Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Excuses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What kinda thing do you use as an excuse if you've promised you'll be somewhere or go to something, but don't want to go? I usually use say I have to work.

I have a reason for asking, I'm suppose to go to a party this Friday, but for various reasons I'm not gonna go. But I need an excuse...

Comments

• Options
    Going on a date?
  • Options
    Family occasion they conveniently forgot to tell you about until last minute but can't really get out of.

Migraine (obviously depends what you do instead).

Got this weekend and next weekend confused and have double booked.
  • Options
    My mum always says I have an excuse for everything lol

Say that you would really like to come but you've got a family meal which you've promised to go to (cousins 18th or something) or you're babysitting.
  • Options
    How about not being a lying shit? (no offense)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    How about not being a lying shit? (no offense)

White lies are useful.

Telliing somebody that you can't make it for a particualr reason (even if it's made up) is more considerate and less rude than saying you can't be arsed.
    Of course you run the risk of being found out, and then it becomes even ruder, but that's always the chanve you take.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    id say im really not feeling up to it, or i wouldnt make a definite arrangement in the first place
  • Options
    'Skint mate, sorry' or 'got too much uni work to do'
  • Options
    Say you're surfing the crimson sea!
  • Options
    What's the real reason you can't go?
  • Options
    You have the runs. Not a backfiring question that can lead to more questions.
  • Options
    I usually try the truth. Honesty is good :thumb:
  • Options
    Family occasion they conveniently forgot to tell you about until last minute but can't really get out of.

Got this weekend and next weekend confused and have double booked.

I've used both of these to get out of work do's before.
  • Options
    What's the real reason you can't go?

Well I can go, I just don't want to. It's a mate's bday, not an especially good friend, but she's really good friends with my best friend (still following?) and she wants 4 of us to go out in fancy dress as army girls. Which generally isn't really my thing, because I'll just feel a bit of a twat. And I don't especially enjoy going out with that group, when I do I usually end up being left/wandering off and catching up with some other people. So all in all it's one I'd rather be out off. They didn't actually ask, they just presumed I would but I should have been quicker saying I couldn't go.
  • Options
    Hmm army girls, always nice when done right ;)
  • Options
    Yea but once in the club I'll be a lone army girl, or with a group of people in 'civis' so will just look like I have a slightly odd dress sense :grump:
  • Options
    I'd just give them my honest reason - "because I can't be arsed".
  • Options
    carel05 wrote: »
    I would rather tell that person that I am not really interested than make a lie. \

:yes: I tried once saying I had to work when my friends wanted me to go see that godawful sex in the city movie. I felt guilty for saying no to everything else for the last few weeks so I said yes. Then when I lied to try to get out of it they kept rescheduling so I'd be able to go :\

Since it doesn't seem your thing and you're not that keen of that group, I shouldn't imagine just saying, I'm just not up for it would be too offensive to anybody. And if they ask tell them you know you'll end up the lone army girl with a group of civis and that'll just be ackward for everybody ;)
  • Options
    my mates havin a party/bbq this weekend, been planned for months, but now me and my boyfriend are going away for the weekend. They'll be tonnes of people at this bbq, so when he asks where we arem we're gonna say we'll be there in half an hr, he'll get distracted by someone else, forget, then we'll just say something came up lol
  • Options
    my mates havin a party/bbq this weekend, been planned for months, but now me and my boyfriend are going away for the weekend. They'll be tonnes of people at this bbq, so when he asks where we arem we're gonna say we'll be there in half an hr, he'll get distracted by someone else, forget, then we'll just say something came up lol

Wouldn't guarantee this will work - when I held a big bbq recently I was quite upset by people who said they would turn up but didn't. I think it is much better to say you can't make it than leave them wondering...
  • Options
    i'd be really upset if a "mate" did that to me