped someone 12 years ago or whatever should have swung the balance. Just don't like the idea that everyone has a completely clean slate when surely such serious past convictions give a good idea about the guy's character which is important for context; also what I'd seen that they didn't think he could possibly have the cunning and intellect to kill someone. If he was competent enough to rape someone on a staircase then he was competent enough to shoot someone on their doorstep..
  • Options
    There's insufficient proof that he did or did not kill her, thus to say outright he did not commit the crime seems a bit much??

Why?:confused: I take it you've never heard of 'innocent until proven guilty'?
    If he was competent enough to rape someone on a staircase then he was competent enough to shoot someone on their doorstep..

You make it sound like he's been found guilty of both crimes.

If he did rape someone (I'm not saying whether he did or not) doesn't always mean he'll kill someone.
    knowing about past convictions may bias the jury when they must base the case on solid evidence and facts about this case alone.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Why?:confused: I take it you've never heard of 'innocent until proven guilty'?
    I'm not talking about from a legal court-of-law perspective he is not guilty, I'm saying from a slightly pedantic, common sense point of view, how can you say "He was jailed for a crime HE DID NOT COMMIT" when you don't have sufficient proof either way? If you have concrete evidence that you were at work when the shooting happened, then we can say "Melian did not murder Jill Dando". If I cannot prove where I was, it is incorrect to say "Tinkler did not murder Jill Dando" if you can't 100.0% prove that. Pedantic, but see where I'm getting at? Just seems weird for the press to say he did NOT commit the crime (different from being "not guilty" in a court of law). Given his obsession with her, far from law-abiding past, proof of being a fantasist, delusional, pathological liar, can't prove where he was etc etc, how can you say for sure he definitely didn't do it ?
  • Options
    Thats the way the justice system works, you get found innocent, usually means that he didnt commit a crime.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Thats the way the justice system works, you get found innocent, usually means that he didnt commit a crime.
    There's plenty of people who 'might have' or 'probably' committed a crime but there's insufficient concrete evidence to prove them. Being 'not guilty' in a court of law on insufficient evidence, and if they actually did/didn't do the crime, are two very different things. Hence a tiny 6% or something of rape accusations leading to successful conviction.
  • Options
    I think what they [the papers] are probly aiming at, is not getting sued for libel to be fair.
  • Options
    Personally i would like to see tighter restrictions on what papers can print, what information police can release about on going investigations and suspects. Potentially your life and reputation can be ruined by media coverage before you even go to court, guilty or innocent.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Personally i would like to see tighter restrictions on what papers can print, what information police can release about on going investigations and suspects. Potentially your life and reputation can be ruined by media coverage before you even go to court, guilty or innocent.
    This is separate to what I'm talking about re past convictions, but yes you're absolutely right, and I'm surprised there's not been more effort for this to happen. The reputations of Matthew Kelly ("paedophile"), John Leslie ("rapist"), Robert Murat ("Maddy McCann kidnapper") have been utterly destroyed on things they did not do. I strongly believe the identities of anyone accused of something should never be made public by the press until they're found guilty.
  • Options
    There was not even a vague suggestion that this was a sexually motivated attack, so why would they tell the jury about his previous conviction (if thats what it is).

Given there is no credible evidence of any sort that he committed the murder I think its right to call him innocent.
  • Options
    IMO this was a textbook case of trial by media and the police being pressurised to solve the case at all costs.

Just like it happened with Colin Stagg, another 'oddball' according to our saintly press who clearly must have been Rachel Nickell's murderer, and whom the police went to extraordinary lenghts to try to implicate in a crime he did not commit.

Robert Murat should count himself lucky it was the Portuguese police who was investigating the Madeleine case, since the media in Britain had long decided he was a weirdo and must have taken the child. Had he lived in Britain he would be awaiting trial for the kidnapping of Maddie right now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    IMO this was a textbook case of trial by media and the police being pressurised to solve the case at all costs.

The same went for Damilola Taylor and the girl witness who was pushed forward.