Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What Band has had the most impact on you?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What band or composer has had the most influence on you?

Neutral Milk Hotel for me.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not really had a band that has impacted on me, but The Strokes latest album had some tunes that really said a lot about my life so far.
  • Options
    NMH are a quality band, i doubt there will ever be an "indie" album as good as In The Aeroplane Over The Sea again. beautiful lyrics, imagery, perfect album. if you haven't already, get the 33 1/3 book about it, they should be cheap if you get it off a seller on amazon.

Personally tho, Sonic Youth do it for me. having a 20-odd year career and the newer albums still sounding fresh and relevant, breaking boundaries, redefining alternative music and guitars etc...
  • Options
    Weezer, The Who, Metallica, Sabbath. Quite a few really.
  • Options
    The Offspring and Fall out boy are my two favourite bands ever, I couldnt choose.
  • Options
    I was just about to say Offspring, I love their new album.
    Tatu has made an impact in my life, thanks to them being Russian I just started digging in the history, travelling possiabilties, and the language, I love Russia.
  • Options
    the smiths
  • Options
    I dont think one has an impact on me now... but when i was very little man i loved the spice girls and followed all that girl power crap hahaha (happy times)
  • Options
    I have grown up with Queen. I assosiate many memories with Queen and I "feel" their music haha. Don't know how I would say they have influenced me as such but they played a big part of my childhood.
  • Options
    I'd agree with Queen.

And My Chemical Romance for me
  • Options
    The bands I grew up hearing in my house which probably had a big effect on what I mostly listen to now would probably be Queen, Led Zeppelin, Stone Roses, Free.

I don't really like Free.

Cliff Richard had a massive impact in the sense that I learnt at an early age never to listen to him or anyone remotely associated as soon as I had my own tape player. Or ever again for that matter.
  • Options
    actually i think id say frank zappa and santana as well
  • Options
    Rod Stewart! :)
  • Options
    Jimi Hendrix from when my mum used to play it to me as a kid.

Radiohead from when I listened to it as a grown up (well, grown up is a bit of a stretch).
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    "Sting . . . . The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that." - Hansel

Sorry, I had to put this in here . . .
  • Options
    The Libertines.

I found them at a major time of change in my life, the messages and ideals and principles that they expressed in their music and otherwise had a massive impact on me.

I'd kind of got bored of pop and the boy bands i had been into as a preteen and was drifitng in the middle ground, RHCP, Pink, that kind of stuff.. and they just really spoke to me, excited me. I knew nothing about them when i first heard their music, i just heard Dont look back into the Sun randomly on the radio in like.. late 2004 maybe? and that was it.

Following them and other bands i discovered because of them, and the excitement about music they gave me pretty much shaped my social life for the next couple of years, meant i made the friendships i did that are still really important to me. Just because of the music there are so many other things i discovered and starting doing. I started volunteering for an anti-racism organisation because Pete was playing a massive gig for them in Trafalgar square, phoned up for more information and accidently ended up working for them on the day, 3 years on I still do. :)

yeah... :p

Other than them, the music my parents listened to and brought me up on.. Sabbath, Led Zepplin, BB King, Pink Floyd.. a million others.
  • Options
    C Funk wrote: »
    "Sting . . . . The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that." - Hansel

Sorry, I had to put this in here . . .

Sting :heart::heart:

I remember being in the back of the car when we lived down south and going "the special way home" which meant we drove through the village where Sting lived/owned loads of houses.

To this day I really love sting. His music and lyrics are great.
  • Options
    Very hard to choose one single band.

The Smiths, Oasis, Stone Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, all sorts really at different stages of my life.
  • Options
    It has to be The Jam.

I didn't really grow up with them, but when I heard Going Underground on Kerrang or some other music channel a few years ago, I think it changed me for good. It was catchy, short and to the point and lyrics such as "Some people might say my life is in a rut/But I'm quite happy with what I've got" and "You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and gund, and the public wants what the public gets...." just made me stop and think about society, politics, everything.
    I knew I had a new outlook on life and a very altered attitude by the time Weller belted out "Those braying sheep on my TV screen - Make this boy shout! Make this boy scream!"

Then I heard That's Entertainment, and I related to much of the lyrical imagery... "A police car and a screaming siren/Pneumatic drill and ripped up concrete..." and "Days of speed and slow time Mondays/Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday"

I dipped further into the back catalogue from there, and I thought that Weller's tunes were like a soundtrack about my life. in particular, Songs like Saturday's Kids and Thick as Thieves remind me of old schoolmates, Wasteland and Town Called Malice could have been written about Bradford, Mr Clean reminds me of the class envy I saw in my working class upbringing, and yet Weller could write romantically too! Fly reminds me of my girlfriend really.

When Your Young especially clicked with me as I was ending my teenage years, wiht one of my favourite all-time lyrics ("Then you find out life isn't like that, it's so hard to undersand why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam/It's got you in its grip bfore you're born, it's done wiht the use of a dice and a board/They let you think you're king but you're really a pawn..."). I could go on....
  • Options
    Gotta be Isis.
  • Options
    there are loads i could mention really.

coldplay, mainly the 'rush of blood to the head' album, meant a lot to me during a very dark time in my life when i used to listen to them and understand what was being sung, like i lived with the songs and felt them.

incubus, 'make yourself' is an album that i've never tired of and it reminds me of a time when i decided to try to conquor an illness instead of living with it. also, 'stellar' was mine and my ex-boyfriend's special song so it will always mean something to me.

the beatles, they will always remind me of fun days out with my mum. i keep finding new tracks of theirs that i love. they have been influential because their music reminds me of so many things and has often been my 'happy music'. also links to my love of 'imagine', which made lennon a hero to me.

bob marley, a legend, i think his music opened my eyes to a whole new style of music that i didn't know i liked.

the used, their song 'the taste of ink' was like the anthem of my recovery and it's a song i listen to everytime i feel like i'm slipping up.

there are lots more :yes:
  • Options
    As well as The Jam, I'd say some of Weller's other work has impacted me a lot too, Style Council or solo. Headstart for Happiness always cheers me up somehow, and The changingman juts sums up my life as I've grown and gone through the years. I'm only 21, but even so, we all change and go through man things in that time!

Another one is The Stone Roses, but I don't quite know how to be honest. Jiust listening to the intro of Waterfall weirdly makes me think I'm about 5 again for some reason, but I guess they must have been really big around that time!
  • Options
    Radiohead, probably, although it's not an answer I can give lightly. Radiohead's music kept me going through a lot, they were the band I loved when I was 17, and I think they've had the most impact.

That said, I am loving Bellowhead these days too.
  • Options
    Jamie LJamie L Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    For me it's mostly Queen, The Who and Coldplay.

Grew up with the first two... and now Coldplay.

J
  • Options
    Weezer, the Beatles, Elton John. the New Radicals and Joanna Newsom so far.
  • Options
    Crowded House, first and foremost. Their lyrics help teach me how to understand poetry and their songs link with so many memories of my childhood and spending time with my friends, growing up and changing.

Other bands I could mention...Incubus, Rage Against The Machine, Fat Freddy's Drop, Groove Armada and my boyfriend's old band :blush: They were a live dance/drum & bass band...they inspired my current love of live dance music and helped me broaden my music tastes. Some of their songs remind me of really key points in my relationship with my boyfriend too...not always happy things, but moments I learnt from.
  • Options
    the smiths/ whilst wham and spandau were pretending to be pirates/ morrissey brought reality and lyricism to songs that could either ,ake you laugh or cry, depending on ur mood
  • Options
    Korn, Oasis and Eminem.
  • Options
    Good shout on Neutral Milk Hotel.

I'd also go for Radiohead, of Montreal and The Kinks.