Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni Transition To Working World

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just graduated and gone straight into a part time job. Retail, which I find rather dull. I am doing a sort of gap year or two I have decided now I have finished trying out different things, taking up new ones I have been meaning to but managing to have this bit of money on the side so I can go out etc and save for a bit of travelling as I am living with my family again.
Panicking a bit about getting into a work area that I actually enjoy and find stimulating. That being Arts related. I studied Fine Art at uni, which I have taken a break from for a bit but am looking to start again in my free time. Finding it really hard to find a related job though. Have applied to galleries in the past, but had no responses am finding it tough to get anywhere with that sort of thing. Don't reckon I can last much longer in my zombified job.
I never particularly wanted to go to uni, but I got through it in the end and I guess in reality I am glad I did. Now feels so strange that I have finished! My life has suddenly flipped, kind of exciting in one way but sometimes just wonder what to do next. SO many different directions I could go i n. Is hard to choose.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Right there with ya, except I graduated a year ago! Thinking about going back to university but I won't be able to afford it until 2009 and in any case I don't really know what I want to do! In the meantime settling down and starting a family are having to be put on hold, probably for a lot longer than I'd like while I find a career I'm happy in. Sucks
    Work in galleries and museums are really difficult to get, positions are known to be hugely competitive, with many people actually being largely over qualified with masters or PHD's. Sorry to sound like I am crushing your dream or something, I just wanted to tell you. It might be worth trying to volenteer in a place, perhaps as a guide, even being an envelope stuffer gets you through the door.
    kangoo wrote: »
    Right there with ya, except I graduated a year ago! Thinking about going back to university but I won't be able to afford it until 2009 and in any case I don't really know what I want to do! In the meantime settling down and starting a family are having to be put on hold, probably for a lot longer than I'd like while I find a career I'm happy in. Sucks

I was also thinking of going back to uni, but t he idea of a loan put me off it and not quite convinced I want to be in education anymore. Just don't want to get cut off from the Art world. So I am entering competitions, may sign up to some short courses and considering joining some artists studios in the not so distant future. From what I have come across though a lot of students seem to end up in similar situations to us. I guess more and more people put work as their number one priority today rather than family.
    budda wrote: »
    Work in galleries and museums are really difficult to get, positions are known to be hugely competitive, with many people actually being largely over qualified with masters or PHD's. Sorry to sound like I am crushing your dream or something, I just wanted to tell you. It might be worth trying to volenteer in a place, perhaps as a guide, even being an envelope stuffer gets you through the door.

Well it's not my dream to work in a gallery i would just rather do soemthing related to Art for a living at the moment. But that sounds like a good idea! I may well have to end up doing more volunteering. Thats what I did originally for retail in a charity shop. I really don't know why I didn't sign up for something more Arty voluntary wise. But I guess at the time I wanted to do something completely different outside uni.
    I'm trying to find a job in the arts field as well...not got much advice for you but just wanted to let you know, the Guardian publish arts/media related jobs on a Monday, they also have a very good online service where you can specify what jobs you're interested in and they send related ones to you. Also try the following two websites:
    www.artshub.co.uk
    www.artsjobsfinder.co.uk
    Good luck :thumb:
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a job in the arts field as well...not got much advice for you but just wanted to let you know, the Guardian publish arts/media related jobs on a Monday, they also have a very good online service where you can specify what jobs you're interested in and they send related ones to you. Also try the following two websites:
    www.artshub.co.uk
    www.artsjobsfinder.co.uk
    Good luck :thumb:

Cheers for that! :) Has given me a bit of hope! The only one I have come across before is the Arts Council page.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey, as well as the useful stuff NotStupidGirl has posted, you may find the voluntary arts network has some useful stuff. :)

The transition from uni to work is a really big deal imo - especially for art students I reckon. It can be a time of disillusionment, but also great opportunity and actually pretty fun trying different things out. :)
    **Helen** wrote: »
    NotStupidGirl

:lol: Cheers for that!