Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mentioning uni in a covering letter

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm writing a covering letter to go with my CV and I don't know if mentioning uni will put off potential employers because I won't be round for very long before I'll be moving away. Should I be honest or just not mention it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know I found being a bit vague about future plans and not mentioning that I was definitely off to uni in the near future brought me much more success when looking for jobs.

Seem to remember ShyBoy made a thread saying he was having problems and thought that being a student wasn't helping.
    That's for temp/unskilled work, if it's work that's related to what you're going to be doing at uni then the fact that you're studying/will be studying it might make you a more attractive candidate.
    Are you going to uni this coming semester? If so i wouldnt even bother with jobs you need to write cover letters for, by the time you've gone through interviews/training etc you'd be starting anyway surely?
    Should I just mention that im waiting for my A level results then?
    icey wrote: »
    Are you going to uni this coming semester? If so i wouldnt even bother with jobs you need to write cover letters for, by the time you've gone through interviews/training etc you'd be starting anyway surely?

That's what I've been thinking, this is only for 10 hours a week in a shop but they said they wanted a CV and covering letter. I've handed forms/cvs into several other places and no one is getting back to me. I need a job but it's getting close to the end of summer that i'll be leaving soon anyway. Argh.
    Have you tried agency work, just say you're willing to do anything/any hours..they can normally get you something even if its just telesales...not amazing but pays the bills.
    As for shop work would you be working there still while you're at uni? or just until then?
    Another option (I considered this myself when i was having no luck on the job front) is to just lie and say you want full time perminant work then leave saying its not for you or something similar
    I wouldn't say anything about Uni/a levels in the covering letter, other than maybe you took xyz A levels but not had results yet to explain why the grades you have listed are predicted.
    No it'll just be until uni because I'm moving away. Not going very far but it won't be worth the costs of travelling there once I move so i'll be looking for something else once I get there.
    A lot depends on what job you are going for but the going for a job with the general attitude that the job is really beneath you and you are just doing it to earn a bit of money before moving on to something better is rarely going to attract you an offer unless it's someone you know well who is doing you a favour.

Unfortunately that's the way it is.