Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fathers at the Birth - Debate

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The mother should be the best person to take care of the newborn child, definitely, unless of course there is an actual reason why she shouldn't, ie if she was a danger to the child. When the child is older it becomes more even, but for the newborn and for a while after that I would suggest, the mother is THE best person to care for that child.

Again I agree in 999/1000 cases. If it would go to court (extremely unfortunate for a newborn! I think most parents would see sense...) I think the judgement based on the age of the baby and its dependence on its mother for nursing and just the chemical hormonal things (I'm sure I read babies calm down when they hear the mothers heartbeat, something about being in the womb... I don't know :p) would mean there would have to be exceptional circumstances for the father to take custody right from childbirth.

Although an example of how the system is biased I read a year or so ago: a father had done everything the court asked of him to get access (technically, its giving the child access to its father) but the mother had a tantrum and the judge said, despite the father doing no wrong at all, his main concern was for the mother and child, and him seeing the child would upset the mother, so he said no access - and barred the father from raising legal proceedings for the next 4 years as it was stressful to the mother. :confused:

I want those kind of incidents to stop, where really the father has no rights. Even IF he wins an access battle, the mother can easily just say no or be out when he turns up. What are the courts going to do? Send her to prison? There is no legal consequence to not adhering to the courts ruling unless you're the father.

I don't want babies snatched off the mothers in the delivery room and I don't think thats going to happen. I just want, in the unlikely case that the parents cant agree on a suitable arrangement themselves, and it goes to court, that situations like the above dont happen. That the father is judged on his merits as a parent as well as the mother, rather than it being a case of 'if the mother isnt abusing the kid, sorry but its up to her who sees it, and if she doesnt like you and doesnt want you to be in the childs life... not much you can do'. It's even more shocking if thats the case with grown up children, i.e. 8 or 9 year olds for example, parents get divorced, the bond with both parents is there and very very strong, mother ups and leaves. The court would still say the same thing.
  • Options
    Ah but you've moved on from the initial debate here. They are all valid points but like I said, you first came across as if you thought newborns should be removed and then given to the best parent straight away, in all cases. Now you're talking about something different.

Ok: if it IS stressfull to the mother, then that would affect the child, yes? I can see why the judge thought that, there should perhaps be more counselling and guidance available for both parties in a custody battle, and mediation and stuff. Also, what good is punishing the mother going to do? Put her in jail? I'm sure that wouldn't be in the child's best interests.

I'm sure in lots of cases you don't get the full story and there's a lot more to it than is reported.
  • Options
    I can think of at least 3 men i know with sole custody of their children. If the mother isnt best, then men do get custody.

I do think though that courts should do more to enforce access to willing loving fathers if the child wants it and the mother is making obstacles unnecessarily.
    I know of one case where the guy has been to court many times for this and its a shame.
  • Options
    :yes: I know men who have sole custody. It's not as rare as you might think. Shyboy, do you know lots of cases then where the mother has caused problems and the father has not got access? You seem to take this quite personally.
  • Options
    :yes: I know men who have sole custody. It's not as rare as you might think. Shyboy, do you know lots of cases then where the mother has caused problems and the father has not got access? You seem to take this quite personally.

I know lots, myself, my friends, and it really needs to stop.
  • Options
    Obvously there's more to the story but that was pretty much the judge's ruling. I would never advocate putting a mother in jail, but the way the system is set up i.e. a mother has to abuse her children basically, then it is up to her and no court in the land who gets to see and visit her children.

I know of two friends who were coached by their mums to hate their fathers after they split. 'Coached' makes it sound very devious but I don't think it was, its just the mums referred to the father as the 'bastard' or whatever. I think the best solution would be for the parents to split ways, hate each other whatever, but always remain cordial around the kids for the sake of the kids.

Again, I would hope in most cases the parents could have the sense to come to a mutually agreeable solution. And in most cases, the solution would be to stay with the mother - thats common sense like SCC says. But in the exceptional cases where the parents cant agree, and it does go to court, it should be weighed up based on the merits of both parents (and I agree that biologically the mother at infant stage does have a big benefit for the child and thats fine) and proceed from there, rather than being a case of 'prove the mother is abusive'.

Although one other note, I feel a bit... iffy about giving greater rights based on nursing alone as that feels like we're implying mothers who dont breastfeed are worse parents. :eek2:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Although one other note, I feel a bit... iffy about giving greater rights based on nursing alone as that feels like we're implying mothers who dont breastfeed are worse parents. :eek2:

its not that theyre worse parents, but formula milk does not have anything like the health benefits as breastmilk. It is absolutely a worse feeding choice for the child in many many ways. Unfortunately it isnt always possible, granted, but it is a fair issue worth mentioning.
  • Options
    It was never really nursing rights on its own, its the whole package of hormones and instinct that women develop when they become pregnant in order to make them take care of the child. Women who don't breastfeed still have all of those things.

In the above case, even if the mother has been a dick to the father and "coached" the children (which I don't agree with btw but can understand why it happens) then the mother might still be a better parent than the father. You don't know that the judge hasn't weighed up the parents based on merit - you just know that it went in the way of the mother.

Ideally yes, everything would be amicable and it's a shame that it's not.

Territt do you not have access to your child then? I did wonder if you had some sort of ulterior motive in your arguments. I'm sorry to hear that. I take it it wasn't amicable in your case?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    and proceed from there, rather than being a case of 'prove the mother is abusive'.

Thats the point ive been making, it should be down to who will be best for the child, not that the child will stay with the mother unless the mother is crap or abusive.
  • Options
    Actually Territt looking back at your posts you've just said things like "the baby shouldn't belong to the mother" etc, which isn't really making that point at all.
  • Options
    Territt do you not have access to your child then? I did wonder if you had some sort of ulterior motive in your arguments. I'm sorry to hear that. I take it it wasn't amicable in your case?

No its the other way around, when my mother and father split up in the late 80's there wasnt any choice but for me to live with my mother, with one weekend in two every other with my father, that was untill my mother decided to be a bitch and move me 200 miles from my father, now im 24 and see him once or twice a year, just when i need somewhere to sleep for a night in london, but theres no father/son thing between us which sucks, because from what other family members(from both sides of the family) i was a lot closer to my father then my mother, but now it to late, and i see when friends that have kids with ex's, the woman can pretty much tell him to fuck of when they go to pick the kids up. it sucks,
  • Options
    Actually Territt looking back at your posts you've just said things like "the baby shouldn't belong to the mother" etc, which isn't really making that point at all.

The point is that the child shouldnt belong to anyone,
  • Options
    Did you not get any choice in who you stayed with? Late 80s you would have been at the oldest 6 ... yes? hmm. Things might have changed since then though, don't you think? As in, fathers are considered more now.
    While I can see why it wasn't good that you were moved away from your father, I can see it being a right pain in the arse for you mum being totally limited to where you and her could live just because that's where your dad lives. This works both ways of course - would you be so angry if your father had been the one to move away?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    The point is that the child shouldnt belong to anyone,
    I think though, that when the baby is newborn it does "belong" to the mother in a sense (but again, in a different sense of ownership than owning a car or a book or something). It changes obviously as the child gets older but (I think I said this above) but immediately it's born and probably for a year or two afterwards, I think that yes, it "belongs" to the mother.
  • Options
    Did you not get any choice in who you stayed with? Late 80s you would have been at the oldest 6 ... yes? hmm. Things might have changed since then though, don't you think? As in, fathers are considered more now.

Not at all, i think Fathers "rights" are talked about more now, but nothing has changed, mothers can be a right bitch about access and pretty much nothing is done about it.

While I can see why it wasn't good that you were moved away from your father, I can see it being a right pain in the arse for you mum being totally limited to where you and her could live just because that's where your dad lives.

I think if a person has a child then they need to set limits what they can or cant do, moving the child away from the father is one of those things that shouldnt be done,
    This works both ways of course - would you be so angry if your father had been the one to move away?

Yes a 100% i would, as i said above if two people make the choice to have a child then they need to put the childs needs first.
  • Options
    what if the father wants to move? Is that ok?
    should the other parent follow?
    Once you have a child, should you just live in the same place forever?
  • Options
    what if the father wants to move? Is that ok??

If you had read the post above you would know my answer to that, at the end of the day no Perent should move with a child so far that it makes contact with the other perent hard.

should the other parent follow? ?

Again read above.

Once you have a child, should you just live in the same place forever?

Theres nothing wrong with moving around the same area, but to take a child 100's of miles away from there other perent is wrong, i cant see how anyone would see it any other way.
  • Options
    I dont know, im glad my mum was able to move as far away from my dad as possible. I do see your point in that respect, but i dont always think its avoidable or for the best to hang around in an area youre unhappy for the sake of the children, as long as every effort is still made to allow/provide contact, it can still work well. In your case you feel it would have been better to have stayed nearby. In my case I am glad my mum had the opportunity to move back to her family hundreds of miles away yet she always encouraged contact between me and my dad as much as possible.
  • Options
    and i know my dad wanted me to stay, but the thought he might have got custody instead of my mum, sends shivers down my spine.
  • Options
    and i know my dad wanted me to stay, but the thought he might have got custody instead of my mum, sends shivers down my spine.

I would have been 10 times better off with my father then my mum, but in the courts that didnt really matter because she was the mother.....
  • Options
    these days if you are of an age to make a decision, the courts would take that into account.

Also these days the non-resident parent can stop the mother from leaving the area.

personal experience - my brother has custody of my nephew. He wanted to move up to glasgow (from SE england). She got a court order preventing him from going.
    A few months later, she decided to move up to aberdeen herself. He had no way of stopping this though

So youre obviously upset (understandably) about laws back then, but theyre not even like that now
  • Options
    I think father's do have rights, but only in terms of visiting at weekends. I was basicaly forced to give up my saturdays for the first ten years of my life so I could spend the day with my father, who rarely turned up and was usually drunk when he did. If I was ill or something he'd tell his solicitor that my mother was making things difficult and she would usually have to go to court again. I did have the thing where a bunch of strangers asked me if I wanted to see him (which is a scary thing for a five year old) and they kept asking why when I said no. Hopefully things are different now but it's interesting how often the wrong decision is made. This discussion is so general that people will never agree, because each case is completely different and we can't say in a general discussion how things should be, because with families there are so many things to be taken into account.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

Theres nothing wrong with moving around the same area, but to take a child 100's of miles away from there other perent is wrong, i cant see how anyone would see it any other way.

The way I see it, is the mother is a person too, whos needs should also be taken into account. Its a family unit, and decisions need to be based on everyone and a satisfactory outcome for all. Perfect for the child, yet shit for the parent is not a good answer. Perfect for the parent, yet shit for the child is also not a good answer.
    Good or good enough so that everyone is happy is the best outcome.

Circumstances change. A woman whos ex partner left her with the kids, which shes happy about, should not "necessarily" have to stay in the same area forever, as long as reasonable access is facilitated for the absent parent if wanted. To be left, and then only being allowed to live near to her ex, is like being fucked over twice.
  • Options
    You're right SCC but we both know both mothers and fathers in a split-parenting situation play games with each other. Not turning up when they're supposed to, or going away for a 'spontaneous' holiday, etc etc all about closing the other parent out because they dont like them, without taking into account the effect the lack of that parent is having on the kid. So that kind of disruption should be minimised really... the real world is different though and although the parent would say they're moving because its an urgent need or whatever, they probably never considered the negative effect of moving the kid away from the other parent, or even saw it as a good thing to further alienate the ex partner.
  • Options
    If the father is aggressive to the mother, then I don't think he has a right to see the child's birth (the same with if it were a same sex relationship). the one carrying the baby calls the shots imo.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I never said the baby should be taken away at birth or anything like that, no! I only said that, if the parents disagree, the state should study the case on its own, instead of it being the father's responsibility (wrong word perhaps) to find reasons why the mother isn't suitable (supposing he thinks she isn't).
    If it was that way, mostly nothing about the outcome would change from how things are now. The difference would only be that in the cases that the mother truly isn't suitable but this isn't immediately apparent, it would be found out much sooner. Surely that's better for the baby?

And also, forget about the black/white "mother VS father" thing. Imagine for example a case where the mother is saying "No, I don't want my baby to have any contact with you" and the father is like "For God's sake, I'm not trying to steal him/her, I just want to have a part in his/her life."
    If you automatically "believe" the mother in this case, he (supposing he's actually a decent fellow) will have to sue or something before he can have the right to be a father. The way I'm thinking of, this would be found out sooner.

The main point is this: In most cases where the mother is the best choice to be the primary carer (I'm not doubting that for a second) nothing would be different. But in the few cases that she isn't, the right thing would be done much sooner.
  • Options
    But the danger is that what you are suggesting to happen only in extreme/difficult cases would be applied to all cases, even when there is no problem. It's a thin end of the wedge type thing.
  • Options
    But the danger is that what you are suggesting to happen only in extreme/difficult cases would be applied to all cases, even when there is no problem. It's a thin end of the wedge type thing.
    It would be applied to all cases, but on most of them it would make no difference to how things are now.
  • Options
    But you risk children being placed with the father even if both the father and mother would rather they stayed with the mother because they'd be evaluating each and every case, including cases that right now do not need to be evaluated.
  • Options
    I said "If the parents disagree"! That was a main part of what I was saying...