Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

putting in a new bathroom suite

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how long, roughly, should this take? i ask because we're in the middle of getting a new suite put in just now and its doing my nut in. the bath and shower were taken out just under a week ago and a man is currently installing the new bath, but not connecting it to the water or anything. not sure when the shower will be put in or when the tiles will be done. im estimating it'll take another 2 weeks, probably.

we're without a shower and having to go over to my parents friends for washes, which is rotten. my dad is doing parts of the job himself and getting guys he knows to come in and do other parts when they can. i asked him tonight if you could not just hire folk to come and and do the whole job over a few days, he said no, it would cost 5 grand :rolleyes:

is this accurate? or are my parents just trying to save a wad of cash (and go without a shower for 3 weeks :yeees: ) ?

Comments

• Options
    It shouldn't take that bloody long, that's for sure!
  • Options
    Ours was fitted within a day.
  • Options
    I should think you could take the old bath out and put the new one in one day; then do the same with the shower the next day; then the same with the toilet and sink, so that you're never without anything overnight, just have a mismatch of things for a few days.
  • Options
    It really depends on how much there is to do. It took a few days for my dad to sort out our bathroom, but a lot of that time was spent getting tiles off the wall and putting new ones up, and because some of the old fittings were odd it was a bit tricky placing things, so there was some snagging that had to be sorted out.
  • Options
    When we had ours done a few years ago the bath was replaced in a day (took over a month to get the water flow sorted out) and the tiles took about three/four days.

Having to go to other peoples for a shower really isnt on.
  • Options
    Even a fairly big re-fit of a decent sized bathroom shouldnt take much longer than a week.

I think the men were on site for 4 or 5 days when they did mine a few years ago. We were without a bath for one night, but never without a toilet.

It was getting the ultra thick layer of tiles off the wall which took them the longest amount of time, who the hell tiles over tiles?

As for the cost, mine was about £4k, and that included supplying and fitting a new boiler.
  • Options
    Well, dad and I spent about 4 months doing our downstairs cloakroom because we did it in spare time after work...

It all depends whether it's being worked on full time by people who do that kind of thing day in day out, or if it's being done in odd spare moments or at weekends by someone who doesn't get much practise

By the sounds of it yours will take as long as it takes, and it's probably the gaps between things being done that's taking the time rather than the actual plumbing etc.
  • Options
    My parents bathroom took about 3 months to do! But the bathroom men were particually crap and they had to even out an un even celing - which for some reason really stumpted them
  • Options
    Is it a case of refitting everything where they were before?
  • Options
    cheers for the replies guys. and lea_uk, yeah its just a case of fitting a new bath, sink and shower, and tiling the wall. i think my parents are just trying to save a few bob, by getting my relatives and guys my dad knows it to fit bits and pieces here and there, rather than hiring folk to do it all in the one go. bugger!!