Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College Won't Buy Me A Laptop - What Do I DO?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why does it matter so much to you how much money I've got that? That's between me and the bank.
    Melian wrote: »
    Why does it matter so much to you how much money I've got that? That's between me and the bank.

Simply because you stated quite clearly in Linky that there is no way you could afford to buy your own laptop, when you quite clearly can.

That's all. Oh, and that you posted all your details up on the other public forum.

I think my point is that if you're going to post, at least be honest :)
    Melian, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm finding it quite frustrating when you're only responding to the parts of people's posts which are favourable to you. Have you even looked into the monitor option? Everyone has agreed that this would be the most practical solution for both you and for your college, even if they have to sacrifice one of their computers solely for your use. I'm not condoning the rude and insulting posts that some people have made in this thread but I can somewhat see their point that you don't seem to be taking their advice.

Scary Monster posted a very good example of what you could say to your college about WHY you need such a large screen and you haven't even acknowledged it afaik. A 20" laptop will be huge and very heavy - I used to carry my 17" (I think - possibly slightly smaller, although the one I have now is 17" widescreen and I have the problem with this one too) laptop around college with me with barely anything else in my bag and I would still have a painful back and shoulders by the end of the day. My laptop wasn't even particularly heavy.
    The laptop wouldn't be mine - it would be their property, but I'd be the one using it.
    Franki wrote: »
    Melian, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm finding it quite frustrating when you're only responding to the parts of people's posts which are favourable to you. Have you even looked into the monitor option? Everyone has agreed that this would be the most practical solution for both you and for your college, even if they have to sacrifice one of their computers solely for your use. I'm not condoning the rude and insulting posts that some people have made in this thread but I can somewhat see their point that you don't seem to be taking their advice.

Scary Monster posted a very good example of what you could say to your college about WHY you need such a large screen and you haven't even acknowledged it afaik. A 20" laptop will be huge and very heavy - I used to carry my 17" (I think - possibly slightly smaller, although the one I have now is 17" widescreen and I have the problem with this one too) laptop around college with me with barely anything else in my bag and I would still have a painful back and shoulders by the end of the day. My laptop wasn't even particularly heavy.

:yes:

There is no need for people being rude about this, but it is indeed frustrating when responses to anything that she doesn't want to hear are just not bothered with.

As you say, we've provided advice, and she has either ignored or steamrollered straight back to "Ineedalaptopandthecollegeshouldpay" solution, which they have already turned down.
    The laptop wouldn't be mine - it would be their property, but I'd be the one using it.

Which would then be practically useless once you have finished your course. Nobody else would have the need for such a beastie as it would be so very impractical.
    It won't be mine when the course has finished. When the course finishes, I'll be off to uni and should get a laptop through DSA.
    It won't be mine when the course has finished. When the course finishes, I'll be off to uni and should get a laptop through DSA.

You didn't read what I wrote properly. The 20" laptop would be effectively useless to the COLLEGE after you have finished as nobody will have need for such a massive laptop. An expensive investment when compared to setting aside a machine on a rota with a large screen.
    And how do you know that? Obviously, there are no other visually impaired students are there? :rolleyes:
    And how do you know that? Obviously, there are no other visually impaired students are there? :rolleyes:

:banghead:

As you've said before, people have different problems and maybe the 20" won't be suitable.

It obviously is a rare/unique request or they would have already had one to furnish you with, wouldn't they? They've obviously found more cost effective/alternative up until now.

Bollocks to this, I'm going to see Dark Knight :)
    You've already said that you're the first person with the condition that has been to your college - obviously this makes it very rare and the likelihood of there being another one before the laptop is completely out of date is fairly slim.
    You've already said that you're the first person with the condition that has been to your college - obviously this makes it very rare and the likelihood of there being another one before the laptop is completely out of date is fairly slim.

But there might be other people with different visual impairments that may need it.
    But there might be other people with different visual impairments that may need it.
    If it was that common for people to need a 20" laptop in the college, then surely they would have one already?

Also - I would like to know why you haven't answered my questions about whether you've asked about the monitor or if you've looked at Scary Monster's letter example? I find that quite rude since I wasn't being rude or insulting myself, just genuinely curious.
    I have looked at Scary Monster's suggestion. RNIB got in touch with me today and said they'd talk to the the disability team at college.

I have asked about the monitor, but:
    - What's to stop people abusing it?
    - What's t stop people changing the settings? Therefore, me having to sort them out myself?
    I have looked at Scary Monster's suggestion. RNIB got in touch with me today and said they'd talk to the the disability team at college.

- What's t stop people changing the settings? Therefore, me having to sort them out myself?

Perhaps they would be willing to set up a computer that just you are using then password protect through letting only your user account being able to log onto that computer?

Why would anybody abuse it? They will probably put a sign on or around the computer stating that it is for the use of those with severe sight problems only.

If they approve the monitor and the sole access then they will be able to set it so that only you can access the network through it, as well. The only people that would change the monitor settings anyway would be complete dickheads, and no offense, but everyone else at college has to deal with spending 5 minutes resetting the brightness and contrast because someone decided to be a wanker, so even with your sight difficulties I would not have masses of sympathy because it happens to everyone.
    so even with your sight difficulties I would not have masses of sympathy because it happens to everyone.

It's harder for me to change the settings than the average person because of my sight problems.

if you lot are going to attack me then don't bother.
    Perhaps they would be willing to set up a computer that just you are using then password protect through letting only your user account being able to log onto that computer?

All the computers are password protected, yet it's possible to change the settings. If someone changes them, then whoever uses the PC next has the same settings.
    There's always ways round that though - signs asking the previous user to put the settings back the way they found them etc. I think you are being a wee bit stubbon now!
    It's harder for me to change the settings than the average person because of my sight problems.

I'm not attacking you, but it DOES happen to everyone and while I'm aware that it will be harder for you to change them, you CAN change them and so you'll just have to deal with it as a fact of life. I appreciate that it is frustrating, but there's not a lot you can do about dickheads.

Also - what settings can you change from outside the network?
    so would i be if i was being bullied like i think melian is recently

Because it would be yours attached to your PC.
    or certainly "got at" unreasonably, surprisingly often

All the computers are password protected, yet it's possible to change the settings. If someone changes them, then whoever uses the PC next has the same settings.

Yes, computers in networs usually are, but I mean for them to dedicate a computer for you only meaning that everyone else are not able to log into that computer.
    or certainly "got at" unreasonably, surprisingly often
    I do appreciate that, and I have tried not to be rude, but you have to admit that it is slightly frustrating when someone posts advice (and lots of people, several times in this thread) and they seem to be just ignoring it and avoiding questions about why that is.
    There's always ways round that though - signs asking the previous user to put the settings back the way they found them etc. I think you are being a wee bit stubbon now!

Oh FFS. Do you honestly think everyone reads signs that are up?:rolleyes:
    Because it would be yours attached to your PC.

There's nothing to stop other people using my PC.
    Can I just clarify that this laptop would soley be for your use while at college?
    Would it not be lent out to anyone else that requests the use of this specific laptop?

(I should read from the beginning, but I'm too lazy!)
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Can I just clarify that this laptop would soley be for your use while at college?
    Would it not be lent out to anyone else that requests the use of this specific laptop?

(I should read from the beginning, but I'm too lazy!)

Yes, but it would be the property of the college - meaning that I can't take it home. (Which I won't need to do to)
    Yes, but it would be the property of the college - meaning that I can't take it home. (Which I won't need to do to)

But if someone else did require it wouldn't they be able to change the settings on it, the same as if the college provided you with a monitor?
    I think if we assume that no other solution works, then the best way to get a laptop is to make a case to the school. You need to say why you need it - look into if there is a precedent already. As SCC says people with dyslexia and reading problems get one, you have a visibility problem so you're kind of in the same boat. Do your background reading on it because it will make it much easier to convince the school if they or other schools or establishments have done things like this. Like you said, if you were at university you would get it.

Then don't be afraid to send your concise research and case to the governors either, as they can put serious pressure on the head etc.

Best of luck, but I still think honestly you could try other solutions and would get lots of the benefit of a laptop!

For the same price you could put nearly 10 22" monitors in the computer lab, for a class of 30 that's 1 in 3 people having them...

Also, don't forget alt - shift - print screen ;) takes 2 seconds and will reformat EVERYTHING for high contrast. You can go into the advanced settings of it and increase the contrast further too. I can post some comparitive screenshots if you're interested.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am slightly confused.

When you are on the internet like now, do you have a special laptop or computer at home?