Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

attention deficit disorder

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thats what i think i have, the inattentive one. I think Lenny has combined.
    The thing is a lot of the ADHD symptoms are similar to the dyspraxia symptoms, and a lot of the dyspraxia stuff isnt helped with his hypermobility either.
    I dont know what good a diagnosis would actually do me at my stage of life. Id be frightened of it even being a bit of a stigma for no real benefit. I *think* the medication is only licensed for children
    Are you trying the Omega 3 too SCC?
    i am actually. It apparently can take 3 or 4 months before benefit is seen though
    It would be worth looking into the diet stuff for both of you as well, it's the kind of thing that would only be good for you anyway, and might just help.

Can the school push to try and have him statemented? It might be a way of getting to see the Ed Psych.
    well ive always been pretty strict with his diet. artificial colourings etc just send him completely bananas, so ive always avoided them, although he handles them a bit better as hes got older, but its not something he gets often
    No, medication isn't only licenced for children that's a common misconception. My sister takes ritalin and she's 25.
    The problem with adult ADHD is that if you're diagnosed as a child, they somehow think you've grown out of it by the time you hit 18. It's simply not the case, so an adult referral and diagnosis is the only way to get continued treatment be it CBT (my sister has it) and/or medication. She even has a weekly session with a psychologist.

A diagnosis is only the start of it. If you want to read more about adult ADHD, I recommend 'Out of the Fog' - Treatment options and coping strategies for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, by Kevin R Murphy. It's helped my entire family - my mum and sister have read it, so has my Dad and myself.
    Thanks Ilora