Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cuil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was reading the BBC news this morning and heard about this new search engine that's trying to compete with google!

BBC News link

So I typed in the site - Found this little magazine article :)

34706207mz0.jpg

The only downfall is the time it takes to generate results.
Cuil.com

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I also like it but lets see how it will compete with google.
    I didn't like it. May need to try it a bit more.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I tried it. It looks nice, but I was looking for something earlier and it didn't find it, while google did...
    It's horrible.

The 3 column format is horrible and the relevancy of the results is horrible.
    Results accuracy isn't good, at the moment. But it does seem to have improved from day one, which is a great thing to see! They must be logging failed searches, and tailoring the system to better suit.

"AES zip"(without the quotation marks) drew no results on the day of launch. Today, it draws almost 1500...
    How do you log failed searches without asking the user to say if it was failed?
    While google displays my phone number, profession and email address on page one if I google myself, cuil doesn't even find me. Score! ;)
    Jaloux wrote: »
    While google displays my phone number, profession and email address on page one if I google myself, cuil doesn't even find me. Score! ;)

Found some completely random shit on me that i didnt think existed :P
    Google's changing thier search engine template though, where you can vote search results up and down like comments on youtube. Either way, Google isn't the best, it's just more suited because it's only JS/HTML/CSS on small amounts, so it loads faster for dialup users.
    MrG wrote: »
    Found some completely random shit on me that i didnt think existed :P
    Nothing at all on my name, however I write it.
    How do you log failed searches without asking the user to say if it was failed?

A search resulting with zero results would be a bit of a warning flare... ;)
    I've tried "Lilo & Stitch" keyword search on Cuil. I like its auto-fill, so it suggest other search terms as soon as I type Lilo-... ... Also, I'm liking how the search thumbnails each result. Relevancy was accurate.