Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Patient neglect?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, I don't know whether this should be health, or law ...

But basically, I have private dental care, and last week I cracked a tooth which holds a filling. I could feel it hurting, but was feeling well enough to hold out 1.5 weeks for their "emergency" appointment. (This isn't too important)

Now, I have a heart condition, which means before any surgery (dental or otherwise), I am supposed to have antibiotics to make sure infections are kept to a minimum. This has been on record with this dental studio since birth. I informed them of the situation when I made the appointment.

Today I called them to ask when I can pick up the antibiotics as I would more than likely be having a procedure done on my tooth tomorrow (re-filled or otherwise), and I was told that it was no longer policy to administer them, or even prescribe them.

Is this patient neglect? They even failed to inform me prior to my appointment (tomorrow) so I couldn't make other arrangements (with a doc for example).

Yes, I will be leaving this dental surgery once they have fixed me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When did you last have antibiotic cover for dental work? You are right in that guidelines used to say that people with certain heart problems should have antibiotic cover for almost all dental work.

Guidelines have changed relatively recently and it's now thought that unless you are dealing with infection rather than standard 'clean' dental work that taking downsides now outweight the benefits.

Overuse of antibiotics can have an effect on your immune system and can make you more likely to develop antibiotic resistant infections (superbugs). It's with this in mind that the guidelines have changed, they still get prescribed for procedures where there is a raised risk of infection but not otherwise.

Does that make sense?
    It does make sense - and I understand this - although on my last visit (3 months ago), I was told I still needed antibiotic cover for any treatment.

Coupled with the fact I am annoyed with the handling of the situation by the dentist surgery I guess - a week and a half wait for an emergency appointment for a private patient is just terrible.

Thanks for the reply though :)
    A week and a half for an emergency appointment isn't exactly what I'd call impressive, and I'm very surprised it took that long if you told them you were in pain.

If you're concerned, talk to them about the antibiotics before they do anything, but like I said it's a pretty recent change.
    Found and downloaded both the NHS and private guidelines, and I am in the higher risk category - so have just quoted it to them down the phone and I am now the proud owner of Antibiotics :lol:

I love being annoying. They should have checked when they booked me in whether I was high risk. And don't frikken argue with me when I know my situation, bitchy receptionist! :P

Thanks again Scary Monster!