Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College Won't Buy Me A Laptop - What Do I DO?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    it does sound a bit of a lose/lose situation, if theyre being funny about a laptop, i think theyre going to be even funnier about monitors and small laptops with docking stations etc, it sounds like theyre not really even trying to help much at all, for whatever reason. I wonder if there are any grants to be applied for to maybe be able to get whatever is most appropriate without having to justify individual products to them, when they think all you need is a yellow screen, when it isnt
    it does sound a bit of a lose/lose situation, if theyre being funny about a laptop, i think theyre going to be even funnier about monitors and small laptops with docking stations etc, it sounds like theyre not really even trying to help much at all, for whatever reason.

No it doesnt. It sounds like they wont buy someone who doesnt need a new laptop a laptop.
    The small laptop and docking was for when Melian gets as far as Uni.

For the meantime it would be worth looking at other solutions, like getting them to get a 20" monitor with fixed settings for the library.

They've said no to a laptop, which they've probably just about got grounds for, but they are going to be hard pushed to say no to getting a monitor with suitable settings put into the library if those are the computers they've suggested you use.

Dear So and So,

Thank you for your suggestion that I use the library PCs. They are a very good facility however the screens are too small for me to be able to use becuase 'insert g_angels simple explanation of why small monitors don't work for you'.

To enable me to be able to use these PCs (and thus for college to comply with the DDA) one would need to have a 20" monitor with the following settings:

Insert whatever the settings are you need.

Yours Sincerely,

Melian.
    bossa wrote: »
    No it doesnt. It sounds like they wont buy someone who doesnt need a new laptop a laptop.

excuse me, whats your agenda?

She needs something other than whats provided, to enable her to continue her course like she would be able to do if she wasnt disabled. A laptop is probably the simplest solution
    The small laptop and docking was for when Melian gets as far as Uni.

For the meantime it would be worth looking at other solutions, like getting them to get a 20" monitor with fixed settings for the library.

They've said no to a laptop, which they've probably just about got grounds for, but they are going to be hard pushed to say no to getting a monitor with suitable settings put into the library if those are the computers they've suggested you use.

Dear So and So,

Thank you for your suggestion that I use the library PCs. They are a very good facility however the screens are too small for me to be able to use becuase 'insert g_angels simple explanation of why small monitors don't work for you'.

To enable me to be able to use these PCs (and thus for college to comply with the DDA) one would need to have a 20" monitor with the following settings:

Insert whatever the settings are you need.

Yours Sincerely,

Melian.

good thinking
    good thinking

Agreed.

I think part of the problem could be that Melian isn't explaining what the problem is. She didn't on here until the thread had gone on some time and was asked specifically to present information so we could work it out for ourselves. Eye-strain due to the smaller screen isn't enough to go on with something like this. Perhaps this has been the case at the college and they just don't quite get what the problem is - people can't know everything, and like we did on here, may assume that the OP is talking nonsense.

As soon as I read the informatin Melian presented, I then understood what the problem was (awaiting confirmation I am correct from Melian, but it looks that way). Withholding information is hardly conducive to reaching a resolution and should be presented at the beginning of any discussions if any progress is likely to be made.

I definitely think the 20" laptop is not the right way to go due to practicality/ergonomics, and that Melian should approach this on the "I need a large monitor and set times to be able to use a machine with said monitor" route.

You can get yourself a decent 20" monitor for just over £100, and so that is also easily enough affordable for one at home too. You don't need a docking station, just a cable to run from your small laptop to the big screen.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displays/Monitors/TFT+20+-+23/20%22+Asus+VW202S+Widescreen+5ms+?productId=28669

I don't think the college would have too many issues in paying £130 or whatever for a screen, when compared to many hundreds for a laptop (and case), and I think setting aside one machine per lesson with a reserved time for students with specific needs is not going to cost them any money, just a little time.
    Another plus side of the screen line of attack, and the suggested letter I wrote is that college are going to really struggle to say no to it, whereas they'll find 6 million reasons to say no to a laptop.

Good luck!
    Or do you want the information just so you can give her your blessing to ask for a laptop?

PMSL
    g_angel wrote: »
    Melian - is my over-simplified description correct:

You need the larger screen due to the movement of your eyes. With the smaller screen, the movement takes the outer points of the movement (hence what is seen) out of the boundaries of the screen, hence why a bigger screen will allow you to keep these points within the boundaries of what is displayed?

Pretty much, yes.
    You can't carry the laptop on your front or back,

I believe it is possible to buy backpacks (instead of shoulder bags) for laptops.

RE: carrying it aroundall day - if they do get me a laptop, I'm going to see if it's possible for me to keep it in the room where the disability team are based. There will be no issue with doing work at home, as I'll have a college email address and can email work to & from college. (or use my memory stick)
    Melian wrote: »

I believe it is possible to buy backpacks (instead of shoulder bags) for laptops.

It is, but I'll say again - have you SEEN how big a 20" laptop is? It's going to be huge. Just had a look and the biggest back packs I have found go up to carrying a 17" model.

I only found a couple of laptop bags at all that would fit a 20":

http://www.shopeezee.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SE-PORT-100207&cat=712

http://www.shopeezee.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SE-DI-N16178P&cat=712
    RE: carrying it aroundall day - if they do get me a laptop, I'm going to see if it's possible for me to keep it in the room where the disability team are based. There will be no issue with doing work at home, as I'll have a college email address and can email work to & from college. (or use my memory stick)

So, if you're leaving it there you certainly don't need a laptop then.
    So, if you're leaving it there you certainly don't need a laptop then.

For personal study in college I will do.
    Just another 2p, like I said earlier, why not just ask them to install a 22" monitor for your use? Or keep it in the disability room, you can move it onto whichever PC you're using and because of the wonders of modern digital connections it will set itself up. It will probably take less time than actually booting your laptop.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128036

As Scary Monster said, it's a lot more reasonable price wise and also you can say its a particular tool to solve your particular problem, whereas arguably (which is why several people asked why you needed one) a laptop could be seen as surplus to requirements.

Or it would just be easier for the school and cheaper to set you up a workstation only you could use. As I said, try the high contrast setting, alt - shift - printscreen if you haven't come across it already, it makes it easier to read.

But go for 22" over 20", it will be cheaper and bigger with less pixel density so you dont need a magniflying glass to read it :) laptops even at higher resolutions have higher native pixel densities so trust me - it will be harder to read. And with LCDs if you just bump the res down it can blur it to an extent making it even more difficult to read.
    Resolution, colour settings and background settings.
    alot of other people use different settings to what i use, when i got on the computer, i changed them back to suit me, takes about 2 minutes maximum tbh

pain in the arse but i'm sure all students have had to do it at some point

easily sorted

askin for just a monitor may be futile...but worth a shot surely?

good luck anyhoo :)
    It doesn't take 2 minutes and that would waste time, having to do that every single lesson.
    Just another 2p, like I said earlier, why not just ask them to install a 22" monitor for your use? Or keep it in the disability room, you can move it onto whichever PC you're using and because of the wonders of modern digital connections it will set itself up. It will probably take less time than actually booting your laptop.

But that would mean having to get them (or someone) to set it up every lesson and chase people to set it up during free periods.
    It doesn't take 2 minutes and that would waste time, having to do that every single lesson.

But that would mean having to get them (or someone) to set it up every lesson and chase people to set it up during free periods.

... and how long does a lap top take to boot up every time you use it?

It takes next to no time to change settings on a display. I've been playing with things like that in my job for years now. :yeees:

get in a bit early

maybe its just the college i went, but tutors usually allow time for booting up, getting yourself sorted etc

i doubt your lesson starts as soon as you walk in the room

you clearly said a few pages ago that your parents were gonna buy you just a monitor but didnt because your brother (?) said it affects whats happening in the tower (false) so if it was viable before....why not now?
    ... and how long does a lap top take to boot up every time you use it?

About 30 seconds. It takes much longer to sort out the settings on a computer.
    get in a bit early

I have to catch a bus to college. And most tutors don't open their rooms until the lesson starts.

I have to catch a bus to college. And most tutors don't open their rooms until the lesson starts.

30 seconds? i have a brand newy and it dont start up that quick

and like i said in the previous post, tutors dont expect you to walk in and get straight to work on a computer course, of course they're gonna allow people to get a seat, start up their computer and get themselves prepared

plus computer courses usually start with board/written work before you dive into actually using the computer

if your tutor knows your predicament, i am sure they will allow "extra time" to adjust your monitors settings! if not, report them
    Littleali wrote: »
    30 seconds? i have a brand newy and it dont start up that quick

This.

My laptop takes at least 2-3 minutes to start up from being off. Even if I just leave it on hibernate it takes at least a minute.

Utter, utter nonsense.

You're just being obtuse with all of your posts now.
    obtuse
    Word of the day calendar or something cal? ;)

But i do agree, you're just ignoring all advice (melian) except that what you want to hear it seems. Fact is you dont need a laptop, you want one (is the point about a dozen posters have been trying to make).
    A monitor perminantly set up in the college is a much more viable solution and i would imagine on a computer course you will be predominantly in the same room all the time so there shouldnt really be any issues there. I'd suggest using the letter template that somebody posted, its probably your best bet of getting it sorted..
    icey wrote: »
    Word of the day calendar or something cal? ;)

But i do agree, you're just ignoring all advice (melian) except that what you want to hear it seems. Fact is you dont need a laptop, you want one (is the point about a dozen posters have been trying to make).
    A monitor perminantly set up in the college is a much more viable solution and i would imagine on a computer course you will be predominantly in the same room all the time so there shouldnt really be any issues there. I'd suggest using the letter template that somebody posted, its probably your best bet of getting it sorted..

:D just a bit less obvious that calling somebody stupid straight out. The thread deserved a few more, but I help my finger-tongue ;)
    :D just a bit less obvious that calling somebody stupid straight out. The thread deserved a few more, but I help my finger-tongue ;)
    At least, until now :lol:
    i'll say it again. she wants a new laptop - tis all.

shes not accepting anyones suggestions except for "get her a new laptop".
    if she stamps her foot hard enough she might end up getting one
    those bloody blind people eh? its all take take take. They dont know theyre born!!
    Just to say you are all saying it doesnt take long to set up a monitor but have you thought it might actually take someone with sight problems a little longer?
    those bloody blind people eh? its all take take take. They dont know theyre born!!

Send 'em back to Russia !

I feel a bit sorry for Melian sometimes, she seems to cop a lot flack on these boards. There's quite a lot of intolerance to disability here (take Trinity's thread about social services). Some people on these boards are way too quick to jump to conclusions about people and their abilities (or lack of them) without a scrap of knowledge about a persons illness. That, and the fact there's a small army of people waiting for someone to say the smallest thing the wrong way so they can be jumped upon and ridiculed.

But back to the Melian's point.

I think your best bet is to go for a bigger monitor at college. Can't you make an account on the computer(s) that you'll be using at college and log into that with all your settings ready ?

Ridiculous comment. Grow up.