Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing weight with PCOS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know theres a weightloss thread but this is a bit more specific.

I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and finding it hard because I have Poly-Cystic Ovaries. I put weight on very easily and its very hard to lose once its there. I've just started swimming twice a week for 30 mins which I'm aiming to increase to three 45 mins sessions a week, and I walk a mile a day easily. I cant do any gym/running/heavy joint impact work as I have hip problems.

Any tips? Also I have seen in more then one place that looking at GI levels in food might help (regulating blood sugar levels) but cant find any good sources.

Comments

• Options
    If you're swimming as exercise to lose weight then you need to make sure you're pushing yourself, half an hour of serene breaststroke has little effect.

Sorry I can't come up with anything more useful.
  • Options
    I'd like to know the answer too. I'm awaiting a blood test for PCOS and in the mean time I've started weightwatchers and bought a cross trainer and I've lost 3lbs in about 7 weeks. It's a nightmare.
    I bought the book; PCOS for dummies which has a wealth of information about GI diets. There's also a PCOS handbook out there too, written by Colette Harris.

Purplebutterfly, are you on any medication for it? If I'm diagnosed I'll be asking about Metformin as I have insulin resistance problems, but it also helps to aid weightloss.
  • Options
    If you're swimming as exercise to lose weight then you need to make sure you're pushing yourself, half an hour of serene breaststroke has little effect.

I do push myself, I'm not amazingly fast but can do about 20 lengths in half an hour and it nearly kills me every time.

Illora: Thank you for the book recommondations, I will have a look for them. I'm not on any medication apart from the implant, I've always been relucent to take drugs unless I really, really need them.