Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fed up with nostalgia culture

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everywhere I look I seem to see things being dredged up from the 80s and 90s and revived for the 21st Century. Gladiators, Take That, The Spice Girls, new rave, Indiana Jones, Rambo, Rocky... There even talking about shooting a sequel to Top Gun with Cruise as a fighter pilot instructor! Most if not all of these things never capture their original essence and seem to be aimed at people who refuse to grow up/discover new stuff.

Sure remembering things from my E number fuelled childhood is fun, but I think it's best left as a memory rather than anything else. No matter how you paint it, seeing people struggle to recapture their former glory is just uncomfortable. I went to see The Rolling Stones a couple of years ago with my parents and as much as it was a thrill to hear them live, it just didn't have the right vibe. Whether it was because I saw the ever smirking Steve McLaren by the bar with his wife or the sheer number of overweight grandfathers clumsily swaying to the music, I couldn't help but feel like the context was all wrong- this wasn't Jagger, Richards et al. in their pulsing prime but a rather deflated, dispirited band going through the motions.

So if we can't look backwards where else can we look? Well I think the best things that spring forth in our culture come from a new source, a daring vision of something bold and fresh. This doesn't mean to say that artists etc. can not borrow from the past, but they must exercise caution and create something that can have new meaning.

So just seeing what everyone thinks really. Feel free to suggest things which have successfully been revived from the past/disagree with me entirely/commend my argument. :)

Comments

• Options
    Gladiators was wonderful!
  • Options
    I love all things 80's and 90's. We had the best music, the best t-shirst (hyper colour anyone?) and the movies/video games lol.
    That said I don't dwell.
  • Options
    Simple solution: don't go to shit cinemas, pick your film choices exclusively from the shortlist for Cannes and Sundance, and only watch bands that have actually released an album in the past 10 years. Everything will be original then.
  • Options
    Wasn't this the same for our parents' generation with 60s and 70s revival stuff, and their parents' before them? Or is this a new phenomenon?
  • Options
    Wasn't this the same for our parents' generation with 60s and 70s revival stuff, and their parents' before them? Or is this a new phenomenon?

Don't be ridiculous. You should know by now, our parents' generation invented everything.
  • Options
    Simple solution: don't go to shit cinemas, pick your film choices exclusively from the shortlist for Cannes and Sundance, and only watch bands that have actually released an album in the past 10 years. Everything will be original then.

Haha good point.
  • Options
    i dont think going to see things like the rolling stones is trying to re-capture former glory, its just people enjoying a particular band. I love loads of old music. Im not being nostalgic, i just like it.
    Stuff doesnt just become not good anymore just because its not brand new.
  • Options
    There have always been remakes (Alfred Hitchcock remade one of his own films) and sequels, but I do reckon that there is some sort of phase of remaking 80's stuff. Usually TV shows get made into films roughly around the same time they're on the air. The thing is that one 80's remake was successful, I think (Dukes of Hazzard) and so they decided to do them all. I'm surprised Thundercats hasn't been done yet. But that's all Hollywood has ever done. We had a western phase, a musical phase, both of which stopped making money, and we're currently having another musical phase.
  • Options
    Nostalgia

I agree that there's too much nostalgia around. Sure, there's stuff I enjoy from the 70s 80s and 90s, occasionally I enjoy remembering the fun times from those days. The problem with too much of it is you risk missing today's stuff. Music particularly tend to be a reaction to the times it was made in and just isn't the same in different times. Todays stuff is unfamiliar and so is less accessible unless you make an effort.

As far as bands and films are concerned the agents and companies with the licenses are cashing in on the opportunity to make more money from known names that will get some sales on familiarity alone. And a number of rock stars suddenly discover they've become (relatively) skint after not working for a few years and some aren't qualified to do anything else.

Having said that I would consider St Trinians to be the best revival of an old film (not the best film, but the best revival) very true to the spirit of the original with a modern feel - that probably depends on whether you liked St Trinians films in the first place though!
  • Options
    Music is the first thing that comes to mind for me. Most of you know that I listen mainly to dance music, specifically house. No matter how you look at it, house is a direct descendent of disco. For years, I was slightly embarrassed to listen to music that probably would never have come about without Abba and The Bee Gees. Nowadays however, I simply don't care. House music used to take most of its influences from the 1970s until recently. The electro sound currently dominating dance music, (and leaking into other genres too) has its roots in the 1980s. Who'd have thought music from the likes of Eurythmics would make a comeback? I've also lost count of the number of tracks that borrow from old computer games. I think my mum phrased it best when she said "you've only got a certain number of notes and sounds available, no matter what type of music you're into. Everything's going to get done more than once."

People will always hark back to the past for reasons beneficial to themselves. If you go back long enough, you'll find a time when smoking was good for you. :p
  • Options
    Things arguably go round in cycles. You look styles that are popular now, for example the indie skinny jeans skinny tie look. That was last doing the rounds in the 1980s. In terms of music every band is influenced by another band, so of course they're going to sound similar. When i first heard Honest Mistake by The Bravery on the radio i thought it was a track from the 1980s.
  • Options
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Things arguably go round in cycles. You look styles that are popular now, for example the indie skinny jeans skinny tie look. That was last doing the rounds in the 1980s. In terms of music every band is influenced by another band, so of course they're going to sound similar. When i first heard Honest Mistake by The Bravery on the radio i thought it was a track from the 1980s.

Hmmm not sure I do think there are bands that come along and completely reinvent the wheel with little influence from other bands.
  • Options
    nostalgia culture just isn't what it used to be

*sigh*
  • Options
    I love the way things seem to come full circle. I guess and example would be Amy Winehouse, Duffy etc. 'Old voices'. I think it's great.
  • Options
    Nostalgia has and always will be around. In the 90's, we had 80's nights. Roll on 10 years, we now have 90's nights. Roll on 10 more years, we will get 00's nights.

To this very day, I search eBay for CD albums from 90's artists, and I'm considering getting CD's of what I already had on tapes. I watched very little TV and continue not to have a TV, but I was a Glad-addict as well.

My favourite year was 1995. Not just for music but for everything :-) And no, that doesn't include the Blur vs Oasis crap!
  • Options
    Doctor who!
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    nostalgia culture just isn't what it used to be

*sigh*
    lol.
  • Options
    So if we can't look backwards where else can we look? Well I think the best things that spring forth in our culture come from a new source, a daring vision of something bold and fresh. This doesn't mean to say that artists etc. can not borrow from the past, but they must exercise caution and create something that can have new meaning.

. :)

You have to look backwards for inspiration,
    unless of course you can see into the future.

Every kind of entertainment i can think of
    has a foundation in the past.

Show me something new.
  • Options
    About old bands, I went to see Fairport Convention a couple of years ago. This is a band that produced some amazing stuff in the '60s and '70s, but now they are old and tired. Their performance on stage was below par to say the least. The album they had just released at the time - The wood and the wire - was nothing to write home about either.

As for hollywood remakes, one of the worst films I ever saw was Thomas and the magic railroad, which was downright blasphemy! I mean did the producers even read any of the books (or watch the original TV programs)?
  • Options
    You have to look backwards for inspiration,
    unless of course you can see into the future.

Every kind of entertainment i can think of
    has a foundation in the past.

Show me something new.

punk in 1976/7?
  • Options
    punk in 1976/7?

Even that had its orgins elsewhere. It still has its roots in rock and rolll
  • Options
    punk in 1976/7?

Blues chords rock rythms ....where were you?
  • Options
    punk in 1976/7?

New York Dolls - most early punks cited them as influences.

To leave music aside for a moment it occured to me the other night that one reason for the rise in nostalgia at the moment (yes, its always been with us, but there is more of it about at the moment) is that we now have masses of TV channels plus DVDs and downloads. In the days of three or four TV channels and going to the cinema to see films, there simply wasn't the amount of airtime to be filled. Programmers have to fill their schedules with something so they use old programmes. There's probably more new stuff about these days than, say, 20 years ago but there's masses more channels to be filled.

If we agree with the theory of the late great Douglas Adams that commercial television is not in the business of supplying programmes to its audiences, it's in the business of supplying audiences to its advertisers, then the impetus for putting on familiar, nostalgic shows that they know a big proportion of people will eagerly watch - rather than new content that may flop and has an unknown demographic - makes sense.
  • Options
    flynn wrote: »
    New York Dolls - most early punks cited them as influences.

To leave music aside for a moment it occured to me the other night that one reason for the rise in nostalgia at the moment (yes, its always been with us, but there is more of it about at the moment) is that we now have masses of TV channels plus DVDs and downloads. In the days of three or four TV channels and going to the cinema to see films, there simply wasn't the amount of airtime to be filled. Programmers have to fill their schedules with something so they use old programmes. There's probably more new stuff about these days than, say, 20 years ago but there's masses more channels to be filled.

If we agree with the theory of the late great Douglas Adams that commercial television is not in the business of supplying programmes to its audiences, it's in the business of supplying audiences to its advertisers, then the impetus for putting on familiar, nostalgic shows that they know a big proportion of people will eagerly watch - rather than new content that may flop and has an unknown demographic - makes sense.

makes much sense.