Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Travelling with an Xbox

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Sup people.

Basically, in August I'll be flying out to Australia for a year, and as I'll be moving into a flat, I'd like to take some of my home comforts with me. One of them being my Xbox 360.
I'm worried about putting my Xbox in my luggage because I know hnow shit they treat the bags, and I also know how fragile Xbox 360's can be. Do you reckon I'd be able to take it in my hand luggage? I mean, people take laptops don't they?
I'm thinking about doing that, but I'm still worried about it breaking or that it just gets annoying carrying that around.
How much do you think it would cost to have it sent over in a box labelled as fragile, and how would I go about doing that?
Cheers.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cost of postage is gonna be pretty expensive - even sending books to buyers in OZ from ebay has been difficult without sending in the hold of some dodgy Chinese ship for 2 months.

What I'd suggest would be to look at luggage designed to carry musical equipment - this kind of shit - https://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jqgmqnk8 (though sure you could get something cheaper and better suited).

Then look into some from for the inside that you can cut into the right shape to hold everything firmly in place.

It's going to be so much easier and cheaper to take it yourself than sending it seperately - bear in mind that if you send it it'll just be treated exactly the same way as if you took it with you, so you'll still need to spend a load on packing it properly.
    Just saw this on Amazon - though I'd still foam pack it as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplay-360-Metal-Case-Xbox/dp/B000Q6D4QK/ref=pd_sbs_ce_4
    Jim V wrote: »
    Cost of postage is gonna be pretty expensive - even sending books to buyers in OZ from ebay has been difficult without sending in the hold of some dodgy Chinese ship for 2 months.

What I'd suggest would be to look at luggage designed to carry musical equipment - this kind of shit - https://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jqgmqnk8 (though sure you could get something cheaper and better suited).

Then look into some from for the inside that you can cut into the right shape to hold everything firmly in place.

It's going to be so much easier and cheaper to take it yourself than sending it seperately - bear in mind that if you send it it'll just be treated exactly the same way as if you took it with you, so you'll still need to spend a load on packing it properly.

Yes, I agree with the musical instrument packaging. However, I've hade some dodgy experiences with that. One time when we were attending a brass band competition, we all checked our instruments in as special care packages in special wrapping. As we got onboard the plane we saw the crew loading the plane on the ground outside, and were a bit shocked to see that they threw the boxes around like any other luggage! So much for "special care". So while this approach seems good, it's all about how the luggage workers do their job in the end.

I'd put it in my hand luggage, where you have control of it.
    DHL-it?
    icey wrote: »
    DHL-it?

6 day transport service from DHL would be £200 - you'd have to check for longer shipping options for cheaper solutions (due to the box size, even without games, you're looking at an xxl package)

To put that in context the Sydnet Gumtree has someone selling their xbox 360 (one week old) for 360 australian dollars (190 pounds) so it'd be easier to just buy a new one there...
    How big is it? I think you could get away with having it in your hand luggage if you wanted to and i doubt there would be any restriction - however you would need to take it out when you go through the x-ray machine.

Alternatively i guess it might be cheaper - to sell the one you have in the UK and then buy a newish one from Ebay when you get to OZ and just take the games.
    Based on the Amazon stats a boxed 360 is -

38.1 x 38.1 x 14 cm ; 7 Kg
    If you are going to check it in, and dont want to spend megabucks you can do a DIY case, a good metal suitcase with a large bit of foam you cut a slot for the Xbox, perfect, secure the hindges/locks from breaking

however as others said it might be easier buying one out there, remember there Power/voltage differences in appliances and even the Reigon codes for games are different i believe.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Hellfire wrote: »
    the Reigon codes for games are different i believe.
    Both Europe and Australia use PAL, so it should be fine.
    Unless M$ has put some extra filter, which isn't unlikely.
    Thanks for the help guys.... think I'm gonna hand luggage it.
    It's not going to be ideal but atm I'm FUCKING skint, can't really afford any of the other stuff.
    If that's 7kg, I should be able to take like a tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, a phone charger and a few books aswell right?
    Both Europe and Australia use PAL, so it should be fine.
    Unless M$ has put some extra filter, which isn't unlikely.

Should be fine, DVD's won't play but as far as I'm away games are just encoded as either PAL or NTSC not with the full DVD region coding. Think old xbox games did have region codes, but not Xbox 360. Most obvious sign is that rips on P2P sites don't mention regions just PAL or NTSC/USA
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys.... think I'm gonna hand luggage it.
    It's not going to be ideal but atm I'm FUCKING skint, can't really afford any of the other stuff.
    If that's 7kg, I should be able to take like a tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, a phone charger and a few books aswell right?

Liquid allowance on hand luggage too remember!
    Jim V wrote: »
    Should be fine, DVD's won't play but as far as I'm away games are just encoded as either PAL or NTSC not with the full DVD region coding. Think old xbox games did have region codes, but not Xbox 360. Most obvious sign is that rips on P2P sites don't mention regions just PAL or NTSC/USA

Yeah I've already looked into it, it'll work fine. It sucks about the DVD's though, I had to watch them on a laptop last time I was there.

I also wanted to get my little TV sent over, cos I want my xbox in our room (it's a shared flat and I don't wanna stop people watching TV to feed my addiction to GTA or something) but apparantly the sound won't work. Looks like I'm buying one out there!
    to be honest, if you're staying there for a year, why not buy a new or second hand one and just sell it again before you go?

oh, you said you're skint....