Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Newcastle, Liverpool or Manchester?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone should come here. It's fabulous. It should be the law that everyone has to visit.

i was pleasantly surprised when i went to newcastle. i was a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience but it was really nice. i actually wish i'd looked at it for uni tbh cause it seemed like a lovely place to be.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    Nah, you just have to come the scenic route!
    Yes this is true. Mind you unless its a Saturday you have to have set back off about 30 mins before you arrive! Hexham it is then.......
    I'd say keep on going and go to Edinburgh instead.
    Well out of the three places I think Newcastle was the one that sounded the most friendly - however train fares are really pricey ATM unless you book well in advance but I did manage to get a cheap return ticket on Virgin Trains from a London station that is good for me to Manchester from a Thursday to Tuesday in about 2 weeks time - so now I need to think about whether I spend all that time exploring Manchester or maybe checkout Liverpool or even try for Newcastle from there - any suggestions?
    It's about three hours on the train from Manchester to Newcastle so I wouldn't come up here. Liverpool is nice for a day out- its an hour on the train, there's a train every 15 minutes and its about £10 return- but with the City of Culture crap it's one gigantic building site still. You can't even see the Liver Building and the waterfront because of all the building work.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Enjoy your trip from Euston then and watch for the tilt. Likewise I wouldn't recommend Newcastle, far too long for a day trip from Manchester and not especially cheap. Liverpool would be good, as could Sheffield (3 trains per hour, 60mins) and Leeds (4tph/60mins), maybe even York (3tph/90mins).

A Day ranger on the trains in Greater Manchester is £3.80 (http://www.gmpte.com/content.cfm?subcategory_id=111842) if you fancy the delights of Bolton, Stockport, Wigan or Rochdale.
    Tell me more about Liverpool

I already have the train ticket to Manchester However I got an el cheapo - quid each way ticket to Liverpool (from Manchester) so I have one going there on Friday and two tickets coming back for a quid each - one on saturday and one on sunday so if I like it I can stay longer.

So I could spent the entire 5 days in Manchester or see a bit of both sities which I quite like the sound of - but what to do?