Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Covering letters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can someone please tell me what I have to put in a covering letter!? Its a job in a supermarket.

Thankyou :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Keep it fairly short and simple. I always put who I am, what job I'm applying for, what I am currently doing/have been doing, why I want a job with them and tell them when you are available for interview. :)
    Worryingly ive never done many cover letters :S
    I agree with what has been said above. Also note that many prefer to write a bit about themselves, also about stuff that's not relevant to the job itself. While having a wee tad of this should be ok, I'd be careful about overdoing that part, as the letter will be much longer than necessary. There's one thing some managers hate, and that's spending time reading a lot of stuff that's not connected to the job.

There's something called the "one page only rule" meaning that many employees try their best to fit their covering letter into one single page only.
    Thanks very much guys! All info is very useful and so are the links!:yes:
    I usually put

Dear Blah

I am applying for the job of Blah. Enclosed is my CV

I am suited for the job because....
    OR
    Although I have no experience in this particular role I gave gained *skills* from my previous posts

Thank you for considering me for this post. I look forward to hearing from you

Obviously a bit tarted up with better language. It doesn't have to be loads, just explaining what job you want and why. I often put a bit about my circumstances, student/graduate, just moved to the area, willing to travel for the job etc...