Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Grey at 17?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm quite worried. i noticed a few grey hairs when i was about 15. they have quickly got worse. I'm 17.. and have a fringe full of them!

I've been told its related to stress..? Or is it in my genes?

Has anyone else got the same problem? Just seems a bit early!

:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my mom had grey hairs at 17, so did my grandma, so i'm guessing it's in your genes.
    just ask phillip schofield...
    i started going grey at 21
    If you have dark hair then you are likely to go grey earlier, alot of ethnicities with dark hair go grey very young.
    However i know people who have gone grey drastically because of stress
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey grace_eliza,
    A friend of mine spotted my first grey hairs in a maths class when I was just 14. I was regularly dying my hair to cover them by the age of 21. It is entirely genetic. My Mum prematurely had a fully head of grey hair by the age of 45 and my Aunt also has completely grey hair, although you wouldn't know because like me she dyes it. My sister also has loads of grey. I'm pretty sure the stress thing is a myth when it comes to greys - hair loss is often related to stress though.

What I've realised over the years is that it's far more obvious to me than anyone else! Most of my friends are surprised when I point them out. I dye it because I'm getting to an age where it will make me look older than my years, but 21 was probably too young to start - I probably could have got away with it for a few more years.

It is early, but it's nothing to worry about - it doesn't mean you're suddenly going to get lots of wrinkles too ;)
    I've had grey hair when I was about 16, mine was all related to stress with exams/school. It's gone now though. If it's as bad as you say it is, try dying your hair as a temporary measure?
    My chemistry teacher at school went grey at 14 and decided not to dye it - she looked really nice - though she was obviously all grown up when she was teaching us!
    I have a nice patch which is getting bigger as time goes by.

I'm 21. I ain't complaining though because I dye my hair often enough usually to cover it anyway.

Just the way life goes eh?
    I noticed my first grey hairs at 16. At 26 I'm just getting to the point that I'm thinking about starting to dye it. But tbh as Helen says it's far more obvious to you than your firends. Most of mine still don't notice that I have grey hairs and those who do don't realise just how many.
    yehh well my dad might have gone grey at a young age cause i know when i was born he had a full head of grey hair? so i rekon it might be genes.

i dye my hair anyway, just because i really like the colour that i use, ive started pluking all my grey ones out though. probably not the best idea because they all stick out when i pin my fringe back.

fingers crossed they wont get any worse for a while!

thankyou :)