Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Global warming hypocrisy.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The title of my thread says it all. Why are westerners so hypocritical about global warming? The phenomenon has existed for a very long time and was accentuated by us Westerners from the industrial revolution onwards. The United States is still the country that emits the most amount of CO2 on a yearly basis and 7 out of 10 of the most polluting countries in the world are "Western" and "developped" countries. ( http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/env_co2_emi-environment-co2-emissions) And yet, we blame countries like China and India for the pollution they cause with their "uncontrolled" socio-economic and industrial growth...
Why is it that it's not OK for these countries to pollute during their development process, but it was OK for the USA and other Western countries to pollute when they needed it? I'm beginning to think there are huge double standards in western societies when it comes to the environment. This is also reflected in the way for example Iran is being treated for their quest of Nuclear power. Does every sovereign nation not have the right to have access to technology? Is technology only reserved for "developped" and "civilised" countries? Even if they wanted it for a nuclear weapon, I would still say they have every right to have it. If Israel have it and the world's biggest rogue state, the United States have it, then so should Iran.
My point is that the West has always been hypocritical when it comes to the development of non-Western countries, who only have the right to do things the way the West wants them to be done.

Comments

• Options
    Basically the west didn't have the technology or knowledge we have now when we industrialised. Since cleaner technology is now available, it only makes sense that countries like China and India are given incentives to use it, rather than developing the old dirty route that we did.

That's not to say that the policies of western countries aren't a tad hypocrticial at times, but I think that the environmental issue is simply a case of changing our policy to fit in with new knowledge, and since they're all willing to make the same changes themselves, I don't think it's hypocritical to expect developing countries to do the same with our help.
  • Options
    "The phenonomenon" hasn't "existed" in human understanding "for a very long time." If "anthropomorphic global warming" exists -which it most probably does - mainstream scientific understanding of the issue lagged behind our technological capital investment. Hence we industrialized rapidly and recklessly and this introduced a pretty dismal model for modernization for other nations. Now, we are used to high carbon living standards and blame "competing" developing countries for any extra rise in emissions; despite our open transfer of labour costs (and industry) to such countries.
  • Options
    You could say the same of other things, such as nuclear weapons for instance.

'Do as I say, not as I do'. That has always been the premise of the powerful.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    You could say the same of other things, such as nuclear weapons for instance.

'Do as I say, not as I do'. That has always been the premise of the powerful.

It doesn't make it any more acceptable.
  • Options
    When we went through our industrial revolution it was out of necessity. Over the decades we've developed the clean technology and are using it. China, India e.t.c. have the same access to that technology but have decided not to use it.
  • Options
    Yes, and we in the West have the means and technology to make and drive economical cars, yet many continue to be selfish wankers who feel it is their 'right' to drive gas guzzling monster trucks, probably to counteract their small-dick complex.

We also choose to have fruit and vegetable flown from thousands of miles away, because we've decided if we want to enjoy some produce out of season, we'll damn well do so!

And of course we will choose to fly to destinations 200 miles away because we 'don't do' trains.

And in any case, many Western nations have refused to introduce compulsory improvements for their coal-fired power industries in the all too familiar cry of 'protecting our economic interests' and blah blah.

So yes, I think we have very little right to lecture developing nations (nations that have real issues of poverty to deal with) about environmental issues when we continue to act like spoilt brats.
  • Options
    In the long term cleaner is normally cheaper, but there are massive start-up costs which poorer countries can't afford. Especially as the West protects our markets and puts in place so many obstacles for countries to jump over if they want to sell things to us

but at the same time just because we used to do it doesn't mean we can't criticise countries who still do. We used to keep slaves and deny women the vote, but I think we're right to criticise countries who do that now.
  • Options
    Global warming has just been made into another way to make money in businesses which beats the whole purpose. These eco cars, aren't eco friendly in the long run. The reason why we blame China for most of the problems is because the west exports most of our waste (mostly technologic wise) to their country to be recycled, though it's usually just burnt. The USA is the worst for this, and just brushes is off as if it's not their fault.
  • Options
    Also, don't forget that we no longer have much heavy or even light industry. Now we get the Chinese/Indians/Indonesians etc to make our consumer goods for us. Because we are largely a service/retail economy, most of the carbon we produce is for our own comfort and material greed, whereas developing countries are producing carbon on a large scale to manufacture consumer goods and other stuff for us. It would seem hypocritical to attribute the carbon being produced in these industries to Chinese peasants and low-wage labour when it is done to maintain our comparative advantage and our economy.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    Also, don't forget that we no longer have much heavy or even light industry. Now we get the Chinese/Indians/Indonesians etc to make our consumer goods for us. Because we are largely a service/retail economy, most of the carbon we produce is for our own comfort and material greed, whereas developing countries are producing carbon on a large scale to manufacture consumer goods and other stuff for us. It would seem hypocritical to attribute the carbon being produced in these industries to Chinese peasants and low-wage labour when it is done to maintain our comparative advantage and our economy.

To an extent that's true, but I wouldn't underplay the amount we still make. We just make it with less people. A few years ago I went round a Steel Plant in Sheffield where they were boasting about how they introduced various forms of technology which cut waste and energy use massively.

If places like India have a comparative advantage because they have cheaper labour costs, our advantage is skills and reduced waste and energy (ie more bangs for your buck)
  • Options
    We shouldn't really blame any country as the biggest problem. It's every countries fault.
  • Options
    It's not ok because it was never ok, we were just not as aware of it as we are now.

The point is, atleast we're trying to do something about it, they ened to coem up to par with us.
  • Options
    I don't see much good being done about it. I just see useless concerts being made worldwide (using electricity to the extreme), getting taxed for everything to be 'green' instead of evening out the problem and companies making money from it. There's also the fact these things that are made to be eco friendly, just aren't.

The governments are at fault more, they could convert cars to hydrogen, and support the research into making it even better than it currently is, but they wont because they will loose millions from the current oil there is left.
  • Options
    The scale of "global warming" is deliberately exaggerated by various groups with an agenda. It is hyped up by the newspapers, because it helps sell more copies to people who seriously believe this rubbish. It is hyped up by government, because they see it as a way of stealing yet more of our hard-earned money. It is hyped up by business, as they can make themselves look good by saying "see, we care about the environment".

Most of it is utter nonsense. Only 30 or 40 years ago, scientists claimed that there was an Ice Age on the way. And when we had the last Ice Age, there were no cars around back then, were there?
  • Options
    It's not the fact that temperatures can go catastrophically down as well as up (just like the stock market then ;) ) but the rate at which this is happening, which is unprecendented in human history.

Quite simply, nature will not have time to adapt to such rapid changes. Not will humans for that matter. And disaster is likely to ensue if we don't change the trend.

Just because temperatures are likely to rise in the next, say, 1,000 years and cause a rise of sea levels doesn't mean it's okay for it to happen in the next 50. That's akin to a man severing an artery in a road accident and refusing to go to hospital for a life-saving operation because he was still going to die one day anyway.
  • Options
    I honestly do not know what to think about the whole global warming thing, but I am hit with a good helping of cynicism when the government just increase the tax on fuel and whatnot, using it as some sort of justification.
    Meanwhile the likes of Brown continue to be ferried around in their Jaguars, while a family man watching his pennies closely finds that his Ford Galaxy, which he needs for his kids, is going to cost him more to tax and fuel now.
    And what do the goverment say? buy a 'new, more efficient car'. Hypocritial little turds, the lot of them.

Easy when he's probably got at least two mouths to feed. and a mortage to worry about too.
  • Options
    emilio87 wrote: »
    This is also reflected in the way for example Iran is being treated for their quest of Nuclear power. Does every sovereign nation not have the right to have access to technology? Is technology only reserved for "developped" and "civilised" countries? Even if they wanted it for a nuclear weapon, I would still say they have every right to have it. If Israel have it and the world's biggest rogue state, the United States have it, then so should Iran.

Iran has been offered help for a peaceful nuclear energy programme and they've refused it so far. Israel and the US don't threaten to exterminate whole races of people. Their soldiers don't goose step either.
  • Options
    Well obviously the politicians don't really need to care about global warming any more than is necessary to appear caring and win votes, or use a wave of public opinion to introduce a new tax (while at the same time putting relatively paltry amounts into things that will actually change behavoir like public transport). When they do spend money on the issue, it's on ridiculous publicity stunts like grants for solar panels. If they put that money into making the central power production more environmentally friendly in the first place, it would go much further, but it doesn't make good PR when compared to a councillor stood next to some happy family and their new roof. And why should they care? After all, what is Britain going to suffer? Slightly higher flood defence bills, slightly higher food prices and a hotter summer. What a disaster. It's the poor developing countries that will feel the brunt of this, and since when did anyone ever give a shit about them?
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Iran has been offered help for a peaceful nuclear energy programme and they've refused it so far. Israel and the US don't threaten to exterminate whole races of people.
    Are you suggesting Iran does?

And before you say that Ahmadinejad has said he wants to wipe Israel off the map, no, he never said such thing actually.
  • Options
    I'd like to see some conclusive evidence substantiating a man-made cause for global warming, but I shouldn't hold my breath...
  • Options
    Depends on what you class as conclusive. There has been more evidence to support man-made global warming in the last 10-15 years than there has been of any other issue in living memory.

There are still people out there who claim cigarettes don't have adverse effects or don't cause cancer. No evidence will convince them, overwhelming as it is. The same can be said of man-made global warming. But deep down most of the 'sceptics' know the truth just as well as the rest of us.

It's only because the issue is political that there are 'doubters'. If instead of discussing global warming we were discussing something that had no effect in people's lifestyles there would probably be a grand total of 0 people in the entire world who would question it, based on the thousands of tonnes of evidence.
  • Options
    I'd partly agree but heartedly dissagree on the nuke weapons issue apart from the fact that we should not use them full stop Iran has shown itselff to be a very hitler style run country you really sure you want to give them that power to people who would happily wipe us out (particuloarly with a religeous exscuse) after they kidnapped british marines and treated them so those are the crackpots you say are entitiled to nuclear weapons ?

Whens the next flight to the moon ?????????

as for china being entitled to pollute well we now do have the technology to do it better and considering most of what they make is rubbish they have a lot to answer for. they make the damn solar panels so why not use them themselves now thats hypocritical too isn't it ? they make the solar panels and sell them to us but do not use them themselves. when our industry was developing we strived to make quality products anything mostly made in china is utter crap and they have no right to do that !
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The scale of "global warming" is deliberately exaggerated by various groups with an agenda. It is hyped up by the newspapers, because it helps sell more copies to people who seriously believe this rubbish. It is hyped up by government, because they see it as a way of stealing yet more of our hard-earned money. It is hyped up by business, as they can make themselves look good by saying "see, we care about the environment".

Most of it is utter nonsense. Only 30 or 40 years ago, scientists claimed that there was an Ice Age on the way. And when we had the last Ice Age, there were no cars around back then, were there?

I'd agree although i say it truly is an issue govs and companies are hyping on it to make more money and no as much as i beleive that we are at least partly to blame for global warming I don't go buying papers because they talk of it of all the so called green people I am probably one that really is green as i waste as little as possible and live to a "what is this using up in resources and how can i reduce the waste" want an example in autum my computer provides most of my heat along with the heat lost by the water boiler no need for radiators until it is seriously cold and put an extra cover on the bed its simple but people don't think they shout I'm green ! then jump in the car and run round the corner, put on their heating when they could do without it, and many other things

one of the biggest hypocrits is tescos - summer ? airconditioning blasting of open doors - Winter ? 10 KW of heating on at the wide open doors, they make a pamphlet about being green say bugger all in it use 3 X the paper needed 10 X the ink needed and 2-4 X the power needed to print it (Yes I know i used to operate printing presses) just to produce a "pretty" pamphlet and of course it was not stated that it was printed on rycycled paper (no it didn't look like recycled either) which I am sure they would have gloated over if it was. of course they have the money to run on solar panels with all that profit they make and all that roof space but do they do it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !! I rest my case
  • Options
    Are you suggesting Iran does?

And before you say that Ahmadinejad has said he wants to wipe Israel off the map, no, he never said such thing actually.

It's not just that, it's the fact that a lot of what he says about Israel is either hate-filled or intimidatory, or both.
  • Options
    Yeh apparantly he said he wanted to wipe zionism off the map (not Israel). Well thats what George Galloway said anyway when he was on Question Time a few months back.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Yeh apparantly he said he wanted to wipe zionism off the map (not Israel). Well thats what George Galloway said anyway when he was on Question Time a few months back.
    Well I wouldn't take anything George Galloway has to say on Iran. He is correct in this instance, but he's spent most of his time cosying up to a rather vile Islamic regime that rivals Saudi Arabia in human rights, (the only difference between the two regimes being the particular extremist strand of Islam they follow - incidentally between them they public practically all of the world's Korans, inserting their own lines into it to increase anti-semitism and hostility to Christianity, and provide practically all of the worlds Islamic "education" - a rather worrying thought), most recently being found denying the fact that Iran has executed people for being homosexual.

Anyway, he said that he wanted to "wipe out this zionist regime." But this isn't exactly important, because either quote would signal rather hostile intentions towards another country. And so the question is whether a country who has signalled such intentions should be stopped from developing such weapons. And the other point to consider is how stable is the country attempting to develop nuclear weapons. And given Iran's record in sponsoring terrorist organisations, or at least turning a blind eye to it, I don't think it could pass this test. Criticise the action of America, Russia or the UK all you want, but the fact is that there is almost zero chance that such a weapon would get into the wrong hands in these countries. And finally consider the number of terrorists in that region of the world that genuinely believe that the right thing to do is to bring on the apocalypse, and you begin to see the issue. And if you question whether they really do believe this, think about this: the man who set himself on fire at Glasgow airport was brought to hospital with burns all over his body, with one exception - he'd carefull wrapped his genitals in fireproof material, so that it wouldn't be damaged for him virgins in heaven. Now I don't expect that would happen, but Iran having nuclear weapons would bring it one step closer.