Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm a Minger!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
We had a nice email through asking us to advertise a new show being put on by Operating Theatre Company, a small charity that's been running since 2002. Here's the slightly edited email -

I’m a part of Operating Theatre Company, a small charitable organisation that has been running since 2002. We are currently producing a new show called ‘I’m a Minger!’ that looks at the problems faced by teenagers, and the reasons why they have low self-esteem, consider self-harm, binge eat and drink, and sadly why they contemplate and often commit suicide. However, the show is a huge lot of fun – a riot, in fact. It is written and performed by the acclaimed writer Alex Jones, from the Black Country, and is based on the experiences of his own 14-year old daughter and her friends. In it he plays his own daughter, himself, as well as a vast catalogue of funny and touching characters. We took the show to the Arts Theatre in London’s West End and then to this years’ Latitude Festival, where it was clear the show has a huge future life and was fantastically received.

Teenagers and young people love it, and even adults have loved the show - mothers and daughters hugging and crying afterwards etc. It could even help save a few lives. The play will be featured on Radio 4’s ‘Woman’s Hour’ at the end of August, when the writer and his daughter will both be guests.

Alex Jones writes with fury, passion and compassion about those whose voices are seldom heard - Financial Times

A powerful new voice in the theatre - Daily Telegraph

We are planning a tour from Feb-April to many remote places in the UK, but these may be the last London dates we play.

You can see more about the show on these sites:

http://www.operating-theatre.co.uk/upcoming.html
http://www.theatre503.com/whatson/detail/46/

Ken Christiansen
Operating Theatre Company
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm a Minger! (are you?)

:wave:
    Hi Jim
    Thanks for the posting.
    We hope that some of your members come down to see the show - it's a scream!
    Very best
    Ken :thumb:
    I thought Jim was inviting to poke jest at his self esteem when i saw the thread title!

I'll certainly have a look into it.
    We are all MINGERS!

No - Mr G - this is a genuine show...!!

More words from the wise...and background.

A turbulent and triumphant tale of a totally troubled teen!

- New theatre comedy asks tough questions about teenage suicide rates
    - Preview audiences break down

- Final London dates 25th – 30th August at theatre503

Alex Jones writes with fury, passion and compassion about those whose voices are seldom heard - The Financial Times

A powerful new voice in the theatre – The Daily Telegraph

I saw a newspaper article about a young girl who had committed suicide because of bullying. She thought she was fat, but when you saw her picture in the paper, she was just an ordinary 14 year old girl and didn't look at all overweight. I have a daughter, and have watched her struggle with life - sometimes things are cool, but sometimes they have been desperately sad. I didn't want to write specifically about my daughter or of the poor girl's tragic story from the paper, but about how tough life is for all young girls today - the peer pressure, the pressure to pass exams, issues of weight, beauty, friendships, self-esteem. It's an important subject that deserves attention, and I think this play will be a unique and challenging way to address some of the issues – ALEX JONES

I’M A MINGER! by Alex Jones
    Dates: Mon 25th – Sat 30th August at 8pm. Sat matinee at 3pm
    Venue: theatre503, 503 Battersea park Road, SW11 3BW
    Box Office: 020 7978 7040
    Tickets: £10 (£5 preview on Monday 25th)

http://www.operating-theatre.co.uk/upcoming.html
    http://www.theatre503.com

Alex Jones’ plays include the critically acclaimed Noise for Soho Theatre (Critics Choice, Time Out), River's Up for Stephen Joseph Theatre (Critics Choice, Financial Times, Sunday Telegraph and The Observer), Mr And Mrs Schultz (Watermill Theatre), Canned Peaches In Syrup for Pasadena Playhouse, LA (Critics Choice, LA Times and Variety), Mickey And Me (Birmingham Rep/Swan Theatre), News Of The World (New Birmingham) and Flesh, Blood and Formaldehyde for BBC Radio 4, Lightbulbs (Critics Choice, Time Out) and The Worcester Pilgrim (Critics Choice, The Guardian and Radio Times).

Operating Theatre Company: OTC has produced and programmed 8 full productions, 70 public readings, run over 150 writers’ workshops and implemented numerous free developmental courses and projects for writers, directors and actors alike. Ongoing, weekly New Play Surgeries and bi-annual Writers’ Block weeks have spawned dozens of new works that have been seen at the National Theatre, Soho Theatre and Birmingham Rep as well as in the USA and internationally. OTC’s developed work has won many national and international awards and prizes for both writers and plays at the National Theatre and Manchester’s Royal Exchange among others. OTC maintains regular knowledge transfer projects in conjunction with Birkbeck University and Portsmouth University, Soho Theatre and The Old Vic.

It’s a measure of OTC’s success that artists of such calibre are beating a path to their door – METRO