Young Carers of The Mix, we need you! Tell us about your experiences of our services and give yourself a chance to win £50 of Amazon vouchers.

College Won't Buy Me A Laptop - What Do I DO?

2456789

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does anyone else on the course get a lap top? Or do they have to make do with fighting it out over the PCs in the computer room in frees/lunch?

    If they only get access to a standard PC in the computer room rather than issued with laptops it does seem like you are possibly asking for more than everyone else.

    How about talking to learning support and the IT techs and see if you can come to an agreement whereby if the large monitored PC is in use and there is another one free then you get priority and the person using it is asked to shift to the spare PC.

    That way you get equal facilities as everyone else. Are you eligible for disabled students allowance? I guess not but it's worth checking.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you eligible for disabled students allowance? I guess not but it's worth checking.

    No.

    The email I got yesterday said I can use the compters in the library, which I can't use. They know I'm doing a computer course and that I'm visually impaired.
    Even if this was false why wouldnt they just get you a 20" monitor for £100 instead? You just need to plug it in every time you wanna use it.

    But I may not have access to it as and when I need it.
    So let me get this straight..you are expecting them to supply a 20+'' monitor for use at college when you don't own one of that size at home?????

    No.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So where is the monitor you can use at college?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think someone just wants a new laptop.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you not save up for one? It sounds like you are fighting a losing battle and the more time you waste doing that the less likely it is going to be that you will get one. I do have sympathy for you though, but sometimes you can't have your own way all the time as unfair as it may seem. I hope you manage to get one some way or another anyhow.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ive been told that my son will probably be entitled to a laptop when he goes to secondary school/college because of his dyspraxia, so i would think with your disability it may be a case that youre entitled to something like that, but theyre just trying to get out of providing it.

    EVen when youre entitled to something, it doesnt always mean they make it easy to get, so you just have to keep pushing if its something you feel you need to do your course properly.

    I think the students union might be a good place to start
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bossa wrote: »
    I think someone just wants a new laptop.

    :confused: if I was that desparate for a new laptop, I'd save for one.

    Squeal - it would be a waste of time saving up for one, as when I'm off to uni in 2009, they should buy me a laptop via disabled students allowance.
    i would think with your disability it may be a case that youre entitled to something like that, but theyre just trying to get out of providing it.

    My mum pretty much said a similar thing.

    I mentioned this to my dad today who wasn't too happy about it. He did suggest I try mum's laptop (17") but even with the ressolution changed, it makes no difference at all. Dad is going to get in touch with college and find out what's going on. They did suggest using the computers in the library, but they're only 15". According to them, if I use my yellow screen cover, I should have no problems.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I still don't understand why altering the resolution won't help. A larger screen won't help if you are using the same resolution.

    Can you explain why this isn't the case?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've found that using a larger screen with the same resolution does help.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Very strange indeed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why is it? It doesn't help me at all and has never done.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Why is it? It doesn't help me at all and has never done.

    Because the same resolution on one size screen should not affect the eyes differently to a larger screen as you're looking at effectively the same information!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe in theory for normal eyes, but im not sure why you wont take what melian says is her experience, at face value?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    as mentioned ask them to just get u a monitor (i'd say you have more chance of that than a laptop) or buy ya own monitor

    you dont need a laptop
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Littleali wrote: »
    as mentioned ask them to just get u a monitor (i'd say you have more chance of that than a laptop) or buy ya own monitor

    you dont need a laptop

    There's no way I can afford my own monitor and I don't see why I should have to.

    I do need a laptop- if I don't have one then I would struggle to do personal study whilst in college, because I can't use their computers. (They know this) It would also be easier than trying to sort out the monitor at the start of every lesson.
    maybe in theory for normal eyes, but im not sure why you wont take what melian says is her experience, at face value?

    Thank you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    whilst in college, because I can't use their computers.

    why cant u use their computers?
    There's no way I can afford my own monitor

    bit further up, you said if you were desperate for a laptop, you'd save for one

    if they dont provide you with one, and you need one, surely that'll make u desperate?

    in which case a monitor would be chaper than a laptop :) tis all i was saying

    would be better to ask for a monitor from them than a laptop, you stand more of a chance with getting it
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I don't have a laptop (already explained why a computer won't be suitable) then I can't complete my course.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    If I don't have a laptop (already explained why a computer won't be suitable) then I can't complete my course.

    a computer with a larger monitor would be suitable, its not the computer thats the problem, its the monitor

    so ask for a monitor instead of a laptop!

    you dont need a laptop, you need a 20" screen!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nobody actually "needs" anything (well, apart from food, shelter type stuff)
    Under the disability laws, some people are entitled to things to help them acheive their potential as much as able bodied people, and in some cases that may be providing things like laptops or extra monitors, simple things that can lessen the disadvantage a bit. If theyre not going to buy her a laptop, i dont think theyll buy a monitor either, its not likely to be a case of them saying no because one is a few hundred more than the other IYKWIM, its likely them saying no because they want to try and get away with not getting her anything even if she actually is entitled to it
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    this comes from having recent experience with the special needs part of the education system and having to really really push for what my son is entitled to. Its not exactly the same thing, but its really opened my eyes to how it works a bit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If theyre not going to buy her a laptop, i dont think theyll buy a monitor either, its not likely to be a case of them saying no because one is a few hundred more than the other IYKWIM, its likely them saying no because they want to try and get away with not getting her anything even if she actually is entitled to it

    maybe, maybe not

    maybe they have a certain amount to spend on such things and a monitor would be a reasonable request in comparison to that budget, where as a laptop wouldnt?

    always worth asking

    if they say no, then ya know its because they're trying to get away with not getting her anything

    if she IS entitled to one, i doubt the college would refuse her one in the first place to be honest, because they know that she will go through other channels and get one anyways
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really can't see the school getting a laptop. Basically if they provided a large screen (not that it's any better than changing the res. on a small screen, as has already been explained) then that's done the job. There is no need for the college to provide you with your own personal laptop. None of the other kids have that facility provided to them. You wouldn't have to set the screen up each lesson, it would remain attached to a particular PC, which would obviously be your PC when you are in that room. Certainly provided you with a laptop is not just as easy as giving you a laptop. A network has to be maintained, and computers often have to have a very specific configuration otherwise they stop working. What's to stop you fiddling with the laptop and breaking it and then the school has to spend hours of their time fixing the configuration?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote: »
    I really can't see the school getting a laptop. Basically if they provided a large screen (not that it's any better than changing the res. on a small screen, as has already been explained) then that's done the job. There is no need for the college to provide you with your own personal laptop. None of the other kids have that facility provided to them. You wouldn't have to set the screen up each lesson, it would remain attached to a particular PC, which would obviously be your PC when you are in that room.

    As I've already stated, what's to stop other people using it and fucking around with the settings? That would mean having to spend at least 5 minutes each lesson sorting out.
    maybe they have a certain amount to spend on such things

    They can apply for grants.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    As I've already stated, what's to stop other people using it and fucking around with the settings? That would mean having to spend at least 5 minutes each lesson sorting out.

    Why should people be fucking around with the settings?

    What's to stop your laptop causing 5 minutes of delay each lesson. I know which one I think is more likely to cause hassle overall, and it ain't the monitor, it's the non-standard laptop computer that you disconnect and take with you.
    They can apply for grants.

    Which would probably cover the purchase price, not the associated costs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    As I've already stated, what's to stop other people using it and fucking around with the settings? That would mean having to spend at least 5 minutes each lesson sorting out.

    what settings? monitor settings? takes 1 min to sort out at most

    we all had to do it in college when an idiot had been on it before us, fact of life really
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Littleali wrote: »
    what settings? monitor settings? takes 1 min to sort out at most

    we all had to do it in college when an idiot had been on it before us, fact of life really

    Resolution, colour settings and background settings.
    Why should people be fucking around with the settings?

    I use different settings to most people.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Resolution, colour settings and background settings.



    I use different settings to most people.

    No matter what settings you use, I maintain that a laptop will cause a lot more issues over the course of a year than would a screen. Those issues directly equate to time lost, so your argument that a laptop is less hassle than a screen is invalid.

    If you want a laptop, then say so, but you're going to have to come up with a better reason, to be honest.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe in theory for normal eyes, but im not sure why you wont take what melian says is her experience, at face value?

    Simply because it sounds like nonsense.

    Unless there is specific information around the edge of the screen that she needs to take into her peripheral vision that can't be displayed on a smaller monitor (which the computer would resize anyway...), there should technically be no reason that something at the same resolution shouldn't be viewable on a slightly smaller screen when you're looking at it in the same way.

    Anyway Melian, have you actually SEEN a 20" laptop? They are stupidly big and also stupidly heavy. I am sure you would soon tire of lugging it around, never mind the much slower startup times of laptops. That would surely affect your time management.

    Watch this:

    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49284379,00.htm

    Just far too big to really lug around, and unless you're strong, you'll be knackered.


    Also, to show you £1200 is far higher than you need to go for a starting price:

    http://www.twenga.co.uk/prices-Aspire-9815WKMi-ACER-Laptop-248041-0
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    g_angel wrote: »
    there should technically be no reason that something at the same resolution shouldn't be viewable on a slightly smaller screen when you're looking at it in the same way.


    and you're an expert on her specific eye condition?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,328 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and you're an expert on her specific eye condition?

    He probably doesn't know what it is.:rolleyes:
Sign In or Register to comment.