Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Having a mirena fitted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having a Mirena coil fitted in August. I've read previous posts through searching, but guess I'm just worried about the on-the-day-pain! I found that my implant is causing a lot of sickness, nausea (sp?) and dizziness, so I really wanted a change, also my implant runs out next year.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I won't lie, it's definitely uncomfortable, but the worst thing I felt was a strong cramping sensation for a few seconds while they measured my uterus and put the coil in. The pain goes instantly after that, and you're left with a fabulous coil for 5 years which you can forget about :D

Take some strong painkillers about 30 minutes beforehand, make sure you eat something before you go (the nurse made me have some biscuits) and rest for the remainder of the day with some more painkillers and a hot water bottle. If they offer and injectable anaesthetic into the cervix, take it. I was offered one without question but some places put them in without a local.
    I had my coil fitted without any anaesthetic and it hurt, I then had to have it taken out 3 days later as it was falling out, and have another one put in.

I would say it definately hurt me quite a lot and I didn't want to do much for the rest of the day.

It's nothing that you can't bear though and the person fitting it is generally sensitive to the fact you are in discomfort.
    It's not a particularly plesant procedure having it fitted, but I wouldn't say it was particularly painful either, just uncomfortable.

I had a copper IUD fitted first and for about 2 days after that I had really bad cramping feelings and could barely move. It was lie in bed with a hot water bottle and painkillers. When I had a mirena fitted I was slightly uncomfortable for about half a day afterwards and then felt fine. Was happily in the pub in the evening without a care in the world.

I didn't get offered a local anaesthetic either time...didn't even know it was a possibility.
    I agree with what others have said. For me it was definitely uncomfortable, even having taken pain killers before. After having problems with the pill, mini pill and implant I currently have no complaints about it and it was definitely worth the pain of insertion. No anaesthetic for me, I didn't know it was an option. As twinklestar said though, it isn't anything unbearable and they know it isn't comfortable. I didn't want to do much for the rest of the day either, just cuddle up in a duvet and watch Disney films.
    I'm really shocked (not surprised sadly) that the option of local anaesthetic isn't even mentioned as an option, especially for nulliparous women.
    Nulliparous?

I know I could google it, but I'm lazy
    It means not having had any children. After having your children your cervix tends to be a little more accepting and therefore not as uncomfortable in situations like this!
    Nulliparous?

People who haven't had children.
    ive had 3, i have a copper coil at the moment
    I have never had an anaesthetic with any of them. The last one i didnt even feel it hardly any more than a cervical smear, but then again, i had had a baby 3 months earlier. The other two times it did hurt, but it was ok. I wouldnt say it hurt for the rest of the day, maybe an hour or two. I still went to work afterwards, but tried to take it easy.
    definitely worth it though. Its the only method of contraception i really get on with
    Nulliparous?

Sorry, everything in my head is in medspeak at the moment :o
    I think I might ask my doctor about this. It seems the injection isn't agreeing with me (coming up to being on my 4th week on my period) and so I'm a bit wary about the original plan of progressing to the implant.

Is the pain on the day anything like period pains? I get very severe cramps (hence injection) when I come on so if it's anything like that I could probably cope.
    youll be fine franki, its just like a strong period cramp, but its very quick
    Is the pain on the day anything like period pains? I get very severe cramps (hence injection) when I come on so if it's anything like that I could probably cope.

I used to have period pains which would leave me writhing around on the floor in agony - having a mirena fitted was a breeze compared to that :yes: It's definitely managable pain.
    go_away wrote: »
    I used to have period pains which would leave me writhing around on the floor in agony - having a mirena fitted was a breeze compared to that :yes: It's definitely managable pain.
    Oh wonderful :D. Think I'll go for that then.

Is it true it stops your periods altogether? That was most of the reason I was looking at other contraception because my periods are SO painful that I can barely move for like 2 days. Even if it just makes them lighter/less painful that would be good.
    My periods stopped for about about 12 months in the first year, then they came back, but they weren't heavy enough to warrant using any kind of extra protection, it was literally a case of washing away in the shower or wiping away on the loo and it still is like that. I get a monthly cycle now, but it's so light I hardly notice it. Oddly enough I ovulated a month ago, twas very strange :D
    Were your periods really heavy before? I'm guessing probably since I've found that heavy periods = immense cramps. I think I'm gonna have to definitely go for this. I will ring my doctor on Monday and ask if they do it.
    They were heavy when I first started my periods, but by the time I had my coil fitted I had been on the pill for 3 years which had sorted things out.

If your GP can't/won't fit them, you might be better off going through a family planning clinic, that's how I got mine.
    My sister had a coil fitted and fainted when the doctor tried the first time. When she went back she took some painkillers beforehand but said it was absolutely fine and thinks it was either she was too tense the first time or maybe because she was already feeling quite poorly with a virus. Either way she says she has no regrets and says it was the best thing she has ever done for contraception and her periods.
    Thankyou for all of your replies. I'm very grateful, and couldn't get back on the internet before now to read them. I'm very thankful for all your advice and experiences, it's definitely helped me to feel I've made the right choice. I don't feel too worried about the pain now, and will ask about the injection when I next see my GP, as she is fitting it. Think my initial scare was when she booked me in, with a nurse, herself and a room! It felt like she needs an army, but i'd rather be in many hands than few!