Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Problems Sleeping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just changed to a late shift at work. I get out around 9pm, so by the time I get home I don't get to have dinner till around 10pm. When I go to bed around 11pm/12pm just can't sleep! Thinking it's a mix of the heat and the fact I am having to eat so late. As a result I find I can't get up at a normal time in the morning which means I waste a lot of the day! Any suggestions? I guess I could go for a late night jog but then I have to wait a while for my food to go down lol.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyway you can switch to having your proper meal at lunchtime and a lighter snack meal in the evening? I'm thinking of dinner then sandwhiches rather than sandwhiches then dinner.

I find having a cool ish shower before bed can help me sleep when it's hot. Draws a line under the day, and if you do it in a relaxed manner then put on whatever you sleep in and go to bed not properly dry helps you not get too hot in bed.
    Anyway you can switch to having your proper meal at lunchtime and a lighter snack meal in the evening? I'm thinking of dinner then sandwhiches rather than sandwhiches then dinner.

I find having a cool ish shower before bed can help me sleep when it's hot. Draws a line under the day, and if you do it in a relaxed manner then put on whatever you sleep in and go to bed not properly dry helps you not get too hot in bed.

Cheers have tried your suggestion! Just eaten a salad tonight! And will try the coolish shower :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The cause was very different for me, but maybe it can help: I find it easier to sleep by telling myself a story. One that I remember, making one up would make the brain work a lot.
    When eating at night, eat slow energy releasing foods as opposed to quick boost stuff, so avoid white bread, sweets, fizzy drinks etc
    I always find going to bed say an hour earlier than i want to sleep and reading a book for a while relaxes me and helps me drift off more easily.
    The cause was very different for me, but maybe it can help: I find it easier to sleep by telling myself a story. One that I remember, making one up would make the brain work a lot.

hehe, I always make up random shit about fake characters that I've created. Living other people's lives puts me to sleep faster than anything! Thinking about myself however... I can stay awake for hours ;)

I wish I could help! I work random hours (yay for working shifts!) but so far I've been fortunate and can almost always crash whenever. Unless I start thinking about myself that is. ;)
    When I'm on lates or nights I eat my proper dinner at work about 5pm on my break. When I get home I'll have a small beer watch some TV to unwind then goto bed.
    Never had any problems.
    lol! I've always found that going to bed and imagining a little story makes me fall straight asleep, I've been doing it since I was little and it works every time
    Simmyluvsu wrote: »
    lol! I've always found that going to bed and imagining a little story makes me fall straight asleep, I've been doing it since I was little and it works every time

This makes me feel more awake.

Agreed.