Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scholarships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
As some of you might know I am moving to London to do a Master course in the fall. It will be way too expensive for me to be able to finance it, so was wondering if any of you knew some places where I could look for scholarship funds or the like?

Thanks
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What in?

Makes a big difference to where to look for money!
    Politics and Communication.

Have checked out the different ones through the school, and now trying to go through British Council and see if they have any links.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that you are Danish right? You could also look at applying for funding for international study through Danish sources? Danish Research Council perhaps?
    Yeah, I am looking through Danish sources at the moment :) It's just a massive hassle, especially as most Danish funds require that you're connected to a Danish institution or that you have completed your Bachelor in a Danish institution, or that you're from a specific geographic locations (meaning NOT the capital). Though there are a few that I can still apply for.
    It just hit me how expensive it'll be. So thought I'd hear if anyone had any suggestions as I am going to send out applications where I can and hopefully some will come back with a positive reply.
    See if anyone has a program called "funderfinder" in your area, or i think there's one online called grantfinder or something like that. you put in certain details and it lists all the possible places you could apply to for funding. Is what I plan to do!
    Not to worry you or anything but it might also be a little late in the day to get funding if your starting in a few months.

You could get a job!
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Not to worry you or anything but it might also be a little late in the day to get funding if your starting in a few months.

:yes: I'm finishing my MA in London at the moment and I know most funding had to be applied for by around Feb time before the start of the course. However you might find that your uni offers grants that you can apply for during the course that they don't tell you about before you start. I know I got quite a few emails about different grants available throughout the year which weren't listed anywhere. They are probably quite competative though and I know you had to provide three months worth of bank statements with annotations explaining any deposits or withdrawals over £100.

Other than that it might be worth getting a job to boost your income while you study. Again, I know at my uni they offered a few different internal jobs for postgraduate students, for example being paid to participate in practical exams for first year medical or nursing students (not like medical trials, you just have to be weighed/measured etc. by students) or to do some exam invigilation.
    I know :(
    Thing is I only applied in late March/early April - and as I was in doubt whether I'd get in I didn't dare to think about arrangements as I was scared I'd be left disappointed later. So yeah, my own fault I know.

I'm working until term starts to save up money. And after term starts I'll have to see what I can fit in with the studies as my first priority is to do well. I am not going to pay half a fortune to come out with something halfassed. But yeah not ruling jobs out, thing is even a steady job will not be able to pay for a whole lot when starting off with such a minus.
    Just going to keep looking for scholarships with the hope to diminish some of it.
    I found that having a job whilst at university forced me to be more oranised - when I did my MSc I ended up doing two part time jobs (long story) and only had one day in the week and the weekends to work on my dissertation - so I had to force myself to do all the other work in the little time i had and cut out all the faffing time and whilst everyone else was running round like headless chickens the weekend before it needed to be handed in I had done the final read through and edit on the saturday morning.