Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The reason people don't like Vista

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is because generally, they have a poor perception of what it actually is.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html?tag=bl

"REDMOND, Wash.--After months of searching for ways to defend its oft-maligned Windows operating system, Microsoft may just have found its best weapon: Vista's skeptics.

Spurred by an e-mail from someone deep in the marketing ranks, Microsoft last week traveled to San Francisco, rounding up Windows XP users who had negative impressions of Vista. The subjects were put on video, asked about their Vista impressions, and then shown a "new" operating system, code-named Mojave. More than 90 percent gave positive feedback on what they saw. Then they were told that "Mojave" was actually Windows Vista.
"

Food for thought. Thing is, it's like with anything, people get a sheep mentality. They follow the crowd, because it's 'cool'. Like, an iPod is 'cool', so people buy them. Microsoft is 'evil', and so the new Windows must be crap. But from my experience the majority of people have never even tried it!

I know there are a few who say 'I have to use it in work, and really preferred XP' and that's completely fair, so I'm not saying that everyone who hates Vista is wrong, that would be completely obtuse of me. But the majority of those who hate Vista (and hate is such a strong word, for something as petty as an operating system) that I have come across, have not actually used it. I remember as a child making my mind up about some food before I had actually tried it, same thing exactly.

To me, there was only one way of looking at Vista. It's just a tool, really. But it's been developed from XP. They've taken all the best bits from that operating system, and developed it to try to make it even better. Things people said was better about things like Mac OS X / linux they implement in, all the new developments in the techy side get added in, basically it becomes a XP reloaded.

But it's very easy to just bash anything that comes out of Microsoft as rubbish, because it's Microsoft, and everyone knows Microsoft is evil...

I don't think people should just switch to Vista from XP - if it does what you want it to fair enough. But people who are getting new computers and demand it has XP on because Vista is awful make me groan. You can make it act completely like XP if you want. You just need to turn off all the features that most people find are actually very useful.

Comments

• Options
    spider solitaire is much harder on the new vista
  • Options
    I wasn't connected to the internet for the first month or so of owning my laptop and it was a pain in the arse. It crashed constantly. But I connected it to the internet, downloaded about a million updates, and it hasn't crashed since. I don't get how anyone can feel passionate either way about an operating system or an internet browser. It's not as if there's enough to actually change to make it a problem learning the new one. But I still think it's always good advice with a new OS not to upgrade straight away.

Now Office 2007 on the other hand is the devil incarnate. You can't take something like that, where your entire job depends on it, and change the layout as fundamentally as that. I've only just got the the stage where every other phone call isn't a member of staff asking where certain features are.
  • Options
    ^^ Suzy, Haha

But yeah, I agree with the OP.

It is like food - Someone offers you a food you've not eaten but heard about - No, I don't like that.

Question = WHY?

:) Yay for vistaness. But saying that, some people are very set in there own ways and don't like change. Specialy when its being forced upon some people.

But oh well! That's life :) You either move with technology or get left behind! :D
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    But oh well! That's life :) You either move with technology or get left behind! :D

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with XP at all. Just people seem to have an irrational fear of Vista :confused:.
  • Options
    Oh there's nothing wrong with it - I love it to bits :) It's smoother on a more modern machine where as vista runs nicely.

If you know what I mean :P
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I'm not a fan of Vista, mum has it on her laptop... I just can't really get on with it =\
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    ... I just can't really get on with it =\

When you say that, I say why :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Now Office 2007 on the other hand is the devil incarnate. You can't take something like that, where your entire job depends on it, and change the layout as fundamentally as that. I've only just got the the stage where every other phone call isn't a member of staff asking where certain features are.

Office 2007 gives me nightmares at night.
  • Options
    I have to stop replying so fast! :(

I have 03 + 07 because I'm a power user! (laughs)
  • Options
    But Vista is a pain in the arse. It's sluggish and bloated, installing software is problematic compared to earlier versions. It constantly asks whether I wish to run programmes I've clicked on.

I must have used it for a whole 15 minutes, so I'm far from being well-educated when it comes to Vista. But my impressions are that it's a bodged-together piece of software, released without many of the initially-mentioned features, released before it was ready to ensure a continuation of the lining of MS pockets.

Seriously, having to click "run" or "ok" a half dozen times for my graphics-card software to load at boot is enough to put anyone off. XP was good, in a lot of ways. Vista is a bad-attempt at bringing some much-needed security to an OS that desperately needed it.

Rather than encumbering users with the constant "Run/Quit/Cancel" nonsense, they should have taken it back to design and allowed only the administrator to install software, but for any user to run any installed software.

Unix is ten-leagues ahead on that count.

Vista = XP + EyeCandy + MassAnnoyances.
    Vista != WorthwhileUpgrade.
  • Options
    Just turn UAC off if it annoys you then => XP + new useful in built functionality. Plenty of people will probably (I haven't done any surveys myself, but I'm taking a shot in the dark) appreciate the protection it gives them. After their computer is set up, they can go about doing what they like. If they want to do something a bit different, a prompt comes up. I'm well aware it has its flaws, that's why I turned it off :p

But I assure you there was far more tweaking to be done with XP. Vista just has the two significant UAC annoyances for me as someone who does a heck of a lot of system changes requiring administrative priveledges, and the max half open concurrent connections limit to prevent spiders or something.

As you said though, I don't know whether it's worth upgrading. But when getting a new system, the people who don't want Vista are effectively luddites. They like the comfort of XP, the sense of security because it's not new. But Vista does everything. The reason it has had driver and application problems is because driver and application developers couldn't be bothered to write drivers.

Same reason directx10, despite being a brilliant API, is still horrendous on performance. Why would nvidia or ATI put all their resources in making amazing DX10 drivers when 90% of their customers only ever use DX9 accelleration. It seems Microsoft were trying to push forward the boundaries of technology (not completely because they're nice, lets face it they make a lot of money from new tech) and turned round to see they'd jumped in the lake and the developers were still standing on the shore dipping their toes to see how warm the water was.

You know a fair bit about computers so know about systems life cycles, inevitably Vista will have a later expiry date than XP, so if you are buying a new system -today-, why would anyone buy the one that runs out of steam first?

edit: also agreed on the point that unix has administrator priveledges etc. supporting right from the bottom, but then that was designed to be a network / multi user operating system, windows in some ways has been just refined as a single user operating system from its inception to now. It's still probably the best all round operating system out there though, ticking all the right boxes for the average consumer. Businesses all have different needs and will need to evaluate whats best for them, and people who buy macs... well they have that self esteem need to fulfill according to maslow ;)
  • Options
    I'm so out of touch with tech these days, it's not funny mate :). Back in 1997-2003, I was on-the-ball and knew a lot about a lot, and with a good degree of certainty. I could do everything, from making custom pre-installs(this was a big issue back with Win95 and no internet access for most users), through to replacing SMT components on boards. Back then, there was still money in repairing things... not so much the throw-away culture we now have with IT.

These days, I'm so far out of the loop... I've just upgraded from my XP1700+ to a 2.8ghz Celeron D, but I've pinmodded the voltage down to reduce heat output. Anything that works sticks with me for a long time... it's questionable what most people need from a computer or OS - the chances are it could be adequately covered with 20% of what is currently possible.

I tend to take the view that progress and complication is thrust upon users for the sake of progress and complication.

Maybe I should Google up on UAC... maybe then Windows Vista would have more than a 15-minute lifespan with me :). But aside from that, it's just foreign to me these days. Linux is very simple and very familiar now, after a few years use.
  • Options
    I've tried using linux a few times, it is good, but so far pretty difficult to get set up just right. And then of course, I get my command and conquer pang...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    tbh, the reasons I don't "like" vista are:

1)Viruses, spyware etc (same with xp)
    2)Even more spyware in vista itself (it sends info about your actions to microsoft, and some say the fbi)
    3)There's a line where "user-friendliness" becomes "most-user-friendliness, some-users-unfriendliness", and I believe vista has crossed it. The problems I had setting up my wifi is a prime example.

As you can tell, I didn't need to try vista to know about 1 and 2. Other than these points, so far I do like it better than xp (but I've not used it very much tbh).
  • Options
    I got it on a new machine, and after an afternoon, i like it.
  • Options
    Vista FTW