Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pull ups

Ok guys, my second interview went really well, Im likely to be going onto the 2 day selection course before the end of august, while there is always room for improvement in all aspects of fitness that we do, theres only one thing that is starting to worry me a little.

PULL UPS

Obviously the best way to improve on numbers is practice practice practice, but to vary things around, are there any other exercises you can do that exercise the same or some of the same muscle groups, so i can vary it around a little.

Im ok with them, just i know i can be better.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are various ways of doing pull-ups. You can have your palms facing towards you with your arms wide/narrow.... or.... your palms facing away from you with your arms wide/narrow.

Whichever way you do it, just pull yourself up and hold yourself there, then slowly lower yourself and raise yourself (you don't have to lower yourself fully).

The lat pulldown machine in the gym works the same muscles.
    Just for reference, anyone and everyone that might look at this.

I do not know gym terminology, i rarely if at all use them :P
    This is a lat pulldown machine...

m-905-lat-pull-down.jpg
    I do like the stumptuous article on how to achieve a pull up

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=51
    Here are a few exercises you can do:

Pull ups

This is when you grab the bar above you and you pull yourself up towards it. For variations, grab the bar with a (1) pronated grip (overhand), and (2) supinated grip (underhand). For more variations, you can grab the bar with either a narrow, shoulder or wide width. If you are using a machine, change the handle bars with the neutral grip (palms face inwards or towards each other).

Pull over

This is when you lie on the bench lengthwise with your head just at the edge. Carry a dumbbell with your dominant hand (right if you're right handed) first grabbing the bar and with the second hand around the first. Hold the weight above your chest and slowly lower past your head in an arching motion until your biceps are next to your ears. Then slowly lift it back to the original position. Keep your elbows slightly bent and keep it throughout the motion.

Basically these work the upper back so do other exercises that work that part of the body. In addition, it is ideal to work the opposing muscle groups. I will not go into now. Perhaps later.

These are the exercises I do and it has increased my strength very much. I hope this proves useful.
    MrG wrote: »
    Ok guys, my second interview went really well, Im likely to be going onto the 2 day selection course before the end of august, while there is always room for improvement in all aspects of fitness that we do, theres only one thing that is starting to worry me a little.

PULL UPS

Obviously the best way to improve on numbers is practice practice practice, but to vary things around, are there any other exercises you can do that exercise the same or some of the same muscle groups, so i can vary it around a little.

Im ok with them, just i know i can be better.

It doesn't get much better than pull-ups and chin-ups. I've done the lat-pulldown before and numerous other back exercises with free weights (single arm dumbbell row, standing row etc.) but pull-ups (palm of your hands facing outward) are the best exercise for your back muscles and arms. Chin-ups (palm facing inwards) focus work more your arms than your back. Try and do 3 sets of 10 alterning between pull-up and chin-up.
    emilio87 wrote: »
    It doesn't get much better than pull-ups and chin-ups. I've done the lat-pulldown before and numerous other back exercises with free weights (single arm dumbbell row, standing row etc.) but pull-ups (palm of your hands facing outward) are the best exercise for your back muscles and arms. Chin-ups (palm facing inwards) focus work more your arms than your back. Try and do 3 sets of 10 alterning between pull-up and chin-up.

Change the terms 'Outward' and 'Inwards' to 'Facing away from you' and 'Facing towards you' and it's a bit clearer, or people may try working out with their hands in some rather strange positions...!!
    when doing pull ups, it is better for increasing your strength to use a chin bar rather than the machine because you cannot cheat by using your weight to pull down the weight.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I do like the stumptuous article on how to achieve a pull up

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=51

Good article, it almost makes me tempted to learn to do these except for the fact I am a weed. My ex-boyfriend was an army soldier, he used to practice his pull ups on the door frame with his five year old sister 'riding on his feet' and holding his legs if that makes sense. Not sure if that's actually good for the body but his sister definately loved that game and it was fun to watch. Not sure how much the door frame liked that either actually. Lol.