Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Internet Stalking - Help Please?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ya fuckin moonboot
    Hmmm, I'm in two minds really. If I was being 'stalked' on the internet, would I post, publicly, in a place where I had indicated the stalkers were active? I guess what I'm getting at is this thread seems - pragmatically - pointless. So perhaps there is an ulterior motive for posting. But that's just idle speculation on my part.

Melian, you know the answer. Speak to the mods. It's their job. Public internet is the public internet. Anything you post may be used against you, etc. It's very easy to make up a fake name and other details, and I don't believe you at all when you say you need to give so many details that are being traced back to you.

If it doesn't work, just stop using these forums you're being harassed on. I've been here for a looong time and I know that the mods always protect people. There have been cases of people 'starting' little flame wars and the mods have defended them, because the mods here will always stand up for the little guy - even if they had it coming. (I'm sure he knows who he is :p)

I can't imagine other big forums would be very different, they have to appear reasonably competent and such.

Anyway, as I said, the mods look after the little guy, so I don't think airing my idle speculation will be particularly constructive, but you're clever so you know what I'm getting at.
    Righty ho - I'm in a total curfuffle figuring this one out but I'll state it as clearly as I think I can then go from there.

Firstly there is a difference between abusive behaviour on a board and stalking and there's a difference between frustration and deliberate attacks on a person.

Now people use more than one message board - MSE is a bloody popular site so they are likely to be intrigued when they see some identical posted in more than one place. People can also, naturally, draw on the comments from one board when replying to another. It's not exactly good manners but it's an easy mistake to make. That doesn't really mean the same thing as stalking, which implies a deliberate pursuit of another person with unpleasant intentions.

It seems here that overall what's happened is that some people have been acting in a way that you've interpreted, perhaps rightly, perhaps not, as stalking. It certainly doesn't seem that there's any long standing users here who have been stalking you - and I think that's been compounded by the reaction to your threads - which doesn't seem to have been what you were looking for.

Now there may be good reasons, from previous experience seperate to this, that you would be really worried about stalking or people tracking you through the internet but I'm wary of seeing it this way on here without some really clear evidence of people being abusive rather than just happening upon similar posts or being intrigued by the coincidence.

Now the post by the new user that was here has obviously compounded this but they've asked for their post here to be removed - clearly they were frustrated by something that's happened on another website and posted about it here. What happens elsewhere can not be out concern, we only have responsibility for this website.

However, none of their other posts have been related to this issue so I'm going to do what they asked and remove the posts in this thread and the posts quoting it. Obviously any evidence of stalking would be delt with much more strongly but for now I'd rather put it down to frustration and don't want people's reactions to a new user coloured by a poorly chosen first post.

Now if the situation on this website is worse than this then please let me know, of if I've missed anything. But we can only deal with this website, not with others. I'd also ask everyone to put a lid on their frustration if they can and bear in mind that giving good or correct advice doesn't mean that it will necessarily be taken on board, or at least not taken on board immediately. Hopefully calmer minds can prevail and we can move past this.

cheers all
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Jim V wrote: »
    Righty ho

Aren't you still on holiday??! ;)
    Why don't you simply register under a different username?

God knows, I would be Grade A Boned if they discovered me to be BigDaddyRich4U in disguise.
    I use the name Stargalaxy on at least three different message boards. I'm open about that fact, and I do it for the simple reason I can't be bothered remembering countless aliases. If people on a different forum had nothing better to do than check my comments and posts on this one, they are the ones with the problem. Personally, I think they should call for the men in white coats, but there we go.