Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Netgear Routers / Internet Speed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I'm going speed crazy at the moment.

After removing the faceplate off the master BT socket my internet speeds increased!

Before:
testbefore.jpg

After:
testafter.jpg

Just to sum that up, I'm going to buy a new faceplate with a build in microfilter that cuts down the amount of wires and distance everything travels in! :cool:

Now i've just got £40 worth of Argos vouchers and I'm looking into getting a new router (Now I'm on sky but I direct the internet to another router at the moment)

Argos link

So I saw this one - But I'm unsure on wether to go for this exact model!

Opinions please :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it a steady rise in speed, rather than just normal variations in the sync speed?

You can alternatively buy twisted telephone cable, which cuts out interference more than untwisted wire.

The netgear routers work well. Would you rather have a router and a separate modem, or a router with a built-in modem? I think the latter would be easier, e.g. this one.
    Well for the first hour and that it was good, Just ran a test and heres the results...

testhourslater.jpg

Not a huge increase in speed - But it's peak time for the exchange ey?

The router looks fab - But I'm on sky and can only use 'there' router but I've heard that you can 'hack' the firmware for it to work but i'm not sure wether this is a good idea or not.

Plus to top it off the phone line is in the living room and most of the network-able devices are located in the office which has a wire running from the router next to the phone line into the other router.

It's mainly about increasing network speeds and the max speed of the network :) Because the sky router is a max of 108mbps!
    See what happens when you plug straight into the test socket behind the faceplate.
    That's what im using now...?

29072008262.jpg
    CoolMe wrote: »
    That's what im using now...?
    Yes that's the test socket.

You can also remove what's called the 'ring wire', if necessary, to reduce the effect of interference. Only do it if you're confident though!

And try swapping the filter to check it's working properly.
    I've got no more filters left to swap :(

I've already gone through 2 out of the 3 sky sent with the start up package :D

I'm not keen on the idea of messing with the wire so i'll grab this faceplate if I can and see how that goes. :)

EDIT

And if anyone wants to know what else im doing see:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=27767