Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

capsules

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am currently on some meds that comein capsules.

do you need the capsules?

does it matter if you take them apart and put powder in a drink instead? i have trouble swallowing tablets.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think the capsules are to keep it all together until it gets to your stomach and dissolves and is absorbed into your body there.. so the it doesn't dissolve too early, if you see what I mean. Not sure if "too early" is dangerous or just less effective.
    It depends on what medication it is. Some capsules are 'extended release' and are made to release the drug slowly over time.
    I have been prescribed the biggest most massivest capsules in the WORLD before and I asked the doctor at the time if I was able to take them apart and drink instead. She said yes but like others have suggested it could just be down to what the medication is.

Perhaps google it or ring your GP.

On the other hand - if they're too big for you to swallow and you just definatly can't swallow them then surely it's worth taking them apart and drinking instead of just not taking them altogether? Can't do any harm I wouldn't have thought.

Whoever came up with the concept of sticking some powder in a big fucking plastic thing needs shooting. Everything should be in calpol form. :razz:
    It should say in the little leaflet "Do not crush or chew" etc. If you're not supposed to.
    most people find capsules easier to swallow than a tablet.
    Some can be opened, a lot cannot. If you really cant take it then go back to your gp and see if they can change it to liquid form if there is one, but i would assume its better to start your treatment rather than delay it.
    What drug is it?